SYN FREE LEMON MERINGUE PIE

Thanks Donnie!
I will certainly try everything as this is one of my fav recipes. Am hooked!

ok think im going to try this on tuesday!lemon merangue pie is one of my faves!
im thinking maybe i could blend a hifi bar for a base?then i wouldnt need to use any syns jst a HE.as i do think i would miss the base!

That is a good idea... when you try it let us know please.
I also want to try it with the instant potato pastry - next time. I have a huge pie to finish off first!

****Just a question Donnie. This is the second time I've made it and it is not sold but softish, like a pudding. It doesn't matter as its yum but is that right?****

Sonia, I made a family sized one yesterday and I added an extra egg and some more quark (about ½ a tub) and the mixture was a bit thicker, plus there was more meringue for the topping with the extra egg white, it was yummy as usual...X

oooh donnie!! you just HAD to go and give me yet ANOTHER reason to buy quark didn't you :p ;) LOL

i'll be trying this for sure this week! :D thanks! xx

I have just made mini meringue pies, using the instant mash "pastry" as a base.
I sprayed with fry light butter, then I lined 15 foil cup cake cases with the "pastry" which I made from adding a little boiling water to the instant potato, making it stiff like pastry. I Baked them for about 10 minutes, and then continued with the recipe as usual.
They are BRILLIANT! They came out of the cases easily and taste so good. They really make pretty little tarts. I am going to make them for our SW party!
Thanks again Donnie.

right i have made it and taken a pic which i will post up in a bit. Prob was i didnt see the "serve it chilled" and ate some of it hot and it was a bit eggy and runny. So I will leave it to cool and see if it tastes different.

I have just made mini meringue pies, using the instant mash "pastry" as a base.
I sprayed with fry light butter, then I lined 15 foil cup cake cases with the "pastry" which I made from adding a little boiling water to the instant potato, making it stiff like pastry. I Baked them for about 10 minutes, and then continued with the recipe as usual.
They are BRILLIANT! They came out of the cases easily and taste so good. They really make pretty little tarts. I am going to make them for our SW party!
Thanks again Donnie.

Did you add anything to the potato like splenda or just had it as is??? Not sure how this could taste nice with potato?

No Splenda added. I make it like a stiff dough. It was about 60gms of smash, with 70mls of boiling water. I worked the smash and it looked like pastry. I lined each cup cake with a thin layer of the "dough", baked it for about 20 minutes before continuing with the recipe.
I took them the to SW party this evening, and everyone enjoyed them. Our consultant asked what I did for the pastry base. When I said Smash, no-one believed it as you could not taste the potato at all.
The lemon is quite strong so if there is any potato flavour it probably masks it but it certainly does not taste of potato, and no sweetener needed. It tastes like a plain pastry base.
Give it a try, it's worth it!

Sorry but I didn't like them. Not your fault Donnie, but I'm not a Quark fan! I think I might try them again but use fromage frais instead and see how they turn out. Loved the meringue though! I scooped that off and had it with some raspberries! They did turn out looking very pretty though!

hmm sounds yummy, was just wondering if this would work with a chocolate options (2 syns) instead of the lemon? :D thanks

Ooh Donnie

Thanks ever so much for this recipe. Lemon meringue is my favorite and I thought I would have to give up due to diet and diabetes........ you are a life saver!!!!!!!!

Back