Two years since I finished TFR

irish molly

Maintaing LT loss on GL
Wow!! I can't believe that it is now two years since I finished a six month stint on TFR. I started out at a whopping 294 pounds. I had just let myself go over a period of about ten years and the weight piled on. In my time on 100% TFR I lost 87 lbs in total.
I then decided to face the real world of food and also tackle the remainder of my target loss. After a lot of thought and research I decided to follow a Glycaemic Load (GL) plan and also keep an eye to total calorie content but not obsessing about it.
GL helped me bring about another loss of 29lbs bringing me to an overall loss of 116lbs over a total period of one year. Boy did it feel good to be back to my old self!!!

Since then I have been maintaining pretty well. Some weeks I lose a pound or two and others I stay the same and some others I will gain a couple of pounds. I, of course, have a gain if I decide to pig out a bit any week or for a few weeks!! It's all down to me to decide what goes in my mouth!! In the last two years both Christmas holidays have led to 9lb gains which I tackled through strict low gl foods for 4-6 weeks.

For me, maintaining is a matter of being aware of food but not being obsessive. I was never skinny so I just have to make sure that calories in are less than calories out, otherwise I get a gain.

Food is no longer the centre of my life. I eat to live not live to eat. This is the most important mindshift that any of us need to make to maintain losses.

Following these steps has helped me keep my weight in a 170-180lb range which I am happy with.

1-Portion sizes are very important. Keeping them small is key. It is too easy to eat bigger and bigger portions.

2-Watch the snacks. I weaken some days and have too many snacks, especially late in the evening. This can be a slippery slope so I need to be very careful.

3- Keep up the water intake. I find drinking up to two litres of water every day really helps. 80% of the time we feel hungry it is,in fact, water our bodies crave.

4-Eat more veg that grows above the ground than root veg.

5-Eat little or no wheat. Replace these with oat and rye products. Wheat and wheat products really bloat me and lead to weight gain.

6-Avoid as much as possible processed foods and “diet” products. I choose naturally low fat and healthy foods where possible.

7-Substitute beans of all sorts, lentils and quinoa for potato pasta and rice.

8-I'm no saint so I adopt an 80/20 rule. I will have treats once or twice a week but try to get back in control pretty quickly. Never let a bad day lead to a whole week of blow outs as it is then very hard to get back on track.

The most important thing to help us maintain losses is to change our attitude and relationship with food. I really feel this is key otherwise we will remain on the yo yo rollercoaster of gaining weight and going on yet another diet. I did that until two years ago and I am happy that my relationship with food has now changed. Unfortunately, I am one of these people that only has to look at food to gain weight!!! so I just have to be watchful in order to maintain my losses. For me, GL has been such an easy way to do this. I love it as I don't think about food at all now.
Let's keep fighting the flab. We can do it!!​

Wow well done you! Thanks for posting your tips :) I'm only on day 9 of trf so I have a long way to go but it's so good to hear success stories :-D

Congrats again and I wish you continued success

Congratulations and well done irish molly as you are an inspiration to all of us and you have shown what can be achieved:happy096:

Excellent post!

Mini... :D INVALUABLE feedback !! I`m personally very appreciative of this and will be saving what you`ve written if ok for my own personal referance?
I say this because I am thinking of low GL as a plan for life after TFR... so thank~you! Lou xx

Wow, you are doing great loulou on your own journey. I bet you feel great as the stones melt away.

I am feeling GREAT ty Irishmolly.... and I do apologise, I meant to put your name on my post NOT mini lol...... having a slight senior moment there.... think it might have something to do with turning 45 tomorrow :eek: PLUS being sleep deprived taking care of my poorly little girl (ear infection!).... anyhooo of to bed for me now... thanks again for brilliant feedback as maintaining is DEFINATELY THE hardest part of losing weight and keeping it off!! Tc hun.... and night night Lipotrimmers new and old!! :p L xxxx

Great post Molly. I admire the way you really do seem to have it 'cracked' :) Well done you! xx

great post, i am also hoping to do the GL plan for life after i have lost the weight on Lipotrim - i know what you have said is so right, any advice on portion controll? -I am having a little break, and have confused myself a little... i have been reading lots about the GL diet, and tried to do that instead of the maintaince program.. silly me.... and i also didnt stick very well to the GL - in some ways i am looking forward to getting back on Lipotrim after Easter so i can feel in controll again, as i soon feel out of controll... food seems to open up a flood gate in my head and common sense goes a little out of the window... so thank you for your advice again, i will meditate on letting go of food and all its attachments, to help me plan better... cheers...

I keep hearing about this GL - what exactly is it?

Also portion control is the BIG thing for me. I don't really eat junk, I only buy cake, biscuits and crisps for birthday's and Christmas... But I eat BIG... And I think I fry too much too. :s

Good luck hon in getting to your goal. It's never easy finding a plan that suits. No matter which one you follow , portions are important. At the end of the day cals in need to be less than or equal to cals out.
75 to 100g is fine for a protein portion. But, it looks tiny! On GL your plate should have 1/4 protein, 1/4 starchy carbs such as brown rice or pasta etc., 1/2 veg that grows above the ground or salad.
Nigel Denby recommends the palm of your hand as a measure for portion sizes. It helps you visualise it better. We definitely tend to overestimate portions no matter what plan we follow. Anytime I'm gaining a little it's often because I'm letting portions get too big rather than eating the wrong foods!
Check out some of the diaries on the Gi section of the forum. You'll find it under "other diet options"
When you get to maintenance you'll get plenty of advice from other Gi ers. Good luck with your restart after Easter.

Thank you so much for posting, Molly. I second the others' thanks. It's really good to learn how you've been successful staying maintaining. Much appreciated.

Well done on your own journey so far. It really is worth the effort tiger fit and healthy again. You will soon be at goal. Think long and hard about how you plan to maintain your losses. Maintenance can be successful with a little planning and mindfulness .
Good luck.

Great thread! I have 2 months to go before i'm done, and hearing that maintenance is doable is great motivation!!! Well done on your loss xo

bettyboop06 said:
Great thread! I have 2 months to go before i'm done, and hearing that maintenance is doable is great motivation!!! Well done on your loss xo

Thanks. Just do lots of research and planning about how you will maintain. It does not have to be obsessive and you don't have to feel that you are on a forever diet! Portion control is most important!! We really do not need big platefuls of food. Keep up the water habit you learn on TFR. I have found this most helpful.
Good luck with the rest of your journey!

thanks for the advice :) i want to lose the remaining 1 1/2 to 2 stone slowly, but im trying to figure out how i will do that, because i want to be able to drink aswell. I'm a student so drinking is quite a big part of my social life :D sad i know!

bettyboop06 said:
thanks for the advice :) i want to lose the remaining 1 1/2 to 2 stone slowly, but im trying to figure out how i will do that, because i want to be able to drink aswell. I'm a student so drinking is quite a big part of my social life :D sad i know!

For sure, alcohol will make it a bit harder to maintain but it is not impossible. Certainly you will have to consume less alcohol if you don't want to struggle at maintaining. Up your exercise and watch portion sizes and you should be able to enjoy your drinks. You'll soon find a balance to suit your lifestyle.

im going to a dietician in a couple of weeks so that she can help me organise a balanced lifestyle :) luckily i usually only drink vodka and diet coke so ill be keeping the calories to a minimum :) how are you finding eating socially and do you get to treat yourself often?

The dietician should be a great help to you.
I have no problems with eating or drinking socially. Partly, I've changed my mindset and realise I don't have to stuff my face or drink enough to float a boat which is what I often did!!!
Now, If I know I have an event coming up I just try and put in a good day or two either before or after it.
For example, I knew Easter would involve food, chocolate and drink. Yes, I gained almost three pounds in a week but I got straight back on track last Monday and I've already lost the gain plus another pound!!!!
It is possible to make sensible choices when out. Eat the protein and leafy veg or salad first, leaving the starchier carbs till last. This way, you may leave some of them on the plate. White wine spritzers or a spirit and diet soda help minimise the damage too.
I believe life has to be about balance. I allow for an 80/20 lifestyle being good for 80% of the time and allowing a little slack.

thanks so much youre such a great help! No wonder you kept the weight off for two years hah! how did you lose the 3 pounds so quickly?

Back