Rockchick's diary - light (er) at the end of the tunnel

rockchick72

Hello Healthy Eating People

I am sure like a lot of you my story is not a new one

I started to put weight on about the age of 8-10 - I put it down in retrospect to 2 broken family situations (my Mum got divorced twice and I lost contact with my biological Dad at the age of 7) I genuinely remember eating my way through bags of sweets and being really unhappy but no one ever talking about it.

I have spent all of my life on a diet - and fluctuated between weights. One thing is sure though, that year on year I have just got bigger and bigger.

I have a good career and I am really good at my job. I have far too much debt but have a separate plan to pay that off. I have a lovely husband and great friends and am generally ok with my life- I think! I am approaching 40 and know though that now I need to sort my health, and my mind out, as far as my weight goes. My husband is in exactly the same place- he needs to sort it too- he has at least 8 stone to lose to be a healthier weight.

Time for a reality check- I think I have been kidding myself about how serious this now is. I avoid going to the doctor as I know I will get lectured about weight and it is embarrassing. In the past I have been refused the pill, had a diabetes test - which they said was borderline pre-diabetic, had concerns about blood pressure raised - and I always talk myself into thinking they are wrong or it isn't an issue. I think I am pretty healthy but I can't go on dodging the bullets.

I walked up one flight of stairs yesterday at work and as I sat down and was talking to people,I was out of breath. Ridiculous.
I don't think I look professional at work because of my weight- I am not saying you can't-but I feel embarrassed.

I am fed up of not being able to do things- active things with friends, theme parks etc. I went out today and was shouted at by young lads about my weight -completely ignored them and carried on, but to be honest kids are kids and I am an obvious target. In a way it does me a favour because I don't want to have to endure that- so I need to do something about it. I want to be able to wear clothes from any shop I choose because I like them,not because they look vaguely ok.

Anyway - I got an offer on Pete Cohen's programme WeightLoss Guru from my gym- yes the one I am not using enough at the moment. There are tools and motivational videos that you watch each day. You start with just choosing 3 of the 9 tools

I am starting with
Drink 2 litres water a day
Walk 30 mins a day - my lovely doggie needs the exercise too!
Eat only when hungry

There are lots of other things like listening to a relaxation mp3, cutting down sugar and stimulants, regular exercise sessions- but start small and work up is the message. Change your habits. Think about what you want. Diets don't work.

I have always set targets, beat myself up when I didn't reach them and then gone back to old bad habits. So - no targets, no timescales - just one day at a time, and a realisation that nothing is banned - but at the moment I need to be more conscious about looking after my body and myself.

I am a serial weigher so need to try and cut this down too. Again, I am not going to beat myself up about it. In Pete's words - just do the best you can.

I am off on hols in 2 weeks, just for 5 days - and to a lovely area of Spain where there is loads of fish and seafood and plenty of chance to walk and swim.

Anyway- that's me. I am sure I will be popping in to other threads and will keep you all updated on my new approach to life :D

I'm on day 4 and feeling really positive. I have eaten things that are not particularly healthy - like a bag of crisps and a chocolate biscuit- but on the whole I am eating when hungry, eating healthy food, have walked for 30 mins on 3/4 days and am drinking lots of water

It is such a relief to be able to eat 1 biscuit and not think - oh I've blown it now eat the whole packet. I don't feel like I am cheating as there is no plan. I therefore don't feel the compulsion to "have a day off" and eat a load of stupid stuff as there is no day on - it is very liberating

I am a serial weigher and so anything less than every day is an achievement. I weighed today and the scales say 8lb less- don't really believe that and am trying not to focus on that anyway but the walking (especially when I get up and take the dog out early morning) is really making me feel better - it's all to do with seratonin and endorphins when you exercise apparently

Also, I have learnt that the more you do regular exercise - the more you increase your metabolic rate - hence weight loss gets easier!

How is it going? Your woe sounds fantastic. I cant seem to last anymore than 2 weeks on any plan. Anything I can stick to doesnt work anything that works I cant stick to :(

Back