Soup-souls!!

hi has anybody got the French Onion soup from the new book please?
Hubbys fave soup.

Here you go - just read and copied from the book:

Serves 4 - takes 50-55 minutes

Ingredients:
low cal cooking spray e.g. frylight
6 medium onions, peeled and sliced
1 garlic clobe, sliced
1 tbsp fresh thyme leaves
1 ltr veg stock
salt and pepper to taste

Method:
Spray a heavy based saucepan with low cal spray
Add onions and garlic and saute for 20-25 mins over low heat until golden brown
Stir well before adding thyme and stock
Bring to the boil
Simmer for 10 mins
Season soup and garnish, serve immediately

Hope this helps :D

No problem :) hope it keeps the hubby happy and quiet for a minute :) Let me know if you want any others out of the book xx

MissChattyBex said:
I LOVE SOUP! I am the biggest soupie in my class. Always having soup. My favourite recipe is beefy Bovril, sweet potato and winter veg soup:

1 sweet potato
1/2 onion
1 parsnip
1 small potato
1 carrot
1 tsp Bovril

All chopped up and boil in the made up Bovril, for around 20 minutes and then blend. Sometimes like to leave it chunky and its more like a stew :) Yum Yum :)

This sounds lovely I'm looking forward to trying it! Thanks for sharing :) x

Got the SW soup recipe book last night and made the Rustic bean and pasta soup on p.82 - although without the pasta as I forgot to buy it - it is absolutely delicious! and very fillling - if I'd managed to put pasta in it it would be even more so. Definitely making it again.

I never used to be a fan of soup but since trying SW I've started to enjoy them. My fave is a modified recipe for Pea & Ham, with a few extra Superfree ingredients:

200g ham (I've used meat cut off a joint, gammon, bacon or even sliced stuff. No messing about with boiling a joint, just cut it up and lob it in)
1 pack dried peas
2 leeks
2 carrots
1 onion
2 potatoes
2 celery sticks
Half a stem of broccoli (or more if you want!)
1 tin of mushy peas
2 tspn dried mint
pork stock cube
water

After hydrating and rinsing the peas, I fry them in some fry light with everything except the mushy peas. After they have softened a bit, throw in the stock cube (can use a chicken stock cube but I love the pork ones) and cover with water. Simmer for about 20 mins then add the mushy peas. Simmer for another 20 mins but beware, it will start to stick after you add the mushy's. When everything is soft, blend. Easy and really tasty- plus thick and super filling.

Made this for Supper last night..........

Pete’s Spicy Chicken Noodle Soup

Serves 2

Ingredients

200g chopped pre-cooked chicken pieces
1 Ltr chicken stock, made with Knorr chicken stock pot & hot water
1 150g pack of Amoy “straight to wok”) rice noodles
1 onion, finely chopped
1 carrot, finely chopped
1 celery stick, finely chopped
1 chilli, deseeded, finely chopped
1 Tbsp chopped parsley

Method

Cook onions in a saucepan sprayed with Fry Light, cooked until soft, add carrot, celery & chicken, cook for 10 mins, add stock and bring to the boil, turn the heat down and simmer for 10 mins, add the noodles and cook for a further 2 mins then add chopped parsley and serve when piping hot.

ChickenNoodleSoupLarge.jpg

syn free pea and mint soup

Hi there, just made the syn free pea and mint soup for tea... Was really delicious, especially with a big swirl of far free natural yogurt through. Took only 10 mins to cook so super quick and easy.

Love the sound of the recipes on this thread. Look forward to seeing some more. :eek:

I've just made massive pan of soup tonight, so ive got some to come home to tomorrow after work :)
quick and easy. lol
I tend to buy the frozen bags of casserole veg from Asda. they're £1 and they have carrot, turnip, celery and onion in all pre-peeled and cut! just stick that in the pan with 2 oxo veg stock cubes and a couple of pints of water, i add mixed herbs, salt, pepper, paprika, dash of garlic granules and few ground chilli flakes for a kick. i tend to let it simmer a while to really get the flavours in then blend with a hand blender. have frozen this too and it was fine even tho the veg was pre frozen
happy days :) plus its free on both or EE.
xx

I've got a recipe lined up that just involves frozen veg...i was wondering about re-freezing. Thankyou for clarifying :)

I've just made massive pan of soup tonight, so ive got some to come home to tomorrow after work :)
quick and easy. lol
I tend to buy the frozen bags of casserole veg from Asda. they're £1 and they have carrot, turnip, celery and onion in all pre-peeled and cut! just stick that in the pan with 2 oxo veg stock cubes and a couple of pints of water, i add mixed herbs, salt, pepper, paprika, dash of garlic granules and few ground chilli flakes for a kick. i tend to let it simmer a while to really get the flavours in then blend with a hand blender. have frozen this too and it was fine even tho the veg was pre frozen
happy days :) plus its free on both or EE.
xx

Great idea will add that to my shopping list, thanks

SKMinnie said:
Great idea will add that to my shopping list, thanks

Hi I know this is an old thread but if I make the above soup would it be classes as superfree or would I still have to have superfree with it if i have it for my lunch xxx

Jenni84 said:
I made the Roasted Tomato & Basil soup from the EE Summer Days book today, but.......i forgot to get the basil so i added some chilli and made spicy roasted tomato soup instead!

Ingredients

500g ripe tomatoes, quartered

1 onion, peeled & chopped

1 red pepper, deseeded & diced

2 garlic cloves, peeled

low calorie cooking spray

salt & freshly ground black pepper

750ml hot vegetable stock

25g pack basil, torn

1/4 tsp sweetener

basil leaves to garnish

Method

Preheat the oven to 200/Gas 6

Place the tomatoes, onion, pepper and garlic in a roasting tin. Spray with low calorie cooking spray and toss to coat. Season well then roast in the oven for 25-30 minutes, or until softened.

Transfer the roasted vegetables into a large saucepan, add the stock, basil and sweetener and bring to the boil. Remove from the heat and liquidise with a hand blender or in a food processor.

Garnish with the basil leaves.

This sounds great! Can't wait to try. Thanks :)

Back