Green Day My Year in Soups

I LOVE SOUP!!!!

Glad you are all enjoying the soups lol, its definitely the right weather for them :gen125:

WEEK 9

Butternut squash and carrot soup
Free on all plans

1 red onion, finely chopped
2 cloves garlic, finely chopped
4 large carrots, chopped
1 medium butternut squash, peeled, deseeded and chopped
black pepper
1 litre vegetable stock
plain fat free yoghurt to serve

1. Spray your pan with frylight or I prefer berio olive oil spray (0.5 syns for 7 squirts) and saute the onion and garlic over a medium heat until soft.
2. Add the chopped carrots and butternut squash to the pan. Season with black pepper and cook for another 10 minutes, or until the vegetables start to soften
3. Add the stock, bring to the boil then reduce the heat, cover and simmer for about 30 minutes
4. Blend until smooth, season and serve.

Or do as I did and throw it all in a soup maker, switch on and leave it to it ;)

I had half a large squash left over from a risotto earlier in the week so this was a perfect way to use it up. Its a lovely rich and smooth soup, very easy to make. You could add some chilli flakes at the start if you want a bit of a kick.

Adapted from the recipe on the UKTV website
Carrot and butternut squash soup recipe: Recipes: Good Food Channel

BONUS RECIPE

Creamy carrot and parsnip soup
4.5 syns for the pot

1 large onion, chopped
450g carrots, chopped
2 large parsnips, chopped
1 level tbsp freshly grated root ginger (I used dorot frozen ginger instead)
1 level tsp finely grated orange rind
600ml vegetable stock
120g WW creme fraiche
Salt and ground black pepper
Sprigs of fresh coriander, to garnish

Spray a large pan with frylight and saute the onion until slightly softened. Add the carrots and parsnips. Cover the pan until the vegetables have softened a little. Stir in the ginger, orange rind and stock. Bring to the boil, then reduce the heat, cover the pan and simmer for 30-35 mins, until the vegetables are tender. Remove from the heat and cool for 10 mins.

Transfer the soup to a blender or food processor and whizz until smooth. Return the soup to the rinsed-out saucepan, stir in the creme fraiche, and season well with salt and pepper. Warm through gently over a low heat. Season and serve.

The original recipe called for cream so I substituted creme fraiche instead. WW creme fraiche is only half a syn per tbsp so it worked out at 4.5 syns for the whole pot of soup or around 1 syn per serving based on four servings. I use WW creme fraiche in a lot of my meals as its a bit less likely to split If you prefer you could use fat free fromage frais or natural yoghurt instead and it would be syn free.

Adapted from the recipe on the Good to Know recipe website:
Creamy carrot and parsnip soup recipe - goodtoknow

Last edited:
WEEK 10

Spicy butternut squash and sweet potato soup
2.5 syns for the pot on green and EE

1 small butternut squash, diced
225g sweet potato, diced
1 clove garlic
Half a red chilli, finely diced
Half a tsp smoked paprika
750mls vegetable stock
2 tsp wholegrain mustard (1 syn)
1 tbsp grated parmesan (1.5 syns)
Natural yoghurt

Spray a large pan with butter frylight, add the squash, sweet potato and garlic
Cover and saute for around 10 mins
Add chilli and paprika and cook for a further minute
Add the stock, bring to the boil and simmer for 15-20 minutes
Stir in the mustard and parmesan cheese
Season and serve with natural yoghurt or frais

I'm really enjoying sweet potato instead of white potatoes at the moment, they taste great and are far better for you nutritionally. This is a lovely soup but if I was making it again I think I would add a whole chilli and a tsp of smoked paprika to give it a bit of a kick.

Adapted from this recipe
Butternut squash soup recipe: How to cook spicy butternut squash and sweet potato soup | Metro News

Last edited:
Oooo! I made your sweet potato and sweetcorn soup this week and it is delicious! Filling, spicy (I went for a madras paste - nearly blew my head off and I'm used to spicy food!!) and really tasty.

Thanks!

Oooo! I made your sweet potato and sweetcorn soup this week and it is delicious! Filling, spicy (I went for a madras paste - nearly blew my head off and I'm used to spicy food!!) and really tasty.

Thanks!

I've just made some of this for lunches.....seriously lovely!

Sent from my Nexus 7 using MiniMins.com mobile app

subscribing...our consultant has asked us all to replace one meal per day with soup this week so i'll def be trying some out :p

Thanks!

Glad you enjoyed it but i can't claim the credit for it. I found it on the Green Giant website - they have loads of other recipes (sweetcorn related obviously) that would work well on SW :)

WEEK 6

Sweet Potato and Creamed Corn Soup

1 syn for the whole pot on Green and EE

750g sweet potato, peeled and diced
1 small onion, chopped
1 can creamed sweetcorn
1 tbsp patak's tikka paste
750mls vegetable stock

Cook the onion gently in frylight until softened
Add the curry paste, garlic and sweet potato then cook for 5 mins
Add stock and creamed corn
Bring to boil, reduce heat and simmer for about 15 minutes until the potato is cooked
Blend until smooth, Season to taste and serve.

Yummy, yummy. A seriously good winter soup! I used tikka paste because its the lowest in syns but it would be lovely with a stronger curry paste, just adapt the syns to whichever one you use.

Got this cooking away at the moment and omg! The smells in my kitchen are amazing can't wait to taste it

WEEK 11

Spinach and potato soup (aka Shrek's swamp soup)
Free on green and EE

1 onion, diced
2 crushed garlic cloves
900g potatoes, diced
2 celery sticks, diced
2 pints vegetable stock
250g fresh spinach leaves
Salt and black pepper

Add the potatoes, onion, garlic and celery to a large saucepan. Add the stock and simmer for 20 minutes until potatoes are soft and cooked.
Season with ground black pepper and add the spinach. Cook for a further 10 minutes.
Remove from the heat and allow to cool slightly
Decant some of the soup into a blender, or use a hand held blender, to smooth the soup.
Serve with a swirl of fat free greek yoghurt or fromage frais

A really easy to make soup, chuck it all in a pot and you're good to go. I've never had spinach soup before but this seemed a good way of using up a bag that was getting a bit past its best. Tastes lovely and even my nephew enjoyed it after a little bit of creative marketing lol ;)

Last edited:
WEEK 12

Moroccan spiced pumpkin and butterbean soup
Free on Green and Extra Easy

1kg wedge of cooking pumpkin (about 750g peeled weight), peeled and diced
1 banana shallot (or 3 regular ones), peeled and chopped
2 garlic cloves, peeled and finely chopped
sea salt and black pepper
1 tsp paprika
1 tsp ground ginger
1 tsp ground cumin
1 tsp ground turmeric
500–600ml hot stock
2 x 400g tins butter beans, rinsed and drained
bunch of flat leaf parsley, chopped
bunch of coriander, chopped
4 tbsp natural or Greek yoghurt, to serve

Saute the pumpkin, shallot, garlic and some seasoning in frylight for around 10 minutes.
Add the spices and stir over the heat for another couple of minutes.
Pour in the stock to cover the pumpkin and bring to a simmer.
Cook for 10 minutes, then remove from the heat and leave to cool slightly. While still hot, purée the mixture in a blender until smooth and creamy.
Return the purée to the pan and bring to a simmer. Tip in the butter beans and chopped herbs. Place over a medium heat for 2–3 minutes until the beans are hot. Taste and adjust the seasoning.
Ladle the soup into warm bowls and add a spoonful of yoghurt.

Been feeling rather guilty about the tins of butterbeans sitting in my cupboard and found the perfect use for them :)

Courtesy of Gordon Ramsay
Gordon Ramsay's moroccan spiced pumpkin and butter bean soup recipe - goodtoknow

I like soup. Love butternut squash & carrot soup. I don`t peel the squash or the carrots. I just top and tail & deseed.
When I reheat a portion I put some curry powder or chilli in it then.

I was wondering if I could just cut up apple and simmer it with the above for a different flavour or should I roast it all first?
What do you think Patchwork Puss, do you reckon it would work.?

Looking forward to trying some of your soups. Great thread.:)

Back