SW high in fat and sugar?!

My OH does SW and he's diabetic, he's lost 4.5 stone, he's more than halved the amount of insulin he takes, his blood sugars are the lowest they've ever been, his blood pressure has dropped, his kidney functions have improved and his doctors at the diabetic clinic have backed him all the way.
I can't believe she's said it's high in fat and sugars. The fat free yoghurts that have sugar in them are not syn free, so if you eat the syn free ones you'll find they have no fat and no sugar. Like someone else said if you cook form scratch you're not going add fat and sugars, you can leave out what you want and add healthy foods like veg. In fact most diabetics carb count and doing SW allows you can do this easily. I know SW says you can eat unlimited pasta and rice but it doesn't force you to it's down to personal preferences, you could always do Red days which would limit them. It's all about understanding what you need to do to keep your blood sugars down and adapting the diet to suit your personal circumstances which is easy to do.
I think the nurse needs to read up on the SW diet before she makes statements like that, there are a lot worse diets he could be on that would have a bigger impact on his health, SW is basically a healthy eating diet. There is a section online called Dealing with Diabetes - food optimising fits, this goes through doing SW with diabetes. There are a lot of comments underneath from people who have done SW with diabetes saying how it's helped their health.
I hope he sticks with it and it hasn't put him off and good luck x

Thanks for the info green eyed monster, I really appreciate it and I've sent it to my dad for him to read through!

no problem.

x

Back