Product Review Thread - what do they taste like?

What are your favourite Slim and Save shakes (up to 3)?

• Total voters
i do the rice cauliflower when the OH is getting indian takeaway then i can have takeaway too!!! i get the dry tandori chicken pieces from my indian its LUSHHHH they do fish too nommm

I get tandoori chicken too.... well makes me feel like I'm being naughty!!! Lol...

X

lol me too especially when i have my zero dr pepper and choccie bar for pud! real spoily dinner!!!

Spicy spaghetti = yummo!!

Another lovely one, truly yummy!! Ive just made fresh foccacia, just pulled it out of the oven and although it smells lush, I am able to resist as Im not hungry!! I love this diet so far. I know you couldnt do it forever, but if it gets me to my goal quickly, which I really think it will, then I can maintain, still using the occasional pack. :D

I'm a few days into my S&S box and here's what I think so far;

Dark choc & coconut bar - a more chewy and not as moist or coconuty version of a dark chocolate Bounty with actual coconut flakes 9/10
Milk choc praline bar - like a less soft Milky Way 8/10
Lemon, yogurt & white choc bar - you can taste both the lemon and the yogurt, similar slighty chewy texture to the other bars 9/10
Milk choc, vanilla & almond - like the middle bit of a Bakewell tart - yum - 9/10
Milk choc truffa - more chewy with a wafer like texture but still very chocolately 9/10

Red fruit shake - tastes like a strawberry mini milk, nice aftertaste 8/10
Caramel shake - really lovely caramel flavour quite sweet 10/10
Crispy choc shake - tastes exactly like sweet choc milk with lovely choc bits in 10/10

Chilli - spicy, texture like real chilli 9/10
Mushroom pasta - strong mushroom taste but with a hint of veg cup a soup followed cooking instructions but the spaghetti pasta bits were hard : ( 6/10
Macaroni cheese - tasted like a liquid wotsit, not sure about the consistency of this one 5/10

I've been making the shakes with water in a blender and they taste less synthetic than the Exante ones, the bars are all amazing but I have to cut them up to stop me scoffing them in a few bites. I like the meals because I can microwave them in work and eat my lunch the same as everyone else.

Just had Original Oatmeal, won't be having that again :( It strangely tasted a little savoury despite me adding a sweetner

my favourite ones are,
cottage pie, chilli, museli bar, strawberry shakes. vanilla shakes and the caffe latte one in a morning... yum yum.

Been looking forward to making cauliflower cheese, with mac/cheese food pack since I ordered it last week, but I have only just had it and it was yummy, not at all disapointed and feel really full :) yum yum

Why did I read this thread??!

Am on Exante.... I guess I will be switching over soon hahaha!

[FONT=&amp]This is a cool I idea. This is only my second day but I'll keep updating with every new pack I try. I didn't try any of the samples so if I don't like anything I have to eat it anyway :p

Shakes

Chocolate - I like the chocolate shake a lot. The taste is very choco malty in a malteasery kind of way. As with all shakes I assume the more water you add the less intense the flavor, but it still tastes yummy when its more dilute.

Vanilla - Now this was a revelation, to me it takes like the limited edition white chocolate milkshake you get from Morrison's own brand. Its light and fresh.

Meals

Macaroni & Cheese - The first thing that hit me was the smell, it reminded me of cheese quavers. The sauce isn't very thick and It needed extra cooking due to the pasta not softening up. It really is quite nice for a diet meal, quite a small quantity though so advisable to have veg with it.

Chilli - I was 50/50 on this. When I first poured out the power it looked measly but once it cooks it really bulks out. It did smell synthetic but it tasted ok. I would definitely follow the instructions next time and leave it to stand for a bit, as the soya gets softer and it becomes more flavourful after a couple of mins. Once again advisable to eat it with veg. I had mine in a red pepper and if like me you prefer your chilli to have a kick id advise putting in some cayenne ect.

Bars

Dark Chocolate and Coconut
- I couldn't stand this flavour. I like dark chocolate but this was too much for me, the centre is filled with white chewy stuff with bits of coconut in it. It was so dry I had to force it down. Unfortunately I have more to eat...

Milk Chocolate Truffa Bar
- Lovely bar, the milk chocolate tastes great, the centre is quite dense and chewy with crispy bits in. It's a very rich flavour but will satisfy any chocolate cravings you might have. [/FONT]

Last edited:
Just had the chilli, very very impressed, texture just like normal chilli and tasted yummy with my cauli 'rice', I would never be as decadent to have chilli at a lunchtime normally but here I am on a VLCD munching on it. S+S is brilliant !!

I've been on slim and save for just over 3 weeks now so thought I'd add my review of the products I've tasted so far. I'll add to this as I try new things.

Meals

Spicy spaghetti- I really enjoy this pack. It tastes like noodles with little bits of 'mince' mixed through. I usually add mushrooms and onions to fill it out a bit. I think it has a nice flavour with a bit of a spicy kick so I don't feel the need to add anything to it. I'd give it 8/10.

Mac cheese- a tiny portion so I normally have 2 packs together and add double the water. I cook for longer as the pasta can be a bit hard. There is more sauce that pasta tbh so would always have with veg. It does have a nice cheesy flavour( reminds me a bit of the packets of cheesy pasta that come in the red box, forget it's name!) the only thing I don't like is how the sauce forms a bit of a skin if not mixed for a bit, can live with it though! 7/10.

Mushroom pasta- I LOVE this! Again I have 2 packs together and add double the water and cook a bit longer. The sauce has a lovely mushroom flavour and is thick and creamy. I add button mushrooms to it. I'd happily eat this if I wasn't on s and s! 10/10

Chilli- tastes like the real thing with a similar texture. I like to add a bit more water so there is more sauce, it has a lovely flavour. Also cook a bit longer otherwise the kidney beans will be hard. I have with cauliflower which I mash :) yum! 9/10.

Cottage pie- on first trial I thought it looked disgusting and tasted a tad bland however I've completely changed my mind about it. Add some bouillon in to the dry mix grind in some black pepper when it's cooked and voilla! Much tastier and very filling! It doesn't look like the most appealing pack but if you can get over that it's a real comfort food and is fast becoming a fav of mine! 9/10.

Sweet porridge- had it once as porridge and it was rank. Weird chewy texture and funny aftertaste. I love real porridge so was massively disappointed. Had 2nd pack as cookies and was a bit better but wont buy again. 1/10

Oatmeal- this was sweeter than the sweet porridge in my opinion. Wasn't horrible but wasn't great either. Jury is still out as ice only had it once and think I need to try again( have a few packs left!)

Soups- have had the mushroom which had a lovely flavour but a slightly grainy texture. Good for lunch at work. 7/10

Bars- favourite is the milk choc truffa. I've tried most of the bars and enjoyed them all but haven't bought since as can't seem to stop at one!! Least fav was the almond one, tasted a bit like it was stale and out of date(although it defo wasn't!)

Shakes- haven't tried all flavours but fav so far is choc and cafe latte. Often have the choc hot or with less water to make a mousse( a wee bit slimy though) but does satisfy my sweet tooth. Cafe latte is nice hot and cold, I don't add milk as don't think it adds to the flavour in any way.
Vanilla was my least fav it just tastes very milky and a bit bland.

My reviews of the packs I've tried so far:

Shakes

Chocolate-This is my favourite so far. Just like normal chocolate milk. It's nice both cold and warmed in the microwave as a hot chocolate. I find the flavour intensifies and it gets a thicker and foamy on top when heated.

Strawberry - Just like strawberry flavoured milk. It actually has strawberry seeds in it.

Vanilla Caramel - Quite milky, the caramel flavour didn't seem very strong to me and next time I'll try it warmed as I think that'll improve it.

Crispy Chocolate - This one seems to work best with less water than usual. Most of the crispy bits got chopped up in my blender unfortunately so next time I'll try is as a pudding.

Hazelnut - Again, not a strong flavour but it reminded me of the blended nut milks I used to drink pre diet.

Bars

Dark Chocolate & Coconut - A very thin layer of dark chocolate around a hard/chewy coconut filling. Not overly coco-nutty but still good if you don't mind the chewiness.

Meals

Macaroni Cheese - Very small portion but very tasty. The pasta did stay a bit crunchy so it probably needs a teeny bit extra water.

on 2nd day of using sample order.....

Mac Cheese - Urgh. This is all I have to say. It smelt really strange and tasted even stranger, massive disappointment after reading the great reviews it got...Annoyed me even more because I LOVE cheese :(

Mushroom Pasta - Far too salty for my taste. The flavour itself was extremely savoury however, I could only cope with one spoonful due to its saltiness :sign0137: ....It went in the bin after that. I may get another packet and make it up with more water, see if that dilutes that saltiness.

Spicy Spaghetti - More sauce than pasta but, it had a lovely flavour, bit on the spicy side. But hey, at last a hot meal that I like!

Chilli - 2 words: NOM NOM. Enjoyed this the most so far. When you tip it out the pack the portion looks incredibly miniscule, once it's cooked it pretty much doubles in volume. Looking forward to having it again.

Choc Praline Bar - yumski! Very nice with a cuppa, it was quite rich and certainly does not taste anything like a diet bar!

Maple Fruits bar - again, yumski! Lovely fruity flavour, goes lovely with it's coating of dark chocolate. Will definitely be ordering more of these :party0049:

Crispy choc shake - only one I've tried so far, it's lush - will be ordering zillions of these!

Will come back and update once I've tried more stuff :cross:

I really enjoyed the cookie and cream. Less sweet than the caramel, light milky base with cookie bits fine and Yummy

Will be trying rasberry and toffee over weekend :)

I tried the tai soup today, it wasn't very tasty in my opinion and i dont think i will order it again. So glad S&S give you the tester pack option.

Tried the mushroom pasta today and I'm in love! Wish I'd ordered more of that than the mac cheese. It's creamy tasting, thick and goes over veg like a dream. Bit light on the pasta but that's okay.

Back