This story makes me so sad..

xSinead

Silver Member
'Britain's fattest teen' Georgia Davis is cut free from her home - Wales News - News - WalesOnline

I read the article & watched Daybreak this morning, and heard about what happened yesterday..
She's only a few years younger than me, and its just so scary! That could of been me. I was always obese as a child, i always weighed more
than my age.. and whats even more sad is that Georgia lost half her body weight a couple of years ago at an American boot camp, but soon as she
got home she put it all back on and now weighs around 60 stone at the age of 19!
I wish i could give her even half of my motivation & just tell her that hard work pays off.. slowly.
This will be my motivation for today (weigh in in an hour!)

I guess it's easy to return to bad habits you've always had when she got back home, such a shame poor girl!!

Good luck for your weigh in!!

I'll never ever ever go back to half the person i was 3 months ago, i think if you're in the right mind set you can achieve anything. & Thanks :)

xSinead said:
I'll never ever ever go back to half the person i was 3 months ago, i think if you're in the right mind set you can achieve anything. & Thanks :)

Yeah, if your in the zone you've cracked it xxx

Sent from my iPhone using MiniMins

Oh that's so sad :( I remember watching the reality program when she went to the boot camp. She was so motivated. But it was clear she was going to struggle when she got back. She was only 15 I think and her mum had filled the fridge with unhealthy stuff so she was obviously going to struggle when she returned. That's absolutely heartbreaking :(

start - 12.2 current - 11.9 target 9.7

Drunk Tinkerbell said:
Oh that's so sad :( I remember watching the reality program when she went to the boot camp. She was so motivated. But it was clear she was going to struggle when she got back. She was only 15 I think and her mum had filled the fridge with unhealthy stuff so she was obviously going to struggle when she returned. That's absolutely heartbreaking :(

Yeah her parents not good doing that. I remember her now. Tbh she should have gone in foster care or at the very least social services should have stepped in. That's not even living is it.
Xxx

Sent from my iPhone using MiniMins

Last edited:
I honestly do think parents are partly to blame alot of the time, i come from an italian family so my whole life ive been given HUGE plates of food.. its only been recently my mums been supportive, and the fact i don't live at home anymore! :p Lol!

I think what is really sad, is she was given the opportunity to lose weight, which she did, and then when she returned home it doesn't look like the support continued. What needs to be looked at is why she is overeating & why she continues to eat & remain overweight when she knows it's going to kill her.

She really needs help to overcome her eating habits & not just a quick fix.

Theres a lot more to her weight gain than just not getting healthy meals when she got home. I saw another article about her about a year ago and she just didnt seem to want to take responsibility for her weight gain. She was blaming absolutely everyone apart from herself. Shes an adult now, she has to take responsibility, shes the one thats putting the food in her mouth. for the sheer amount of weight shes put on thats not just a bad diet, thats some massive bingeing and over eating. Shes put on around 40 stone in under 4 years!!! I cant in all honesty see this story having a happy ending :(

I can relate to her not taking responsibilty though, its something that comes with time. I never looked at the fact i was 21 stone last year at the age of 21. I thought it was ok, nothing wrong with it. Maybe with a type of therapy to address her issues she would look at herself and lifestyle more and see what cycle she's been forming. I have therapy, ive had it for years and i'm changing my opinions of myself all the time, and realising this is MY journey, mine alone and its down to me to be the person i want to be.

I think it's hard to expect someone in her position to take responsibility. I agree that I should take responsibility for my own weight gain as I put all my weight on as an adult. I knew about healthy eating etc and I therefore knowingly consumed an unhealthy diet. This poor girl on the other hand was 15 and 33 stone. I personally don't think she can take any responsibility for that weight, as far as I'm concerned it's all down to her parents.

When she came home having lost 16 odd stone, she could have changed her life maybe, but by the articles I've read she tried. She walked lots and went back to school. But at 16 years old, it's a bit much to expect her to have provided herself with a healthy diet when she was still in education and living with parents that by the sound of things, visited the chippy every evening.

I just think her parents are *almost* totally responsible for the state she's in :(

But also you dont gain a stone a month by going to the chippy. Theres a lot more to her weight gain than her mother making unhealthy meals for her. Its just so sad but she just seems to blame everyone else for her weight gain. Unhealthy dinners aside, SHES the one whos eating what must be massive amounts of food and allowing her weight to pile on. I do agree that in her early teens etc her parents were at fault, absolutely but Shes an adult now but still blames everyone else apart from herself. She just doesnt seem to take any responsibility for her weight whatsoever. I know my weight was horrific when I started seriously dieting but I also know who was responsible for it.

If the sheer embarassment and humiliation she must have experienced yesterday doesnt give her a massive wake up call, then nothing will

Shes also proof that despite what people think about VLCDs, it truly is irrelevant how you lose your weight, its what you do once youve lost it that matters and determines your success in it staying off. So many people are quick to condemn vlcds 'faster it comes off faster it goes on' and that nonsense. This girl lost it healthily, eating well, and exercising, was taught all about making good choices and maintenance and it didnt make any difference whatsoever :(

Last edited:
Agreed. To everyone that says "you'll just put it straight back on" it really doesn't make any difference how you do it. Whatever your diet of choice, if you are doing it as a one time 'diet' and think you can eat what you like when at target, you'll be right back at square one in no time at all.

I must say though, it's daunting to have just 3 stone to lose. I can't even imagine where you would find the motivation when you have 50 stone to lose :(

Drunk Tinkerbell said:
Agreed. To everyone that says "you'll just put it straight back on" it really doesn't make any difference how you do it. Whatever your diet of choice, if you are doing it as a one time 'diet' and think you can eat what you like when at target, you'll be right back at square one in no time at all.

I must say though, it's daunting to have just 3 stone to lose. I can't even imagine where you would find the motivation when you have 50 stone to lose :(

Oh god I know.. I think having 4 stone to lose is so daunting.. Thats why I have started doing something about it before I just get bigger and bigger. I can really understand why someone that size with that amount to lose would just think sod it. I hope she can finally get the help she needs because people like her are never gonna succeed alone !

This poor girl strikes me as a classic addict. Addicted to food and eating and also, more specifically, addicted to carbohydrates whether they be sugary or starchy. If she is addicted then she has lost the power of choice over food. She cannot say no; she cannot choose wisely; she cannot particularly when bed-bound refuse the high carb meals served by her Mum. If she could make healthy choices and limit portion sizes she would not be in this situation.

When she was at boot camp she got lots of support, encouragement and counselling. Everyone there was rooting for her and willing her to succeed as well as providing her with good, healthy food in moderate amounts. She was tackling their programme alongside other kids with the same problem so she did not feel embarassed or humiliated when doing sports, exercises etc. But when she got back home she found the same situation she had left behind. NO or insufficient continued backup support from the boot camp peeps. She was expected to just get on with it. Naturally and understandably she found herself in huge trouble very fast.

I really do feel for her. I hope that she gets assessed whilst in hospital and that they give her decent, practical, workable advice. She may need therapy/counselling, too. But first and foremost she needs to get sugar and starch OUT of her system, perhaps with a low-carb way of eating such as Atkins. This would give her the benefit of ketosis and take away the harsh edge of her hunger and cravings.

If no healthcare official or body steps forward to save this girl she will die. It's only a matter of time. I can see gastric bypass or similar being suggested sooner rather than later. I personally am opposed to bariatric surgery unless it is literally a last-minute procedure to save someone from imminent death. More and more obese and morbidly obese young people in the UK - including teenagers - are begging for or being offered WLS.

Earlier this week a bariatric nurse in the UK posted a long and sobering blog about what she calls 'the truth' about WLS. I can't remember which newspaper featured her blog but it would be easy to google. If Georgia or any other has a bypass or similar procedure she will be agreeing to never, ever in her lifetime being able to eat another 'normal', everyday meal. She will be condemned to risk of dumping (which makes the individual feel very ill indeed) following ingestion of fatty or sugary food or both - even a very small amount can cause this problem. She will be required to have blood tests and other procedures forever, as well as to take numerous supplements - again, for the rest of her life. Even with heavy supplementation WLS patients are still at risk of anaemia, eye problems, malabsorption issues (which can lead to death), vitamin and other deficiencies... and many more. Even if it is all judged 'a success' she may well regain all but 10% of her initial weight loss. I read very recently that WLS patients are NOT told they will probably, over time, regain their voracious appetite. They may not be physically able to eat as they did before surgery but they will to some extent experience the old hunger and cravings which can lead them to nibble all day.

Should any reader doubt what I have said, check out a couple of yahoo groups:

WLS uncensored

WLS gone wrong

I have a friend in the USA who is literally lucky to be alive following gastric bypass. She was featured in a tv documentary along with two other sample patients - one of them a British girl (teenager). Alas the girl died after a year of ultra fast weight loss and near-total inability to absorb nutrients from her food. So shocking was this documentary that I became very anxious to know whether or not the American lady was still alive; she was close to death at the time of filming. I found her! Yes she is alive but only because of a long campaign to get funding for a 'reversal'. Had her bypass NOT been reversed she would no longer be here.

Here in the UK severe obesity problems are increasing relentlessly and surgery is more and more touted as the answer. I think it is just easier for them to offer this, since the NHS will pay where applicable, and no real effort has to be made or financed into the treatment of individuals who are eating themselves to early death.

Georgia, bless her, is just one of many suffering behind closed doors.

Everything I have just typed is easily checked and verified online - but don't expect the truth on a site dedicated to selling and promoting WLS!

I have alot more than most on this site (that i've seen) to still lose in weight. I've lost almost 4 stone in 12 weeks, but i have over 5 stone left to lose. Its not daunting though, not in the slightest, it might of been a couple of months ago but i'm focused, i'm doing this, its working, i've lost so much weight and i know i WILL lose the rest. Like i said before, its all about being in the right mind set. I don't know if Georgia Davis's age has anything to do with it, because at the age of 19 i wasn't fully ready to comit to a lifestyle change in order to better myself and lose weight, and i don't know if its got anything to do with her upbringing, pyschological issues she may have or maybe lack of motivation because she's let the weight pile up and up until its got to the point where maybe she feels like its too late. All of it i can relate to, i wish i could help her, its so sad to see someone slowly waving goodbye to their life, no matter what age they are. I hope the hospital can help her with the journey she will need to embark on to a new healthy life.

Apparently though she has just recently given up on an 'extreme' diet her doctors put her on to save her life. She has according to the papers etc been swing a consultant so it's not like she's been left to get on with things

So she HAS been getting help but she's choosing not to take it. I can't help think it's merely a matter of time before the media are reporting the death of 'Britains Biggest teen'

The thing is I do think you've got to want to help yourself like any addiction, alcohol, food, fags. You have to hit rock bottom first.

However if she basically can't move and is housebound, someone is feeding her and cooking for her. So her mum, why isn't she helping by taking the junk out of the house? Why isn't she helping my cooking healthy meals if she is worried sick. I don't know why SS did not intervene when she was a minor. In my eyes over feeding someone like that is a form of abuse. You wouldn't give an alcoholic wine..

Back