This time is different...Day 7

Wow TTL - I've just noticed your extraordinary weight loss - did you really lose over a stone in the first two weeks? WOW! Good luck for WI tomorrow

DIR, what I do is weigh myself every morning and log it on minimins if my weight changes, so my ticker is ahead of my wiegh ins, I cant wait a week to put my progress on here...lol.

I woke this morning with a flat stomach, which feels amazing. I retain a lot of water a lot of the time, so this felt wonderful!

Great to hear you are still on track. x

I weigh daily too, but only put my official weigh ins on here (although I do have a little book in which I write my daily weight).

I posted this on the september forum but wanted to keep any major thoughts here so they're all in one place. It's about the role routine and reward play in my eating habits (a huge one, by all accounts!)

-----------------------------------------------------------------

I really wanted my usual latte this morning, ("it's skinny, whats the harm...") and it got me thinking. Why do I need it? I'm not hungry...cogs were whirring at great speed this morning, I can tell you!

Anyway, the answer, I think, is reward and routine. I have an early start every day, have to get one DD ready for school and one for nursery, then walk or cycle them to the different locations, and then I have to get back, get straight in my office and work (or skive on minimins, depending!). My morning coffee stop is my reward for doing everything I have to do without complaint, and a routine "marker" that signals the start of the working day (as I currently work from home).

This will all change from next week as I'm going to uni and won't have a coffee opportunity on the way, but me using cafe's as a reward probably won't.

Anyway, I still wanted my treat, but got a black americano instead. And allowed myself 20 mins on here before starting work. (1 min to go...)

I found this on the CD forum and loved it, so thank you BubblyPenguin!

Originally Posted by BubblyPenguin

I had a thought earlier, pm-ing a friend. This is not a restart, this is not day 2 of a 100%. This is a journey to reach my goal. There are up hill bits, down hill bits, and sometimes there a pebbles that make us trip up. That doesn't mean I go back to beginning and start over. I simply stand up, brush myself off and keep travelling until I get to my destination. At the minute it's down hill. I shall hang onto this feeling as I know there may be an incline around the corner, so I'll reserve some energy and when it comes, I'll dig my heels in and be strong...

Great quote.
DIR, It sounds like you already have a pertty good handle on some of your emotional hunger.
I suppose one of my worries is that I don't allow myself to listen to the voices whilst I am abstinent & as a result of this, maybe I'm not going to learn anything about my eating behaviour. I have absolutely no worries about losing the weight, but my biggest fear is not keeping it off. I simply can't go through this again in another 12 months - not for my health, my sanity nor my bank balance!
So I wonder..... by refusing to listen to my inner voices am I missing out on some learning? Maybe i'm mixing up not listening with hearing but choosing to ignore?
I better pay more attention in my group meetings this time round!

How are we all going today ladies?

yoyo
xx

Yo-yo, I don't think you should worry too much. It may be that you've made more of a conscious decision to do LL already, whereas when I started I think I was still contemplating it rather than having actually decided to go for it which may be why I had so many problems.

One thing I have noticed though, is that if I want food whilst on this diet, I need to analyse why. LL is supposed to curb hunger. If you get hungry you have a pack. This satisfies your physiological need. Therefore if you still want to eat something, especially something particular, then there's probably (almost definitely) a reason other than hunger there. Hence me and my lattes - this was fulfilling a psychological need and I needed to find out what it was. I think its to do with thought records, but I never made it that far in the programme...

Hey guys, need some motivation? Check out this thread:
http://www.minimins.com/cambridge-diet-forum/115285-what-changes-have-you-noticed.html
It's fab! I'm going to have to remind myself of this when I'm feeling down. I might even print it out and stick it somewhere for those down days...

I've just been on this thread:
http://www.minimins.com/cambridge-diet-forum/115297-your-weight-cycle-2.html
And they're doing weight cycles (listing the years and then putting what weight they were and what major things happend in those years to see what patterns emerge). I did mine, thinking it was quite interesting. Well, it certainly was. I'm not feeling ready to put mine online yet, but the hour I spent doing it was certainly time well spent. This is one of the most useful processes I've ever done and I urge you to do one too. It’s opened my eyes to exactly how much food, weight and diets have dictated my life and my happiness, right from the age of 11. What a waste. If anything is motivating me to get it sorted, its this. I also realise that there are very few times in my adult life, if any, where I’ve actually stayed at a weight. It’s always been “in control” or “out of control” - losing weight, or gaining weight. It was shocking. Thank god I didn't try and calculate how much money I've spent binging or on diets over the last 20 years, that really would scare me!

Hi,
Your statement about "in control" or "out of control" just about sums up my eating history too. When not on LL, I over-eat to extremes and even when on a more traditional diet, if I have a blip, that turns into a major binge session.
Am looking forward to "managing" my weight once I get to the end of the programme.

You sound much more upbeat at the mo - have you got the voices under control ? :)

FYI - Last time I did Foundation, you did draw up a life timeline, marking significant events and aligning them to your weight...... can't remember what week tho

Have a good day

yoyo
x

Hey yo-yo, yes voices much more under control. I've had a rough day today, but not diet wise which is good. V. tired (non sleeping child), everything going wrong (broken mobile, problems with uni, DD1 to A&E - she's fine, just threw herself out of the car at the wrong angle), but strong on the diet. Which is nice for a change.

3 packs down - porridge at 11.30, cranberry bar at 3pm, porridge again at 5.40, and 2.5 litres down. No exercise to speak of but am planning on a long walk with dog tomorrow (no kids on Sat - probably the one bonus of being nearly-divorced).

Am also going to the pub tonight, but we're not eating and I'll have coffee. Should be fine. It's the one friend who is non-judgemental about LL, she doesn't know I've started again but I don't mind telling her.

How's your day going?

Hi,
Respect to you for staying so strong on LL when you have had so many things go wrong today - normally I would turn straight to food for comfort . So fair play mate for sticking with it :girlpower:

I've had a pretty good day - not at work today so that's a good start anyway ! I went to the gym for an hour, did a bit of grocery shopping & the usual housework. After I picked DD up from school we went round to my best mates for tea - my other best mate was there too. I hadn't told them I was doing LL again (just because I want to do it quietly really this time not because they will judge). We usually meet on a Friday and last week neither of them noticed when I turned down the pizza & didn't have a brew ;)
Long story short, i told them I was doing it again and they were pleased for me about my weight loss so far.

Just been taxiing DD to & from gymnastics & now sitting down with my peanut bar & yet another bottle of water to catch up with you guys !

Hope you have a great night tonight & enjoy your well- earned you time tomorrow

yoyo
xx

Respect to you for going to the gym. What do you do there now that you're on LL? Do you feel weak? I'm afraid to exercise at the moment incase it makes me hungry - I had such a rocky start this time. I think I'll leave it until after week 2 so I'm more established on the diet.

Well done for telling your mates too, and fair play to them for being non-judgemental. I only have one friend I trust enough not to be negative about this diet. I didn't tell her about the diet tonight though, simply because it didn't come up.

I have a lodger at home who is very large and very anti LL, so I've been hiding my foodpacks from her! I like her a lot as a person but she's very judgemental and lets you know it! She's on holiday for 2 weeks now so I have a bit more freedom at home.

I'm beginning to think - and I may be completely wrong about this - that I don't comfort eat as such. When things go wrong I tend to be busy and I don't necessarily turn to food (unless I've got a sugar low or need an energy boost). I tend to use food for things like:
- A boost when I'm tired, I used to use sugar for that ALOT
- Habit, it still feels strange sitting in front of the TV without food, LOL
- Reward, all the time, oh I'll treat myself to, or I really deserve to have, or I've got to do such and such so I'll have x while I do it
- Boredom
- Escapism. Maybe this one is a bit of comfort eating too, but I don't feel like I can switch off properly without eating.

I'm sure I'll find more reasons why I eat as we work through this programme!

Glad today went well for you, another day gone!

Finally in ketosis! yay pink stick!

Today's the day I've got to get my Uni stuff - shopping trip time. I need smart shoes, nice trousers, a handbag that'll fit a4 stuff, and some smart tops.

I'm also going to do a pratice run of the drive there and see how long it takes.

Hi DIR
I haven't been on for a few days, pop on today and find you have decided to stick with it, well done on that decision, it must have been a tough one, reading your posts you seem happier and more relaxed, so as you and others have said take a day at a time.
Mel :D

Hi,
Don't spend too much money on your clothes 'cos they'll be too big for you in a few weeks time :D
After sorting out my wardrobes earlier in the week, I am resisting the urge to go clothes shopping until I feel a lot a smaller - anyway I wouldn't be able to buy the things i really like and would just end up with another pair of black trousers or more baggy tops :eek:

Have been to gym again this morning - dd was having her tennis lesson so rather than sit and watch thought I'd get off my fat bum ;) i only do a hill routine on the treadmill - definitely no running, just at a brisk walking pace. So my gym workout is probably no different to someone walking the dog! I'm gonna start some toning type stuff next week i think

Happy shopping !

yoyo
xx

p.s. Nice to see you Mel x

Hi,
Don't spend too much money on your clothes 'cos they'll be too big for you in a few weeks time :D

I needed smart stuff for school placements, but I went to cheap places like Dorothy Perkins, and stuck to basics, because yes, I want them to be too big for me as soon as poss...

I haven't had smart clothes since before my children were born (always wear jeans now, unless I've got a meeting in London and then I have a panic hunt round for something that fits - usually a skirt with top button undone!!!)

I got grey trousers, black trousers, a couple of white shirts, a green cardigan and some other bits and bobs. I'm lucky it was so successful - sometimes you go shopping and just can't find anything.

I'm also really really really really really grateful to everyone on here for helping me stay on LL. Size 18s fitted nicely, but before I started they wouldn't have and I wouldn't have been able to shop on the highstreet.

Also surprisingly, I didn't feel tired or hungry once whilst shopping - I had a pack before I left at 10am, then a coffee and a bar at John Lewis cafe at 3pm, and then I was fine until I got home at 7.30pm. This really surprised me because last time I was on LL, I remember shopping and feeling drained and lethargic.

Actually, I have to say, each time I've been on LL, it's been completely different.

The first time I remember getting nauseous every morning if I didn't have a litre of water before getting out of bed. The second time that didn't happen. But both previous times I remember the famous ketosis energy just not happening, and I used to long for the next pack. I didn't understand people who could save two packs for the evening at all!

I think it helps that I'm not exercising this time - I exercise quite intensely (running and circuits generally) and I did the two previous times. I think it also helps that my kids are older, so sleeping better and occupying themselves more. Anyway, long may it last...

Hi there, thought i would share my experiences this weekend. I went into melt down yesterday....it was my birthday, and for some reason, I felt lonely, and so down that I cried for most of the day....for no reason????? Ended up puffy eyed, full of cold and just down right miserable. Totally irrational. Then the temptation to feed the feelings kicked in and it was a real fight not to eat. Today I feel sick and drained as if I am exhausted...again there is no reason for it. I was washing up earlier and the smell of the food on the plates made me nauseous. So to keep me occupied I am on minimins to get some inspiration, catch up with you lovelies and then hopefully this mood and feelings will go away. I think that I am feeling the things that I would normally feed, and forcing myself to do it can only be a good thing. There is no need for me to be miserable. I have a good job, a lovely and supporting partner, a healthy teenage son...so what is up with me?????

Thank you all for sharing your stories on here coz it helps to read them and takes my mind off what I am feeling....xx

....it was my birthday

Happy birthday for yesterday! Well done for resisting cake!

, and for some reason, I felt lonely, and so down that I cried for most of the day....for no reason????? Ended up puffy eyed, full of cold and just down right miserable. Totally irrational. Then the temptation to feed the feelings kicked in and it was a real fight not to eat.

awwwh [hugs]Well done for not eating. Sounds like you went on a bit of an emotional rollercoaster trip

...Today I feel sick and drained as if I am exhausted...again there is no reason for it. I was washing up earlier and the smell of the food on the plates made me nauseous. So to keep me occupied I am on minimins to get some inspiration, catch up with you lovelies and then hopefully this mood and feelings will go away.

we love you too, babe, and it's these boards that are keeping me sane

I think that I am feeling the things that I would normally feed, and forcing myself to do it can only be a good thing.

You haven't said what you're feeling yet, just that you were upset for no reason. There's always a reason - have you sat down and had a little explore? Your birthday's a big event. Was it connected? Its often a time when you recall the past?

There is no need for me to be miserable. I have a good job, a lovely and supporting partner, a healthy teenage son...so what is up with me?????
Just because you can count your blessings doesn't mean you have to be happy happy happy all the time. I'm doing okay in a lot of respects (fingers crossed) - career, children, financially (at the moment!), doesn't mean I don't get upset etc. You have the right to have emotions, but it's worth exploring why.

I really hope the day improves for you and tomorrow is much easier x
Thank you all for sharing your stories on here coz it helps to read them and takes my mind off what I am feeling....xx[/quote]

Hey ttl,
Happy Birthday for yesterday :birthday: ... sorry that your day was so poo - but well done for getting through it without eating. When you say "for no reason", I bet usually your birthday involves some sort of eating or drinking (most of mine do!) so maybe you felt deprived? You are lucky to have a great family and job but unless you are truly happy with yourself then it seems perfectly reaosnable to feel down once in a while.
Looking forward to your next birthday when you will be slim & happy in your body and still have that great job & family how much better you will feel then?

Here's a little something which might cheer you up .... I was out last night at a friends house with our girls and we were talking about diets ...as usual ;)... i was praising LL and my daughter (who never seems to listen to anything i say usually) chirps in "...and you don't even feel hungry " ... bless her :)

Ahh well back to the ironing ...

yoyo
xx

Hee hee. My daughters don't even appear to notice I'm not eating! It's so odd - I know they're only 3 & 5, but I used to sit down to tea with them every night. I still do, but now I have a soup in a cup, but they haven't commented at all. I guess I'm quite glad because I'd rather they didn't know.

Hi,
I would probably prefer it if she didn't know but, at almost 10, she doesn't miss a trick !
What I didn't say before was, after she'd said that about LL I felt I had to say ".... but as long as you eat a healthy diet and exercise then you never need to do this ..."
The guilt :( ..... I'm so conscious of not letting my eating habits rub off on her; I don't want her to think this is a "sensible " way to eat long term but at the same time seeing me fat and eating crap isn't sending any positive messages either!

I think she's just used to me being on a diet & takes it all in her stride - far more improtant things for her to think about ... Club penguin, the rabbit she's begging me to buy, TV .....
Just got my porridge pack out & she said "oooh Weight Watchers porridge ...." !
I guess when your 9 a diet is a diet is a diet .....:)

yoyo
xx

Back