Measuring success by the scales

Thanks KD, I've been really down this week as i've been used to the 3-4lbs a week losses, and so when i lost 2 this week i couldn't understand it, i've been 100% since day one and you are right i MUST be losing weight even if the scales are a touch stubborn. So thank you again for brightening my day.
xxx

Fabulous thoughts!!!and so well put!

Thank you so much KD. I was just about to post on here, as my weigh in is tonight and I know that I haven't lost anything. I was so worried that a no loss, or horrors of horrors, a gain, would send me back to the biscuit tin/wine bottle/anything I could lay my hands on. But, I will think of your words, and hopefully be strong.:)

Great post KD.
I'm another stikler for getting annoyed if the scales haven't moved as much as the effort i've put in.
Dam you scales, you can not beat my success. lol!
:)

Wow what a great post and so true!!!

I too have a love / hate relationship with the scales - I will read this often.

Excellent KD :D

Today my CDC made me get on the scales carrying the weight I have lost so far. I couldn't lift it! Even smaller losses are adding to our totals.

Fact: Stick to the plan and you definitely lose weight
Fact: You can control what you put in your mouth
Fact: You cannot control what the scales say.

So what do you celebrate? The scales showing a loss, or the fact that you kept to the diet all week?

What if you stick to the diet, but the scales don’t reflect your effort? Will you be disappointed, even though you have done everything correctly and couldn’t possibly do any better? Knowing that you will have lost weight…but it didn’t mean anything because the scales are giving the wrong result?

What if you ‘cheat’ and the scales show a big loss…does that mean you’ve succeeded and need a pat on the back?

Or even if you’ve been 100% and the scales are showing a loss? Does it mean more to you? Does that mean you’ve done even better than 100%?

I think the scales are a wonderful tool. I weigh daily, and love seeing them give the same reading day in and out, but that’s not what I really celebrate.

I celebrate being in control of what I put in my mouth, because that’s what I have done. I don’t celebrate what the scales say.

So if you’ve stayed the same one week, or just lost that one pound….if you’ve kept to the diet 100%, then be proud, because that’s what it’s all about. Stick to the diet and the weight is coming off….whether or not the scales agree. And you’re worth the same amount of applause than those who have lost more.

1lbs, 1 stone, it doesn’t matter. You can’t do better than 100% after all ;)

So do me a favour, and next time you go to your CDC for a weigh in, if you’ve been 100%, go in rejoicing.

Tell him/her you are going to be one of their success stories, because you were in control this week and will be next. If the scales reflect this, that’s just the icing on the cake. You’ve lost weight anyway. You don’t need a mechanical instrument to tell you whether you are in control or not ;)

Oooh. A nice big font....cos I think this is important:cool:

That is inspirational!!!!!!!

I've just re-read this post because this week my scales are not co-operating!!! I was starting to feel really down about it when I remembered that i'd read this post a few days ago. Thanks KD it made me feel better.

:clap: So glad it helps :)

Keep reading it whenever the scales do their own thing:rolleyes:

Ha, so glad I listened to you KD, it turns out my scales lie. I have actually lost 5lbs this week, not put on like my stupid scales said.

Thanks for this post! Its soooo true...i'll bare this thread in mind next time i'm feeling dissapointed! x

What a great way to look at the scales.. I must admit I'm a slave to them sometimes and hate it when they don't move.. so will be reading your post and remembering it! :) Thanks. Perhaps my dress size should be my goal not my weight..

I just posted this again on the cd forum as it was a great help to me when i was on cd, im sorry KD i couldnt remember who had posted it or where i had seen it, hope you dont mind.xx

I love this post. :)

I'm currently on Day 6 of a restart (my last restart :D) and I'm even contemplating not being weighed for a few weeks. Don't know yet if my CDC will go for it. But I know that in the past, I've lived and died (IYKWIM) by what those mechanical marvels have told me about how I'm doing. But they lie! They do - they've lied before. No machine should have the power to tell me that I'm not doing as well as I think I am!!

I remember being a member of a slimming club a few years ago (I'll name no names, but it's one of the big ones :)) and being asked, by its leader/consultant, "So, Lily. Why do you think you only lost a pound this week?"

Grrr...

I had no answers for that one, cos I'd been faithful to the diet, 100%. I remember feeling utterly demotivated. The insinuation that I'd somehow cheated was enough to make me go home... and do just that. :slap:

I have a feeling I didn't go back many times after that - but then I've been on so many diets (and been a slave to the scales) I really can't remember.

Who needs scales? I'll know that I'm losing weight. If you stick to the CD 100% it's impossible not to, right?

Thanks KD. :clap:

I just posted this again on the cd forum as it was a great help to me when i was on cd, im sorry KD i couldnt remember who had posted it or where i had seen it, hope you dont mind.xx

Whoops, missed this. Don't mind at all :D

I'm even contemplating not being weighed for a few weeks. Don't know yet if my CDC will go for it.

She shouldn't, as she has to weigh you, but you could ask her not to tell you the results. Not sure I could have done that :D

No machine should have the power to tell me that I'm not doing as well as I think I am!!

Exactly!!!

I too have bad memories of slimming clubs. Good memories too, but they involved the annual reunion when we all met up again in January, trying to get back down for the summer :rolleyes:

But even if the leaders were nice about it, it never sat well with me. Do 100% and lose well, get praise. Do 100% and not so well, miss out on slimmer of the week :D When really, I needed more encouragement on those weeks. I know I put much too much importance on that weigh day.

Who needs scales? I'll know that I'm losing weight. If you stick to the CD 100% it's impossible not to, right?

Yep...correct :D Though sometimes fat will get replaced by water, which will whoosh away at some point. Scales wont tell you that, but it happens a lot.

KD said:
She shouldn't, as she has to weigh you, but you could ask her not to tell you the results. Not sure I could have done that :D

LOL, no I'm not sure I'll be able to either, if I'm honest. I'm seeing my CDC on Wednesday, so I'll see how I feel then!

Thanks for the reply. :)

LOL, no I'm not sure I'll be able to either, if I'm honest. I'm seeing my CDC on Wednesday, so I'll see how I feel then!

Thanks for the reply. :)

Was just thinking...since your CDC doesn't have to actually see you each week, she wouldn't have to weigh you weekly either. As long as she's weighing monthly, you could still see her for goodies/support etc weekly

Anyway, don't think it matters really. Once you know how it can make the ol' thinking a bit crooked, you can find a way around it or 'turn off' and focus on your own intrinsic motivation IYKWIM ;)

Back