New Starter!

Hi BL

I did think it could be the hot water in an airtight space (blender has one of those little air holes but not a significant hole), so I have tried holding tight to the lid with a tea towel.

Think what happens is the blender fires up and the (loud) noise scares me and I lose my grip on its lid! My LLC locum who handed out the shake things told me not to use that with hot water or it would explode - do you use hot in yours?

Hope you are having a nice Satuday am?

S:kitty:

I do, but with my blender, not with a lid. She is right - if you put boiling water in and shake it, the same as your blender will happen.

Stick blender! its the way forward!!! :)

I am having a nice morning. Just made some jam to put away from springtime. :)

Enjoy your day as you get slimmer and slimmer! Yes, already! :D

x

Vegetable Soup (given some stick)

Peony - thanks for the links I will investigate that. Like the look of the blender balls too so they could be a definate go for me.

Hope you are feeling better after having a bit of 'me' time. Mr Peony sounds like a rock and I bet the little Peony seedling is lovely too. I feel lucky that I am getting good support at home from my OH as well as good advice from you guys!

I am wondering if my disjointed and fuzzy headed feeling is partially to do with oncoming TOTM too. I tend to be one of those people who gets a bit clumsy too so that could explain some of the blending exploits. OH is amused at my propensity for exploding things and can't wait to see me in action! Thus far he has only been around for non-explosive items.

Oh and I am going to try hot water and then blending on the porridge as I was a bit disappointed with the lumpiness of the 'hob' version I made yesterday (yesterday now feels like weeks ago).

BL - just tried out my stick blender on the soup and the verdict follows, might have to get a bigger jug I think as I am a bit insane with my 'pulsing' speed but the result was much less dangerous than with the actual blending jug.

Ooo! Jam. What kind was it? I love all that kind of 'home-makery' stuff with the baking and bottling up (partially how I ended up needing LL!) - do you do alot of preserving?

Vegetable Soup - not too bad as far as my tastebuds were concerned. I blended him up with the stick blender in a jug with about 500ml water (I tend to do everything quite diluted) and he turned out quite thin (but that is how I like it). Sprinkled in a tiny pinch of salt and a big grind of black pepper - served and enjoyed.

It was very nice I thought. Liked that the pepper gave it a kick and the little bit of salt seemed to bring out the flavour a bit more (I didn't like my initial taste as it seemed a bit weak).

I'm worried that this might be the one thing that causes some kind of reflux/heartburn as I normally avoid cup-a-soup cause that gives me it something shocking. But I have some Gavisgon on hand just in case.

Just as an aside here I have read on threads that it is ok to have Gavisgon Liquid, Immodium and (various) constipation relief treatments - if this true? I know that some of the relief things were listed in the LL literature I received but there was no mention I found of what to do in case of heartburn/exploding bum disorder.

I am full of 'probing' questions about all of the fun stuff today. I will be giving myself something psychosomatic next!

Glorious Saturday afternoon thinking!

I made a Strawberry RHubarb jam.

I only learned to preserve last year, but quickly became an addict. I have always loved cooking but now been learning about preserving and baking. One day when we move back to the states, we will be living quite far from town, so with my own veggie garden and fruit orchard, I intend to preserve so we will be sufficient year round.

Cant wait - I love it! :)

Shelley your posts do make me chuckle - you have a wonderful turn of phrase. You have struck a chord in me as I also like to ponder and know the answers to everything - it drives Mr Peony to distraction especially as for some reason I tend to assume he is the all knowing fountain of knowledge on everything I myself don't know hee hee. I get so frustrated when I can't find an answer to a question. Today my quest is to investigate post menstrual syndrome as I have the acne of a teenager today and am extremely hormonal - not much out there though, just confirmation that I am not going mad and it does exist. Plus my sister just rang and when I quizzed her it turns out she too is on day 8 of her cycle, burst into tears because she couldn't get the washing machine working and is a spotty wotsit. I shall conclude that piece of research for now!

I was fine taking ranitidine for indigestion although I must say since a stone or so down I haven't had a single problem with indigestion. I also used to have to take loperimide (immodium) for severe IBS 'apple splatters' (as my lovely husband once coined them.) For 3 years I had to take up to 4 a day on prescription as it had got so bad. Again, taking these did not affect my weightloss or ketosis, and I stopped needing them a month or so in. - Long may that continue when I am back in the world of the eating!

As far as the other way goes, my LLC used to recommend Dulcolax Perles - I have not been able to get hold of them easily - they are supposed to be quite gentle. I have resorted to normal dulcolax which I take once a week now - I have to make sure I am not going anywhere the next morning though!

BL thanks for your words - you are great. If you get chance at some point could you post or message me your weekly losses (if you don't mind of course) as you are an example to me of someone who has suceeded in what I am trying to achieve and if I can see your journey it might help me accept the ups and downs of the losses a little. Thanks hunny.

xxxx

In a jam...

Ooo! Rhubarb and Strawberry you big temptress!

I do like a bit of jam and toast when the occassion arises for it.

It's a funny thing but apart from last night (about half 11) I haven't been too hungry hungry 'today'.

I am finding that I can imagine vividly what things taste like though!!! Right now it is your jam - imaginary jam = 0 calories!

Yum!

Hi Shelleycat,

Looking forward to hearing how you got on at your first weigh in. I can only echo what the other ladies have been saying, I lost 4 stone on LL in 2007 and completed RTM as well. It is the easiest diet I have ever done and I would recommend it to anyone.

I am about to go to a refreshers meeting on Monday, because unfortunately I had a family bereavement and over the last 18 months I have put 2 stone back on.

I actually can't wait to get back to abstinence and am looking forward to not having to eat! I used to love the shakes and also mixed the vanilla and chocolate ones with coffee. I have been out today and bought a 2nd stick blender (which was less than a fiver from Argos) and I will leave one at work so I don't need to lug it around.

Best of luck on your LL journey x

It's raining mint - halelujah!

Hi Peony

I like that 'wonderful turn of phrase' it is probably a fair summary of the way my strange brain works - thank you for that.

Funnily enought my OH refers to me as 'a question machine' (reference came from Fringe the sci/fi show) so I think you are correct that we may be kindred spirits in curiousity. I also tend to drive the future Mr Shelleycat mad with questions on everything from film plots to the laws of physics.

Personally I feel that they should be flattered as it means that we assume that they are these fonts of wisdom and great learning - and you can tell Mr Peony that for me! (Not that the future Mr Shelleycat takes any solace there).

I do so hate that TOTM and have always found it a real trial. I am hoping to get through it when it appears without needing to take comfort in the 'arms' of a bacon sandwich!

First there are the 'mental' symptoms (low mood, sensitivity, tendancy towards mad episodes of emotion such as crying at something which happened on TV, need I go on), then the 'physical' pains, clumsiness and general feeling of grump. I usually take refuge in some Solpadeine for the pains (forget about paracetamol - not even close) and am wondering if that will knock me flat on the low intake of calories.

I suppose I shall find out soon enough.

Thanks for the other info about the armoury of remedies that have worked ok for you. I expect I will have built up a stockpile of stuff I don't use soon as I am prepared for most 'events'!

Think I am so scared of having some kind of explosive bum disorder that until now I hadn't given any thought to there being a problem not going. I wondered if the sudden intake of sweetner from the packs would have a laxative effect for me but (clench bum cheeks) not so far!

Glad not to have needed anything for heartburn yet either - I had it badly for several days before starting yesterday and so have avoided the water flavouring yet in case that starts it immediately so I will know later if it does.

Yes it feels like you are an old friend now (and you too BL) as you know as much as my nearest and dearest about the exciting events overtaking my digestive and mental processes.

Mint Shake

Now to the ongoing saga of the exploding blender.....a final cautionary tale is that the OH who hadn't been in the epicentre of 'shakesplosion' and wanted to check that it wasn't me (gasp) just failing to blend accurately just got covered in chocolate mint shake for his troubles.

The shake was very nice - big mug of very strong 2 teabag mint tea with the chocolate shake pack heaved in on top of it and blended, and it was the funniest thing I have seen all day...

Oh how we laughed (well I did)...

Only downside is there seems to be a rumbly in the tumbly now. Could be the mint I suppose as it is supposed to be a 'digestive' isn't it - I choose to think that this is a good thing.

(Until proved otherwise)

Good luck Stellios

Thank you for your kind words.

It's lovely to hear from you and I hope that you are going to do very well once you get back on the 'blend and shake'!

You did very well to maintain for a good while so I am sure that you will have the power and will to go on and do it all over again (you know you can cause you already did).

Hope that things are looking a bit sunnier for you now.

All the very best to you.

Shelley:kitty:

Hello Shelley my love
Thought about how you were getting on yesterday but was a mental day kid's parties wise so didn't get chance to come on here.

How is it going? what day are you on? Hope you haven't a headache - Because I was so busy yesterday I didn't take enough fluid on board so woke up with a stonker today - a couple of nurofen on top of a couple of paracetamol seem to be nipping at its heels though now.

If you aren't yet in ketosis you may be coming to the pinnacle of feeling cra*ness today - I remember it was about 100 degrees last July my first few days and day 3 or 4 I had my daughter off with me and was trying to cope with looking after her in her paddling pool while feeling like death warmed up. In the end I gave in, switched on cbeebies for her and collapsed on the sofa the rest of the day lol!

Keep up the good work doll.

(PS Mr Peony laughed when I told him what you said - you made me laugh so much. )

xxx

Disaster

Hi Peony,

Excuse the brevity of this but I am snuffling and coughing all the while and my head is trying to explode. I wanted to let you know what was going on though and not just disappear.

I feel terribly disappointed with myself but I have had to stop LL for now (yesterday) as I seem to have the mother of all colds (although the irony is that now I'm not hungry at all). I haven't decided yet whether I will try and resume or not - can't really think right now as I am feeling too sorry for myself.

Basically I had to go 'up North' on Sunday evening (we live in the South East) so we had a mammoth drive up there all the while feeling pretty rubbish. I thought it was just me going into ketosis so was perservering with water and trying to keep going along, by yesterday morning my throat was killing me and I was boiling hot (which was really weird cause I have been freezing since starting LL). Ended up going to one of those NHS walk in places just to get checked over as I felt that awful and couldn't think what it was.

Long story short they advised stopping as it was obvious I was coming down with something (looked like tonsilitis at that point), not caused by LL clearly but perhaps moved along sooner by me starting when 'brewing' something. Now I have got a full blown cold and am feeling hellish so its back to the drawing board.

Back off to bed now but didn't want you worrying about me, hope that I haven't disappointed you too much.

Honey of course not, heavens you can't help being poorly - you just get better and re-evaluate how you feel about whether to do LL again after you have got better.

Thanks for letting us know- it's funny it a very anonymous place a message board but on here you do genuinely care how people are doing. You take care gorgeous, and perhaps you'll return at some point in the future- whatever you decide I wish you all the very best and hoe you have a wonderful wedding. And give me a shout if you need any wedding stationery as that is my business lol! Google apple of my eye design and you should find me. Will probably get in to trouble for that he he.

Lots of love
Peony (actually another Shelley funnily enough!!!)
xxx

heheh Peony, gotta get yer plugs in when ya can! No harm in that!! :)

SHelley - what a dissappointing turn of events for you. Sorry you are so poorly. I agree with everything Peony said - get better and then reevaluate. Just because you got ill, does not mean you cannot restart. ;)

ANd it also does not mean you have to leave the site. As Peony said - we all really fo care about each other. And there is always strength in numbers - whatever the need.

You look after yourself, and you know where to find us if you want too!!

xx

Back