primal plum

Really tired and fed up today, and totm is on her way... A piece of dark chocolate and slightly bigger carb portions in the week before do seem to help but I still get kind of stressed about stuff.

Hope you're resting up :)
Did the chocolate ice cream turn out yummy?!

Hope you're resting up :)
Did the chocolate ice cream turn out yummy?!

Wednesday is my day off work and I had a proper lie in :D and total duvet day planned with some DVDs. :D

Chocolate ice cream was quite yummy actually! A little bit of a cashew flavour to it but still quite good. :)

Hmm loving the sound of the ice creams :D Might have to give it a go as have seen some great looking recipes around.

Hope TOTM doesnt throw you too much. Im the same as you and find myself naturally upping my (albeit good) carbs just before! I tried having chocolate but I dont like the dark stuff and no longer crave the milk choc so just prefer to have something like strawberries and cream lol.

Might have to look into some of the cookbooks you are using as we are stuck in a bit of a food rut and although we enjoy the meals it would be nice to throw some new ones into the mix :D Which would you most recommend as cant really afford to spend too much at the moment x

Hmm loving the sound of the ice creams :D Might have to give it a go as have seen some great looking recipes around.

Hope TOTM doesnt throw you too much. Im the same as you and find myself naturally upping my (albeit good) carbs just before! I tried having chocolate but I dont like the dark stuff and no longer crave the milk choc so just prefer to have something like strawberries and cream lol.

Might have to look into some of the cookbooks you are using as we are stuck in a bit of a food rut and although we enjoy the meals it would be nice to throw some new ones into the mix :D Which would you most recommend as cant really afford to spend too much at the moment x

Thank you! This month it mostly seems to be making me tired and a bit stressed, which is better than full-on raging of course. :D

All of the book authors have websites as well which don't necessarily have the same recipes but should be good too:

If I had to pick only one paleo book to own this would be very difficult but I probably find Practical Paleo the most useful (but maybe not the most exciting) overall. Primal Cravings is nice as they don't use almond or other nut flours in their baked goods but as they're trying to satisfy cravings some of the recipes may be a bit too American-oriented for some people, Against All Grain is nice because they just have some 'different' ideas, Well Fed just has darned tasty food, and the Everyday Paleo Italian book has some new recipes for things that I wouldn't have thought to try to make paleo. So I guess it kind of depends what you are after, but there are a whole lot of things available online too - I just like the books as I enjoy leafing through them. For any book I would check on Amazon to see if they have 'look inside' available and check out the index to see what appeals.

(sometimes the Kindle version of cookbooks is a lot cheaper, as the paleo cookbooks can be quite pricey - maybe 17-20 quid for a paper copy and only 6-7 quid for a Kindle version - which you can read on your computer or tablet/smart phone with the Kindle app)

Other sites I really like are Nom Nom Paleo, PaleOMG and Civilized Caveman Creations. I could go on so I'll stop waffling, haha. :D

I also find the pinning site which we apparently can't name to be a great source of inspiration, there are a lot of good paleo/primal boards to follow and get ideas from. (note I am NOT in any way trying to solicit users away from this site by mentioning this, just providing another source of helpful information)

Last edited by a moderator:
OOh thank you lots of research to do tonight :D

I dont get the pinning site being banned to type on here either and agree its great for ideas.

My DH would love it if I just got tired instead of ragey lol

Thank you for the links :). I like the primal cravings links .. I can see the cheeky monkey muffins being a hit with my boys :)

Made this and ate a bit more than I intended... doesn't happen very often any more! At least there's nothing bad in it... Definitely the best paleo flatbread I have had.

Ate at Pizza Express on Thursday and had their gluten-free pizza. Must say I am impressed with their GF offerings although the crust got a bit cardboardy as it cooled. Unfortunately I also had a half pint of cider that really disagreed with me and spent Friday feeling like I was coming down with flu and exhausted.

Bit better today which is a good thing as we are driving to my in-laws later (4 hour drive, joy) to spend two nights. I am not sure what I'll get to eat there (my mum-in-law once presented me with a piece of cheesecake with *most* of the base scraped off as a gluten-free pudding and relies heavily on pate which, astonishingly, most supermarket varieties of contain wheat) so am definitely taking backup supplies of some things! Then we come back on Monday bringing with us my brother- and sister-in-law and their 1 year old from New Zealand for a short visit. So not only are we trying to get the house shipshape for our catsitter but also baby proof it and pack! We'll get there in the end...

Hope everyone has a nice long weekend. :) x

Hi

Hope you feel bit better soon :) thought this was interesting

Hope you're resting up! Sucks when you have to rest up for work and not fun things though! I'm having a few compulsory duvet days too :) xx

Last edited:
Really nice dinner last night, citrus/mint-glazed salmon with mashed roasted sweet potato, garlicky grilled courgette (sooo much courgette in the garden now) and garlicky sauteed spinach. Plus some baked plums with blackberries - so many blackberries in the garden at the moment that it would have been rude not to!! Also had a bit of a Blackpool marathon; David Tennant singing into a 99 Flake ice cream was priceless!

I would never have thought to make mashed sweet potato this way until I saw it in the Autoimmune Paleo Cookbook - you peel and cube the sweet potato, toss it in some fat of choice (ghee in this case) with a little sea salt, roast it until it's cooked and a bit browned (I used the Actifry as my small oven was full of salmon), and then mash or puree it. Really sticky and caramelised, I could almost have had it as a pudding! I have never liked making mash with boiled sweet potato as I find that anything other than roasting it or baking the whole thing waters the flavour down a lot and makes it a bit soggy for my taste. Having seen eatlikeaGFgirl's post this morning I think next time I will also try adding some cauliflower during the roasting process next time. :)

Really nice dinner last night, citrus/mint-glazed salmon with mashed roasted sweet potato, garlicky grilled courgette (sooo much courgette in the garden now) and garlicky sauteed spinach. Plus some baked plums with blackberries - so many blackberries in the garden at the moment that it would have been rude not to!! Also had a bit of a Blackpool marathon; David Tennant singing into a 99 Flake ice cream was priceless!

I would never have thought to make mashed sweet potato this way until I saw it in the Autoimmune Paleo Cookbook - you peel and cube the sweet potato, toss it in some fat of choice (ghee in this case) with a little sea salt, roast it until it's cooked and a bit browned (I used the Actifry as my small oven was full of salmon), and then mash or puree it. Really sticky and caramelised, I could almost have had it as a pudding! I have never liked making mash with boiled sweet potato as I find that anything other than roasting it or baking the whole thing waters the flavour down a lot and makes it a bit soggy for my taste. Having seen eatlikeaGFgirl's post this morning I think next time I will also try adding some cauliflower during the roasting process next time. :)

You're baaaaaccckkkkk! :D

Oh my god I'm definitely cooking my sweet potato like that today!! Sounds amazing :D I never boil sweet potato normally cook it as a jacket and scoop out the middles, just seems wrong to boil for some strange unbeknown reason lol!

You're baaaaaccckkkkk! :D

Oh my god I'm definitely cooking my sweet potato like that today!! Sounds amazing :D I never boil sweet potato normally cook it as a jacket and scoop out the middles, just seems wrong to boil for some strange unbeknown reason lol!

:D

Should be nice with the cauliflower as well, as roasted cauli is super yummy too. :D Definitely wrong to boil sweet potato as all the loveliness disappears into the water! Who wants lovely cooking water? We want lovely food! :D

A sensible food day today, and finally back to having a green smoothie in the morning. Perhaps a bit too burger-y/meatball-y though! And am having to be careful not to eat too many tomatoes from the garden as they don't agree with me in a large quantity. It's nice that the garden is in full flow, I don't know how long it will carry on but having fresh homegrown stuff is great. :)

pre-yoga: green smoothie with berries, lemon and parsley

breakfast: savoury beef sliders in lettuce wraps

lunch: moroccan meatballs, garlicky spinach with pine nuts and sun-dried tomato, sautéed courgette from the garden, small portion white rice plus a starter of courgette-based hummus and carrot discs

dinner: mustard/thyme chicken thighs, leftover mashed sweet potato, and from the garden green beans and chard, followed by a bit of yesterday's baked plum/blackberry combo

Tonight I plan to make a batch of rice to have on hand during the week, I've discovered it's really nice with pomegranate seeds, the juice and zest of an orange and lots of chopped fresh coriander and mint stirred into it and goes with many different types of dishes too. This week I will be back to the 30 day guide to paleo plan, I think it's week 3 now although I should double check before doing the shopping! So helpful having the shopping list already done and not having to worry about what to have after a long day.

Food sounds great as usual! You always have some really interesting and yummy meals :)

Think I might introduce some white rice at some point, mainly because I want coconut milk rice pudding :rolleyes: but white rice does seem fairly inoffensive.

Food sounds great as usual! You always have some really interesting and yummy meals :)

Think I might introduce some white rice at some point, mainly because I want coconut milk rice pudding :rolleyes: but white rice does seem fairly inoffensive.

I don't find any issues with white rice personally, and it's nice to have an alternative to root veggies sometimes. I read somewhere that going too low carb with ME isn't so great (something to do with cortisol) so I try to always have something with lunch and dinner. :)

Hope work goes well today and that you are feeling well rested x

Your food always sounds so amazing! With white rice is it any that is allowed? I have an amazing recipe I used to make with chorizo, prawns and paella rice would that be allowed in small quantities? Would be nice as a winter comfort food, also miss the odd risotto!

Im also very jealous of your home grown veggies! I tried when we moved here to grow my own but the only thing that took off was strawberries (which has been great this year lol) I just found it too much faff (think having 3 young kids made it harder) but may consider a few planters of things next year.

Hope work goes well today and that you are feeling well rested x

Your food always sounds so amazing! With white rice is it any that is allowed? I have an amazing recipe I used to make with chorizo, prawns and paella rice would that be allowed in small quantities? Would be nice as a winter comfort food, also miss the odd risotto!

Im also very jealous of your home grown veggies! I tried when we moved here to grow my own but the only thing that took off was strawberries (which has been great this year lol) I just found it too much faff (think having 3 young kids made it harder) but may consider a few planters of things next year.

Re the rice, from a 'safe starch' point of view, any white rice should be ok as they have all had the bits removed that are considered troublesome. Personally I keep risotto or paella rice as a very occasional treat as the GI is higher and thus it has more of an affect on my blood sugar. Also I don't mind having half a cup of basmati but half a cup of risotto would be very hard to stop at! :D

Jealous of your strawberries, ours didn't come to much this year! To be honest I haven't had so much success in years past but this year a friend shared some tips that seem to have worked really well. :)

Back