Thai curry - coconut milk substitute?

I would love the recipe too.

many thanks

if making thai green chicken try half tin of low fat coconut milk and half chicken stock maybe add fat free fromage frais to make it creamier I'm going to try this tonight

almond milk is supposedly a good substitute (but is hard to get in the UK I believe)

failing that you can add some coconut essence to normal milk. However don't use skimmed milk as it is too watery. You need to use semi skimmed milk at the least.

Hi All,

New to the forum but just wanted to say, I've just bought 2 bottles of coconut extract.

love Thai green curry so elated that I can still enjoy it for no syns!!

Hayley

Last edited by a moderator:
I did a Thai green curry using Philly extra light and skimmed milk. It was lovely. Even OH ate it.

Works with Quark and a teaspoon sweetener, just as nice as the philly version but saves your hexa or syns.

Pete's Green Thai Chicken Curry

Pete’s Green Thai Chicken Curry

Serves 4

2.45 syns per person

Ingredients

400g chicken breast, cut into 1 inch pieces (s) (ff)
400ml tin of Blue Dragon Coconut Milk Light (3.5 syns per 100ml) use 200ml=7 syn
1tsp of salt
1tsp sweetener (s)(sff)
1tbsp fish sauce 0.4syn per tbsp.
2tbsp green Thai curry paste 1syn per tbsp.
2 tsp “Very Easy” lemongrass paste
Zest of 1 lime (s)(sff)
Juice of 1 lime (s)(sff)
1medium onion, finely sliced (s)(sff)
50g of fresh coriander, finely chopped
200g Jasmine rice or Sainsbury’s Thai Fragrant Rice (ff)

Method

In a small blender, blend the onion & lemongrass paste & put to one side.
Heat a wok over a high heat and spay with Fry Light, add the green curry paste and the coconut milk, cook for 1 minute. Add the chicken and cook for 2-3 minutes, ensuring the chicken gets well coated in the curry paste.
Add the onion, fish sauce, lime zest, lime juice, salt and sweetener and cook for a further 2 minutes. Reduce the heat and simmer for 10 minutes. Add half of the chopped fresh coriander & mix into the sauce, continue simmering for a further 5 mins, decorate the dish with the remaining coriander.
Serve with the cooked rice.

Green Thai Chicken Curry (Small).JPG

Sounds good - how much quark do you use?

I use a whole tub, between my husband and I. I do add Mushrooms, Red Pepper, Red Onion, Mange Tout and Baby Corn as well as the chicken, its a big portion but not stopped me loosing :)

Last edited:
I have just purchased Maggi Coconut Milk Powder where you just add warm water. I have no idea of the syn value, just thought I would give it a go!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

It'll be 1 syn per 20 calories. A quick google shows MFP giving it 675 calories per 100g or about 50 per tbsp, so 2.5 syns per tbsp, but that's depend how hard you pack it into the spoon. It isnt going to be cheap :(

Thanks for that. I havent tried it yet, looking at the preparation Thin Coconut milk 1 tbl to 175ml warm water, Thick 3 tbl to 175ml

Back