Moonwatcher's (Final) Diary

I weigh Fridays too, it's nice to weigh before the weekend because I often have a meal with my family on Saturday so at least if I have anything 'naughty' I can be good for the rest of the week then!

I am drooling over your food menus! Where do you get your recipes from?
The Cajun spiced veg omelette and the homemade red cabbage coleslaw sound soooo yum. :drool:

A lot of my meals are my own concoctions, but often based on recipes or combinations of foods I have seen in recipes. I have so many cookbooks, kindle cookbooks and food mags that I'll never live long enough to try everything I fancy. I'm going to do my very best though!

Yaye we can be the Friday Club because that's my day too :) And I'll still be weighing in from NZ!

Friday club it is then! Good luck to us all for tomorrow!

Hi MW... Just popping in to subscribe. Seems like you've got lots of support already.. Go you!!

Btw.. what about using a wee bit of honey instead of the sugar in the yogurt? Far better for you .. it's what I have with my porridge in the mornings.

Hi Em, thanks for popping by. This is a very supportive part of the forum - lots of lovely ladies here.
I do have honey sometimes when I have it in the house, but I much prefer the taste of the dark brown sugar. Sometimes I find honey a bit scented in flavour. I only stir in a level teaspoon though, which gives it a lovely taste and I find it takes off the sharpness of the yogurt.

Woohooo for the Friday club :party0011:

Lots of crossed fingers for the Friday club for tomorrow!

Hello lovely :) Welcome! Hope SW works for you :)

hello lovely
welcome to the forum you will get loads of support from us x x x x

Hi Princess and Chezz. Thanks for the welcome. I'm hoping to be able to return the support, once I have had a chance to subscribe to a few more threads.

Thursday August 14th

Breakfast: 2 hard boiled eggs with a teeny knob of butter, S&P, natural yogurt with brown sugar and a sprinkle of dessicated coconut (eek 3 syns for the coconut, but very tasty!) freshly squeezed juice of one large orange

Lunch: some leftover mince and veg chilli on a jacket potato, dessertspoon of natural yogurt

Dinner: last minute change of plan to bacon medallions, scrambled eggs, with tomatoes and mushrooms (fried in a little olive oil), HP sauce, melon wedge and a pear

Drinks: water, one earl grey tea and one semi-skimmed milky coffee

Total syns for the day: 8.5
HEA = .milk in milky coffee and in tea, HEB = olive oil

Now, far-be-it for me to open up the fruit juice=syns debate(;D) but I am not synning the breakfast orange juice. I take the point that fruit juice is too 'easy' to snarf down in bulk, without getting the fibre and without the natural check that eating lots of fruit would give, but this was one orange, freshly squeezed, with 'bits' in. I can't eat orange segment skin first thing, without it triggering a really bad IBS reaction, so squeezed it is for me! Just don't shop me to the SW police. LOL!

WI tomorrow. Can't stop yawning, so will catch up on some diaries tomorrow. Night all. zzzzz

Last edited:
Just about to dash out, but quick update to say have lost 3.2 lbs at WI. Really pleased with that as it is after only 4 days. I might hop on scales on Monday just to see what a full week shows, but will keep my WI to Friday's. Will catch up with y'awl later. Have to go to deposit cheque in bank, which means we can now start looking for our motor home/camper van/demountable camper/van to convert in earnest. We keep changing our minds about what we want -think it will be even worse when the money is actually there to spend!

Don't worry about the coconut calories - yes it's a bit more than you thought - but it's all good in terms of varied diet. Nuts are great fats and also help you go to the toilet :) HUGE well done for the loss lovely :) xxx

Well done on your loss this week :bunnydance:

Don't worry about the coconut calories - yes it's a bit more than you thought - but it's all good in terms of varied diet. Nuts are great fats and also help you go to the toilet :) HUGE well done for the loss lovely :) xxx

Thanks Blue and Princess - was very pleased, not hungry once and getting back onto sensible meals has been good for my energy levels too. I couldn't agree more about the coconut, Princess. I'm a great believer in a little of what you fancy... and 3 syns on that is better spent than on chocolate I suppose! In fact, I enjoyed it so much that I had it again today!

Have been trawling through Ebay all night. At the moment I never want to see another grey 'dralon-ed' campervan again! Will update food later, or maybe tomorrow. Just going to have a quick look at diaries now.

Food for Friday 15th August

Breakfast: Yogurt, brown sugar and coconut

Late morning went for a quick trip to nearby town to go to bank and get a few bits and pieces (mainly cat food and goodies, before she reports us to the RSPCA)! Managed to avoid the siren call of Costas, but picked up some real coffee to have a relaxing coffee at home instead!

Late Lunch once back at home: Veg and Chilli Omelette with sprinkling of cheese, an apple

Dinner: Beef and veg curry with spicy wedges, salad, a pear

Snacks: 20 of OH's Nobby's sweet chilli peanuts - it was 10, but somehow they found their way into my hands again, managed to stop at 20 (which I still work out to be about 8 syns!), half a white choc cookie

Drinks: water, one coffee with cream

Total syns for the day: 16.5, not too worried about being a but over, as rest of week so far has been under.
HEA: cheese on omelette
HEB: oil on wedges

Can't wait for next week's food shopping as this week has felt like 101 ways with mince and potatoes!

Saturday 16th August

Breakfast: Microwaved lemon and cinnamon 'egg custard'

Lunch: Yesterday's leftover beef and veg curry on jacket potato

Dinner: GF spaghetti with smoky tomato, pepper and onion sauce (smoked garlic and smoked paprika for the smoky taste) mozzarella on top, beetroot, fresh pineapple with mini meringue nest and a sliver of vanilla ice cream

Snack: One finger of a multi pack twirl

Drinks: Water, earl grey tea and one coffee with cream

Total syns for the day:13
HEA: mozzarella
HEB: oil for cooking

Hey Moonwatcher, subscribing to the new diary :)

Well done on the loss, excellent result. Food is looking very good and sounds like you are enjoying being back on slimming world.

How have you got on with the garden so far? That was the big plan for the summer holidays wasn't it?

Jumped on the scales today - will stick to Friday as official WI, but wanted to see what a full week of SW showed. Scale happy dance as I have lost another 0.8 of a pound, which makes the first full week a 4lb loss! Have recorded it in my stats here as it puts me into the 15s and I like seeing the number, but won't be double weighing each week - Friday it will be!

Yesterday's food was a bit random, with quite a few syns, but they still didn't take me over the total weekly amount of 105, so OK.

Sunday 17th August 2014

Breakfast: Yogurt with brown sugar and coconut, two small pieces GF toast with a little butter and honey

Main meal: Lentil, beef, potato and veg stew, cooked in the slow cooker.

Drinks: Water, earl grey tea, milky coffee

Snacks: Two small packets of Wotsits (from multi pack), one small Twirl finger

Syns for the day: 21.5
HEA: milk in teas and coffee
HEB: Bread (not wholemeal as I can't have it, but will count this as a gluten free 'tweak' occasionally)

Hey Moonwatcher, subscribing to the new diary :)

Well done on the loss, excellent result. Food is looking very good and sounds like you are enjoying being back on slimming world.

How have you got on with the garden so far? That was the big plan for the summer holidays wasn't it?

Thanks Atomic. The garden is happening slowly - until we get the van we are at a bit of a standstill, and at the moment it looks worse than ever, but these things always do, don't they?

It can only get better! And think of the losses the work will create :) Good luck hun :)

So, after months of discussion, planning and van research, the decision has finally been made and a deposit paid on a 2011 Renault Trafic short wheel base, to be converted by us into a day van, with seating, sleeping and cooking/washing up facilities, plus a loo in a cupboard! Honestly, you wouldn't believe the amount of time and drawn plans, lists on what we really need/want/is non negotiable! We have looked at everything, from a Landover with a demountable safari back, to a massive Mercedes Apache/Cherokee which appears to sleep about 50! We decided that we will definitely keep the caravan, get a tow bar fitted onto this new van, (not onto the Beetle, which was part of the 'original' plan), and then we have the best of all worlds - days/weeks out in the small van, on or off sites, or taking the caravan for a bit more 'luxury.' I do use the word luxury loosely, but we enjoy it! We should be able to collect the new addition on Friday afternoon, so Friday evening we will probably sling the camping stove and a futon in the back, and head off to the clifftops for a few hours of walking, lounging and drinking tea, or maybe a drop of elderflower liqueur for me. The proper full conversion won't start until we have finished using the van as a work horse for the garden, so probably not until after Christmas.

Food this week will be a bit erratic, as OH is also on holiday, which means days/meals out most days. I am aiming to select as much free food as I can for meals/snacks, but will allow myself a few goodies each day. Won't be counting syns religiously, but will try to keep them down to within limits over the week as a whole. We will probably be doing a fair amount of walking, so hopefully that will balance things out. A STS would be a good result.

Monday 18th August

Breakfast: GF Toast with a little butter and honey, yogurt with a few fresh chopped cherries

Lunch: A packet of Wotsits!

Dinner: Home made spicy beef burgers with onion, lettuce, toms, beetroot and BNS spicy wedges, followed by fresh pineapple and pear chunks, a mini meringue nest and a spoonful of vanilla ice cream

Drinks: Water, one milky coffee, one coffee and cream, earl grey teas

Syns for the day:15.5
HEB: Toast
HEA: Milk in coffee and teas

Tuesday 19th August

This was van viewing day, so we set off as soon as we were up, which left me needing to buy something to eat en-route. I was actually really pleased with my choices:

Breakfast/travelling: Peppered ham slices, cooked chicken pieces, a natural yogurt and a punnet of seedless grapes (not a crisp or a haribo sour in sight, which is our usual travel fare!)

Afternoon snack at the coast: Small latte and a slice of light fruit cake.

Evening at the pub: Sirloin steak, peas, tomatoes, mushrooms, jacket potato (ditched the butter) one of OH's onion rings, diet coke

Other drinks: Water, earl grey teas, mid afternoon G&T

Syns: don't really know - would have been the cake, the latte (minus allowance for the milk?), the onion ring and the gin, plus any fat used for cooking at the pub, but overall I'm pretty happy with my choices there.
HEA/HEB: Ditto!

Today, Wednesday 20th August

We were planning a cooked breakfast out somewhere this morning, but ran out of time after delivering daughter-in-law's birthday card and present, so instead we headed to a North Norfolk farm shop/deli/café for lunch:

Caesar salad, with no croutons. There was a little dressing, but they had kept that to a minimum by using hole real anchovies in the salad for flavour, so basically it was lettuce, mixed salad leaves and watercress, tomatoes, soft boiled egg, chicken breast, two slices well grilled bacon, a few parmesan shavings, anchovies, salad dressing, also had a pot of earl grey.

Later, after some shopping in the Farm Shop (smoked garlic, giant chilli sausages, two fresh figs, medjool dates for the OH and some luxury fruit nougat,) we headed to Holt for a walk round the town, bought some plums and some basil plants and had afternoon tea! Well actually it was one coffee and cream, one piece of GF chocolate and butterscotch cake. This is one of the few places where when you ask for the gluten free option, they reel off about six choices!

Next stop was the coast for a wander round the local carnival floats, the fair and the cliff tops. Managed to resist all the food stalls, which included doughnuts, candy floss, burgers, hot dogs, loaded jackets, thai curries and noodles, crepes, duck and hoisin wraps, pies etc., and instead had a fig, two plums and some of the fruit nougat, half of one of OH's dates, and a diet coke. Quietly impressed with myself!

Other snacks/drinks: At home, two prawn cocktail crisps, two earl grey teas and one GF chocolate ginger biscuit. I was planning to have a small bowl of beef stew, but too full!

Syns: again don't really know - will be salad dressing, bacon, as it was streaky, the nougat, the cake and cream in coffee, plus the ginger choc biscuit. and the two pinched crisps and half a date. Sounds quite a lot when I list it all!

HEB/HEA: could probably combine the milk in teas and the parmesan for a HEA. That's as close as I can get, but as I said I am happy to make generally good choices for meals and allow myself a bit of slack for this week.

Your coastal meanderings still make me green with envy. Especially as I spent the weekend in Suffolk but didn't get a chance to get to the coast at all :(

Exciting that the decision has been made on the van. Have you picked it up yet? I love the sound of the its first drive up the coast to have a clifftop evening picnic. You also seem to be adapting slimming world really quite well to eating out which is excellent. I think I always found slimming world the most difficult to adapt when eating away from home. Everything is sounding very very yummy as always :)

Have you got much planned for the rest of the holidays? I can't believe how quickly this summer has disappeared. It feels like Christmas is just round the corner at the moment!

Your days sound absolutely heavenly :) I hope you had a wonderful time - and an extra well done for avoiding the bad food stalls! x

Well, things did not work out quite as well as I had hoped on the food front! I continued basing meals out on Free food wherever possible, with one main 'synny' treat a day - usually a cake, no chips, no ice cream, no doughnuts etc, and last Friday was back to where I started -ie a gain of over 3 lbs. *Sighs* Even my OH, who has seen it all before and usually maintains a sympathetic, stoic silence at bad scale news, said 'You can't have, that is really not fair!' I kept a quick tally of calories consumed and there is no way they add up to an extra 10,500 plus calories over the week. I know it has been discussed before, but I am convinced not all calories are created equal! Anyway, this last week I relaxed a bit more as it was beginning to spoil our days out for me, so this week I have had some ice cream, two doughnuts, several picky pic nics and pie and chips, and only gained 0.6 of a pound! Go figure as they say. I can't be bothered to second guess why any more tbh. It just is! So today is a fresh start, back on SW until Christmas to give it a really good chance.

We have been out in the van every day since we picked it up last Friday. Have found some amazing picnic spots, and even though it has rained several days we just open the doors and picnic in the van! OH has set up a temporary bed/sofa/lounging area, and the loo and gas hob are in there too, so everything we need for the moment! We are planning a picnic tonight, not sure where yet, but later I will be packing up a salad, some corn on the cob, cooked potatoes and fruit for a SW legal picnic. We go for a walk, picnic and then lounge in the van watching the sunset! Very relaxing!
Right, the Hoover and carpet steamer await, so I will try and catch up with everyone later, or over the weekend.

It could be natural fluctuation or water retention... or if you've started new exercise it can occasionally be a gain.

Really hope it's only temporary lovely - you've done so well!! xxx

Back