Newbie here

nicki210179

Hi all, I've heard wonderful things about this site from various sources so I thought it was about time I joined :D

My name is Nicki, 33, and I'm a single mum to a hormonal tween daughter who is 11 next month, from now on referred to as L. I've re-prioritised my life over the past few months and decided that I was juggling too many things so I've given up half my commitments (all self imposed!) and I'm now concentrating on my health to ensure that I get to see my daughter turn 18 because the way my health is I won't see it :eek:

I've been overweight as long as I can remember and have tried various "diets" or healthy eating regimes too many times to count since I was about 11! I have scoliosis and although it doesn't really effect my everyday life (except standing for long periods gives me terrible back ache), when I was a teenager I had to wear a back-brace for 3 years and was told I wasn't to do ANY sport at all, and shouldn't even walk long distances. I was told I needed to loose weight though, but try telling that to any teenager and get them to listen :8855: I didn't change my eating habits, I stopped doing PE in school and although I walked to and from school every day I gained a lot of weight. Most annoying though was the week before I broke up for study leave for my GCSEs at 16, I was told by another doctor that I should never have been given that advice and I should have been doing PE all along as the treatment I'd been receiving had made no difference at all :mad: I've been battling to loose the weight ever since :eek:

When I first left home and was pregnant with my daughter I actually failed to gain weight throughout the pregnancy due to my change in lifestyle (enforced smaller portions, walking EVERYWHERE), afterwards I kept it up and managed to get down to my lowest weight in years. But then life happened and I had a lousy few years after that where I piled the weight back on and them some! Then I went through a relationship break up 4 years ago and lost a load of weight again, but to get through it I started keeping myself busy by doing a college course, open university course and volunteering at my daughters school (which I needed to do for my college course anyway) and I started getting lazy with my meals. Then the amount of exercise I was doing dropped dramatically as I didn't have the time anymore and now here I am just short of 18stone and miserable :(

In October I joined Slimming World for the first time and I loved the extra easy option, its great for me as it means I can cook things that L likes while still staying healthy. Unfortunately I've had a few, how shall I put this, a few turbulent months and due to a drop in income I can't afford to attend the classes any more so I'm having to go it "alone" at home using the books I managed to buy before having to quit the classes and the various resources on the 'net that I can access. That's why I'm here, I wanted a place where I can get the support from like minded people.

So what's my plan? ATM I'm muddling through the best I can after falling off the plan big style the past 2 months and because money is very tight so even buying muller yoghurts etc are out of the question :(

Current stats: 17st 8lbs
Target weight: 12st (doctors estimate as to what I should be)
Dress size: 20-24 depending
Smallest dress size I can remember ever being: 16 (4 years ago)

Enough rambling, I have chicken to cook :D

Good luck with your weight loss journey Nicki :) I have only been here a few days but have found these forums to be fantastic really supportive and helpful :)

Back