newbie facing many challenges

I definitely don't think your calories are too high, I wouldn't go any lower than that yet. :)

I know what you mean about the effectiveness of Orlistat for keeping your eating controlled - it's what it's most useful for! If you're not eating very much fat, there may not be much point in taking it from a dietary point of view, but if you find it's boosting your willpower that's great! :) xx

Brilliant! Thanks for that, you've been such a help.

I know I'm doing ok cos it's not my first week's weigh in until tomorrow and I have lost 4.5lbs already. I'm really pleased with that:)

I'll keep taking them for the month and then have a chat when I have my weigh in early November. If it turns out I don't need them then at least I will have broken the habit of bingeing in the evening.

I'd rather not take them if I don't need them cos I take so many meds but if they will help, even on low fat, that I'm sticking with them! I've never lost as much without starving myself so something's working, either the increased calories or the orlistat lol.

caz x

Argh, my first disappointment. That'll teach me to weigh myself so much....Half a lb went back on. Not cheated so it must just be a fluctuation but I am a bit cheesed off. Doesn't seem much for a first week at my size.

Wk1 - 4lbs lost

Caz x

Argh, my first disappointment. That'll teach me to weigh myself so much....Half a lb went back on. Not cheated so it must just be a fluctuation but I am a bit cheesed off. Doesn't seem much for a first week at my size. Wk1 - 4lbs lost Caz x

4lbs is a good amount hun, you don't want to go to wild or you will end up with baggy skin, I usually only lose 1-2lb a week, slow & steady wins the race!
Try not to feel negative or you will lose your determination, at least you are not staying the same or anything well done!!!!!
Have you seen the pic of how much 1lb of fat is?
I'll see if I can find it, it's loads so 4lbs must be a big! Some babies weigh 4lb when they are born lol xx

image-28548331.jpg

And you lost 4 of these!! X

Thanks waffle, I'm just greedy I guess. You read of massive losses in the first few weeks but it hasn't worked that way for me. If I've only lost 4 this week then it's gonna slow down a lot faster I would guess.

The worst thing I did was to start this with my sister. It's making me feel pathetic next to her loss. If I wasn't comparing then I prob would have been happy with 4lb.

You're right though, 4 lb off isn't bad. Must get my pma back!

Thanks for the support.

Caz x

Thanks waffle, I'm just greedy I guess. You read of massive losses in the first few weeks but it hasn't worked that way for me. If I've only lost 4 this week then it's gonna slow down a lot faster I would guess. The worst thing I did was to start this with my sister. It's making me feel pathetic next to her loss. If I wasn't comparing then I prob would have been happy with 4lb. You're right though, 4 lb off isn't bad. Must get my pma back! Thanks for the support. Caz x

I felt exactly the same my first week I only lost 1lb! Then 2lb then a sts then 3lb!
Every weeks different maybe you will lost more next week or maybe less but as long as your losing then it's good!
Try not to compare to other people especially not your sister, you need to see her as a completely different person, different things work for diff people, horses for courses and all that, maybe next week she will lose 1lb and you will lose 6lb you just don't know!
Dieting is more about changing how you eat for the future so you don't get big again and it sounds like your on the right track for that and she isn't by the sounds of it.... Would you rather
A.lose 6 stone in 4 months and put it back on in 2 months after
OR
B. Lose 6 stone over a year and never put it back on coz you have changed your eating habits.

Try and look more long term than what's happening with your sis and focus on you :) xx

Thanks Waffle,

You're totally right. Thanks so much for letting me know how you lost in the start. That really helps.

Tbf if anything she is misusing orlistat I would say. She's really using it to do all the work so I guess she is using it as a laxative, so of course she will lose weight, she's binging and purging. Not a road I want to go down.

I want to beat the binging and I'm doing really well with that. I don't even want junk cos I am not letting myself get so hungry I set myself down that road again.

I need to be proud of my achievements and take my focus off her and onto the healthy journey.

Going to try and not mention her again, it doesn't help me.

My focus needs to be on me through this.

Thank hun

Caz x

Thanks Waffle, You're totally right. Thanks so much for letting me know how you lost in the start. That really helps. Tbf if anything she is misusing orlistat I would say. She's really using it to do all the work so I guess she is using it as a laxative, so of course she will lose weight, she's binging and purging. Not a road I want to go down. I want to beat the binging and I'm doing really well with that. I don't even want junk cos I am not letting myself get so hungry I set myself down that road again. I need to be proud of my achievements and take my focus off her and onto the healthy journey. Going to try and not mention her again, it doesn't help me. My focus needs to be on me through this. Thank hun Caz x

Good for you!!
And well done again on your loss this week! Onwards and downwards :) xx

Thank you! x

Hmmmm been having a think - always dangerous lol.

Right, so my diet now I very low fat, possibly too low. So, why I am I talking Orlistat???? I don't want to increase my fat too much as I'm comfy on what I'm eating. I have read I'm still a bit low even without adding orlistat so I might change back to semi skimmed milk and slightly increase fat elsewhere too. Only a bit or it will impact too much on my cals.

It seems counter productive to me to make myself eat more fat just so orlistat can take it off. Surely it makes more sense just to eat what I am eating and drop the orlistat?

I can't get in to see the nurse for weeks so I think I will try a week without it and see what I lose.

The 4lb I lost this week is about what I would have lost without the orlistat so not sure it's doing much for me.

If the weight doesn't come off I will go back on it, if it does i'll stay off it.

caz x

......or maybe not:rolleyes:...

Sorry, I'm doing my own head in here so I apologize.

I was all set to just continue eating what I have been eating but minus the orlistat but then something weird happened. I haven't been hungry all week, not once, but after missing my lunchtime pill, within a couple of hours I was ravenous! I know it's not meant to be an appetite suppressant and maybe it's psychological but I was starving! I'm guessing maybe it bloats me just a bit and that makes me feel full. I don't have a clue!

This stuff is obviously beyond me so hubby is going to go in to the gp's tomorrow and try and get some advice.

I'm trying to learn it all off the internet and the info leaflet is worse than useless. So I'm coming across a lot of conflicting info and stressing myself out.

Thanks for being so patient with me - jeez I need to stop posting my every thought :rolleyes:

Caz x

Don't worry have you read my diary lol? I'm doing calorie counting and I'm constantly questioning how many calories to set myself, guess just takes a while to get into the right flow for yourself xx

lol, thanks :)

Your little girl is adorable! I don't know how to do a diary, I'm guessing it's different to posting on a thread? Still trying to work this site out lol

Caz x

Not at all, this can be your diary :) and thank you xx

That's great thanks x

Firstly, 4lbs is blinking great - I never lost that much in a week! But definitely don't weigh too often - I only got weighed every two months by my GP at first, and that worked well. If you don't need the Orlistat I'd say stop taking it - as you say, it doesn't really make you lose much more weight than you could do just by calorie counting. I kept taking them out of habit, thinking it couldn't do any harm and might do a little bit of good. I did develop gallstones, which I subsequently read was a recognised side effect, but I can't be sure it was down to the tablets. Do whatever you feel is best for you - if you're not eating much fat, the tablets won't do much, as you say. :) xx

Aw thanks:D

I am going round in circles with the pros and cons lol. I know they aren't appetite suppressants but for some reason they seem to make me feel fuller.

I'll wait and see what info I can get tomorrow and take it from there I think.

Thanks for you help and patience

Caz x

Decision made!

The advice was, If I am finding my diet is naturally low fat anyway, to give it a good try without the pills.

Before, I was eating a load of junk at night but my favourite foods are pretty much all low fat, so by stopping the binges low fat's just happened naturally.

I love cottage cheese, tuna, plain chicken, ryvita's, Weetabix, smoothies, soup, poached eggs, pasta etc. Don't like anything cooked in fat.

Soooo, if I can stay off crisps, chocolate, biscuits and cheese sandwiches at night I should be on the right track.

I kind of separate my diet into two parts (Jekyll and hyde) 'real' food, which is all healthy, and 'binge' food at night, which is the rubbish. I'm horrified when I think of the sheer amount of junk I ate at night - easily 1500 cals extra every single night! I also ate a lot of cheese. I'm sure my last stone went on when I discovered clotted cream scones, not greasy but FULL of fat and cals.

It's odd, I would very rarely sit down to a fatty meal in the day. The worst I got was egg and oven chips! The damage was all done at night.

So let's see how I do this week on my own - scary! I'll keep you updated, fingers crossed!

Caz x

Last edited:
Back