Partner objecting?

Hi all, just wanted to get some opinions and feedback really!

I want to go on a VLCD and kickstart the weight I've carried around for ages, combined with the additional weight I've put on over the past couple of years. Long story short, but I had cancer, and the treatment made me quite depressed, so I basically sat around and ate for a couple of years and denied the fact that I was depressed. Lets be honest though, I was fat before cancer, which makes it worse. I've been clear of cancer for 3 years now, and realised that all I'm doing is working and eating and not doing much else and I need to kick start my butt into doing something about it.

Bearing in mind that I am an all or nothing eating-type person (as in, being able to have a little bit of something does not work for me, I need to eliminate it completely) I want to start a VLCD through Slim n Save or the equivalent (again... I did SnS for a bit last year, then I gave up) :-( But I am really tired of being fat and unhealthy and I am so ready to do something about it.

Problem is, my partner is against it. He doesn't think its healthy to eliminate actual food. My argument is that its a) not healthy to carry around all this extra weight and b) considering the cr*p I eat now, a VLCD will be more nutritious. Which is ironic, seeing as he is 6'3", about 12 stone socking wet and can eat whatever he likes, which is mostly cr*p as well!

Just wondering if anyone else had/has an objecting partner and what you did about it?

Hi all, just wanted to get some opinions and feedback really! I want to go on a VLCD and kickstart the weight I've carried around for ages, combined with the additional weight I've put on over the past couple of years. Long story short, but I had cancer, and the treatment made me quite depressed, so I basically sat around and ate for a couple of years and denied the fact that I was depressed. Lets be honest though, I was fat before cancer, which makes it worse. I've been clear of cancer for 3 years now, and realised that all I'm doing is working and eating and not doing much else and I need to kick start my butt into doing something about it. Bearing in mind that I am an all or nothing eating-type person (as in, being able to have a little bit of something does not work for me, I need to eliminate it completely) I want to start a VLCD through Slim n Save or the equivalent (again... I did SnS for a bit last year, then I gave up) :-( But I am really tired of being fat and unhealthy and I am so ready to do something about it. Problem is, my partner is against it. He doesn't think its healthy to eliminate actual food. My argument is that its a) not healthy to carry around all this extra weight and b) considering the cr*p I eat now, a VLCD will be more nutritious. Which is ironic, seeing as he is 6'3", about 12 stone socking wet and can eat whatever he likes, which is mostly cr*p as well! Just wondering if anyone else had/has an objecting partner and what you did about it?

Hi.

Firstly my mum really objected to it. I was living with her when I started and 20. I told her all the reasons I wanted to do it and she researched it etc etc. If you start a VLCD like Cambridge your consultant will write to your doctor. After starting the diet and feeling amazing (and sooooo well!) she came round. She even tried some products.

I had a partner who also could eat everything an not put on a pound. On my second day of VLCD he sat and ate my favourite Chinese takeaway in front if me (like a loser I cried)

It's difficult not having people on board. It takes an awful lot of hard work to even start one let alone stick to it. Maybe try and compromise.

Try it, see how YOU get on. If it works for you I'm sure your partner will come around. Research it together- maybe he could even come to a consultation with you?

Whatever you decide together I hope you are successful.

All the best,
B x

If you do Slim & Save you can still eat. Besides these diets aren't actually based on not eating, they just give you what you need daily in a slightly different format to what we are used to. It's not like you are starving yourself, you are just reducing your calories to an amount that your body needs and nothing extra.

My OH didn't exactly offer much support when I started and for 9 days he sat eating everything next to me and I was sitting with a shake, then all of a sudden when I started loosing weight he showed interest and then signed up himself. He's now lost more than me in less time and is doing well, despite the whining for the first few weeks.

I would deffo reccommend slim and save. This week i have lost 3lb resulting in a total of 2 stone altogether. I can change plans daily to whatever im feeling. So some days i have just purely 4 meal packs then on others i have 3 and a low carb meal. Apparently this is a much cheaper option and you have more of a variety of meal packsd as you would do with LighterLife or Cambridge. xoxo

My hubby has been really supportive so far, he does my shakes for me and offers encouragement when I am struggling x

Heya,

Understand your partner's objections, it doesn't sound 'right' really does it, and he might well be a bit scared something's going to go wrong for you again.

However he only really needs to do the most basic of research to understand that there are a number of advantages to the VLCD at least in the short term, and may well be more of a guarantee that you get the full list of nutrients than the modern diet on modern food from Tescos.

over 10 years ago now the advice and minimum requirements for a VLCD was consolidated into one regulatory framework, the report of which can be found here:-

http://www.foodedsoc.org/scoop.pdf

It also consolidates much of the research at the time. Since then there has been much more fascinating research about the efficacy of VLCDs, much of which smashes the prevalent urban myths. Some of it is here, http://www.minimins.com/very-low-calorie-diets/8985-some-fascinating-research-about-vlcd.html, and the news about VLCDs reversing Type II diabetes is all over the net.

An interesting round-up of the composition of a VLCD can also be found here:- http://www.ysonut.fr/pdf/Ysodoc/C0401.pdf

But all in all, come to a deal with him. Suggest he humours you for 4 weeks. If anything goes strange in that time, you'll stop. If at the 4 week point you are happy and healthy, and he will be able to tangibly see your progress, then it's up to you to decide what to do next. After all, 'nothing can go properly wrong in just four weeks, right?'

Good luck :)

My hubby has been really supportive so far, he does my shakes for me and offers encouragement when I am struggling x

THis is lovely of him! Great support, especially when you feel a bit cranky and moody.

My boyfriend hates that I'm doing this. Friday night is pizza night. He asked me what topping I wanted and I said I wasn't eating. He got so mad with me and ordered me a pizza anyways. I didn't eat it and he was so mad he didnt finish his food and went to bed in the spare room to calm down. He can't understand why I'm doing this.

My partner doesn't like it from the point of view that we love to cook and experiment with food which we could do while I was on slimming world. Now we have to be more organised with shopping so theres things in for him that he likes and can make himself / I can make quickly.
That bwing said we have meals together some days I just leave out the carbs from my plate which is great so we still have a 'normal' life.
Also he is sweet about making my shakes if he's picking me up from work to go straight out.

I think the thing keeping us both going is that I'm doing this for 8weeks, 7now until we go on holiday. Afterwards I will do it again for 8-12 weeks before returning to slimmingworld or weight watchers to loose my last stone or so and develop a good relationship with healthy food.

Back