Swimming or gym?

You don't have to just swim. You can run, jump, jumping jacks, burpees, etc in the water. I swim 6-8 times a week.

I'm all for swimming

This thread is making me want to get back into swimming, since I broke my thumb a month or so ago I couldn't go but I should be OK now. I was never quick as I got asthma and can't breathe that well but worked up to being able to swim constantly for a while :)

In my opinion swimming is the best and not like gym =)
Swimming helps lose weight, burn calories and puts little stress on your body. Swimming works all the major muscles, and will tone you up and slim you down

I wish I could swim 'properly' like the people who just make it look effortless - I have a bad shoulder so can't do proper strokes, and asthma means I can't hold my breath under water (I end up feeling panicky after a few strokes of holding then breathing then back down) I do a lot of backstroke as this is the most comfortable thing, although not sure if it uses the same amount of energy as front? It feels a lot easier for my lungs and body...

i love swimming but i've been really lazy and not been for weeks but im starting again today...agree with the poster who said quite rightly , its what you like doing most!! works for me!!
i just need a kick in the butt to keep me motivated as i'm prone to laziness!!

I love swimming, but I really don't know how 'clean' are the public swimming pools. I am based in London and tried to find any sort of statistic indicating of the hygiene level of each boroughs and found out nothing.
So therefore I chose gym over swimming.

Swimming pools will be fine - they are all highly regulated and people do spot checks to ensure cleanliness. the same sort of dirt occurs in private pools, I wouldn't worry about it, unless the actual place looks really badly looked after/no maintenance etc.

I'd love to get back into swimming but having moved back to london, it's just not affordable quite yet :(

Hi. I'm restarting my weight loss plan after years off, and my new plan involves 1 hour of swimming every weekday (with weekends off), and a daily intake of 1200 cals. I started at New Year and want my weigh-in day to be Saturday, so I'm just coming to the end of my first "week" and so far I'm really enjoying it. Swimming boosts my mood - just knowing that I've done some exercise makes me feel so much better, and although I'm a bit achy I like that it is not intensive. Have to wait for Saturday to see if it works, though.

Even i prefer swimming is good one to stay fit. Gym is also good, but if you stop going gym , it affects the body. May increases the weight as my consultant siad. So I prefer always Natural ways. Swimming is the best with NO SIDE EFFECTS...!! Daily walk is also good.

A mix of both is very good however for most beneficial quick term results without the physical side effects swimming is definitely the best.

Some impact is good for your bones though, it makes them stronger. Especially if you're a woman and pre or peri menopausal. Research has shown that those who do some impact exercise (even just walking) have stronger bones than those who do no impact exercise at all in the long run!

Swimming is great though.

Last edited:
Back