Marathon Training

10 miler done! ran faster than i do in training even with an injury. wasnt going to let my knee stop me from finishing it so just tried to go easy on it, done it in 2hrs 15 mins :)

That's great well done! I did 10k today, in a PB, so was pleased with that. Had wanted to go for a longer run but I have done three extra gym classes/ training sessions this week compared to normal, so I was shattered! I did kettlebells for the first time on Friday and I was in a lot of pain on Saturday!

theres a new kettlebells class starting soon at the gym i attend, might try it one day!

the frozen peas have been out and used on my knee, medicinal frozen pea's..... everyone has some!

my friend was waiting at the finsih line for me with a protein shake too, yay!

You should definitely try kettlebells, it was hard work but a lot of fun.

How is your knee? Has it bothered you a lot before?

i have my own kettlebell at home, id go to the class to know how to use it and stop going after that

no not badly, resting it today instead of a 3 mile run but back to the running tommorow starting with a 6 mile faster run

i have my own kettlebell at home, id go to the class to know how to use it and stop going after that

no not badly, resting it today instead of a 3 mile run but back to the running tommorow starting with a 6 mile faster run

I've got a kettlebell hidden away at the bottom of the wardrobe but never really known what to do with it - might dig it out now!

How many races do you plan on doing between now and your marathon?

i have a half marathon in feb, but other than that nothing planned yet. could easily change though as im always finding more to do! theres usually a sport relief run in my local park around march so might do that if its on, thats only either a 3 mile or a 6 mile.
after the marathon ive got another half in september, but will be looking for more halves to do aswell

Hi Ladies :)

I've not posted on minimins for ages because I've moved my focus from "dieting/maintaining" to training for the Paris Marathon, which is also 7 April. I am new to running and have been building up my distance since completing C25K in February. I started following a 22 week training plan on 22 October and today completed my longest run ever - 10.6 miles (was meant to be 10 but had to detour around flood water!). I've been trying to do my long runs at no faster than 11 min/mile but today I invited friends along and followed their pace - averaged 9.17 min/mile. I'm not sure how my body will cope in the days to come!

I've been trying out sports drinks, Beet It shots and recovery shakes, but not yet tried out the gels. I'm waiting for a longer run (I've read you only need them when you're running more than 2 hours - that should be soon). It was interesting reading your posts about gels - I'll make a note of your findings in my training journal so I will know which ones to avoid!

I've signed up for some races in December - a 10k and a 5k, and I am meant to enter a half marathon as part of my plan in January, but can't find one locally so think I'll find some friends to run 13 miles with me and give me a medal at the end!!

I've been doing loads of reading - have subscribed to Running World and Women's Running mags, borrowed all the marathon books I could find in the library and have just won my own copy of the Women's Running Marathon Training guide. I'm learning loads and trying to put everything into practice. I also listen to Mojo for Running podcasts when I run and she has a lot of interesting things to say. On her advice I've just bought a clip on metronome on ebay (£5) so that I can train myself to run at 180 steps per minute. Also good are the NHS C25K+ podcasts.

I've been running 3 times a week, gym twice and yoga once. I've joined a running club and go when I can, but I usually find it more convenient to run when it suits me. I should make more of an effort though as it is a good opportunity to meet more experienced runners and push myself.

I've bought the new Garmin Forerunner 10 and track everything on Garmin Connect and Runkeeper. I find this really motivational. All the gear and hopefully some idea!!

Hi Slimmersally, welcome back to the boards!

How are you finding the Women's Running marathon book? I subscribe to the magazine, which I really like, and have been toying with the idea of getting the book as well. Does it have training plans etc in it? Are you following a plan from there or somewhere different?

I only really started using the gels when I hit the 12 mile mark. I did one 12 mile run, my first ever, and when I came home I felt really unwell. I had only had weetabix for breakfast and nothing on the run. So, the next time I took an energy gel with me (a SIS one), ran 13 miles and felt absolutely fine. I try not to have them for anything less than 10 miles.

How are you finding running club? I've just joined one, only been to one session, but was really surprised to find that I was the fastest runner, as I always consider myself quite slow! It was great to do some proper hill and interval training though, as I've not really done that before.

Gina - sounds like you have a few things planned. I need to get myself in gear and sort some more races out too.

Have either of you ever tried trail running? My friend has asked me to do the Kielder Marathon with her, which is not until October 2013, but its mainly on trails, and I'm a bit dubious as I usually run in the city, so all concrete pavements!

The WR Marathon Book is good - it covers everything and there is plenty of female specific advice. Nice recipes too - tried one Saturday night (caramelised onions and nutty cous cous) and even OH loved it and he usually moans about cous cous!! There are training plans but the same ones as on their website (I'm pretty sure).

I looked at loads of plans before choosing one. I went with Hal Higdon's Marathon 3 which is aimed at experience marathon runners (of which I am not!) who only have time for 3 runs a week. It didn't seem too different from other plans I'd seen and I liked that it went for 22 weeks which was longer than any other plan I'd seen. It doesn't include hill or interval training but I'm going to add these in myself.

I live on the edge of a town so within a few minutes am running on country lanes which is lovely. I also have forest and hill trails to run on less than a mile from home, so I bought a pair of trail shoes and do these with my dogs. It's a bit wet up there now though and there's not enough daylight, so haven't done trails for a few weeks.

Running club is good and I really should go more often. I was pleased with how well I keep up with them. The last two times I've been there have been other newbies and they haven't kept up, so have been asked to join their beginners group. Makes me feel quite smug!!

Thanks for sharing your gel strategy with me. I will be doing 12 miles the weekend after next, so will give one a try. I have the SIS ones ready to go.

My thighs are a bit stiff today after yesterday's not so slow long run. First time I've ever felt stiff after running. I'm looking forward to increasing my speed on my shorter runs now and doing more hills.

Off to bed. I'm shattered. I am due to run tomorrow but the forecast says rain in the morning and night, so I may just leave it until Wednesday when the sun will be shining, although freezing!

My training plan has me doing a12 mile run two weeks before my marathon. There is a local half marathon that weekend. Should I enter or should I go for a slow run on my own? Advice welcome....

id go for the half marathon, but take it aslower pace? possibly wont be a PB but id use it as a training run not a race run?

pleased to say, my injury has gone. can now run without the knee pains anymore, horray! took a week off to recover from it, was very hesitant but id sooner loose a weeks training than be out for a long time with a worse injury. only did a little run yesterday, 2 1/2 miles, just enough to test out whether id recovered fully. the plan was to do a quick run, and if it was painful i could still walk the rest but there was no need to walk any of it! nice run i say

i only use gels for runs that are 10 miles +, i dont see the need for any milage less!
i use the orange highfive ones, maxfuel viper ones are pretty good too.

welcome sally! is it your first marathon too?

i try to do a weights session at least twice a week, mainly concentrating on lower body and core. seems to be helping....

Last edited:
Glad to hear you're mended Gina.

My first marathon and every long run is a new furthest distance for me. I think I will do the half marathon at end of March and run it slow as it will be good experience for race day organisation.

furthest ive done is a half marathon, it was part of the guild run series (5k, 10k, 13 mile, 10 mile) it was the 10 miler that did the injury i think.
tommorows run on my plan is a 3 mile jog, saturdays is only 5 miles but a fast run. ill struggle with fast, i cant run fast! my average pace is 13 mins per mile so pretty slow compared to some...

Sally - I'd definately do the half marathon if I were you. I am doing a half (Leeds) two weeks before my full marathon, and will just count it as part of the training.

I think Gina hit the nail on the head about how it will help with race preparation - I was really nervous before my half marathon, mainly because I didn't know what to expect. I think going along and doing an organised run will help calm pre-race nerves.

I'm feeling a bit stressed that I haven't done a run of more than 8 miles since my half marathon a month ago. I've been so busy at work that I lost two weeks of running or going to the gym, then since then the weather has been really bad here, with heavy rain most mornings (which is when I run). Will try for a long run on Sunday, but I'm scared that I will suddenly have lost the ability to run more than 6 miles!!

5 mile fast run is planned for tommorow, i have a metafit class before that but its about 5 miles back home from the gym so ill run it home if my legs dont feel like jelly :D

Hi Gina

What is a metafit class?

I'm on the lookout for new trainers too. Want to get them after Christmas so they will see me through my marathon training and the marathon itself. I wear Mizuno at the minute but I get blisters on the inside of my feet during long runs, so I think it's time for something different.

Long run for me tomorrow. Fingers crossed.

Back