What am I doing wrong this time round ?

niccinoo37

I know there are probably lots of people that ask themselves this question when things don't go their way, but I really am stuck and would appreciate some advice.
I'm in no way new to SW, following on and off for over 4 years with an overall loss of 4.5 st. Cut a long story short, I came off for a few months to find I had gained almost 2st! (That's a lot of weight in such a small amount of time, but I hold my hands up that holidays, birthday celebrations including *a lot* of cake and generally giving into temptations lead me to this point!)

Anyway this time round I am determined to lose that 2st plus an extra 1 to get to target.
So iv been back on track for 6 weeks now and lost a total of 1lb? I know, I know, something is better than nothing, but before when following, I had occasional Saturdays off plan, drank more alcohol on weekends, hardly any exercise etc. This time all I'm doing differently is eating more fruit, doing 1 exercise class a week, drinking more water...all things that I thought would help, not hinder, my weight loss! I'm feeling pretty down and wondering what could have changed or what I'm doing wrong. Any of u lovely people have any ideas?

Food diarys are similar to the last 4 years of following, except extra fruit for snacks and even healthier lunches and dinners to include more speed and superfree. I always use my Hex's, 8-10syns per day, so much water I couldn't possibly drink more, so why oh why is SW not working for me this time?
Thanks so much in advance for any replies. x

Last edited:
have you had your thyroid check hun.... any hair loss... fatigue... could be, certainly worth having it check out... hope you find out what it causing the problem.... oh.. or it could be a medication you are taking - is there anything like that

Do you go to a group? If so give your food diaries to your consultant and they will be able to point out where something's not quite right.
Do you weigh all your HEs? And check syns for everything etc?

Thanks for replies guys. Firstly princess, no I havnt had a thyroid check, can this change at any time that could of meant it was fine before but maybe not now? I don't have any hair loss, fatigue as u mentioned so hopefully not this but I will look into it. Also no medication so definitely not that.

Stebbsy, no I don't go to group, iv always done it from home. As I say my food diarys are very similar to the past 4 years of it working great, keep track of Hex's and syns etc hence I am really at a loss! Could the extra fruit, exercise, water be causing it? Although that sounds crazy to me! x

If I was was drinking so much water that I couldn't possibly drink any more, I'd be expecting to pee like one of my horses, through the day and night. Once I'm in the groove of SW I find that I'm often up in the night to go. If you are exercising, eating carbs and drinking water then cells in muscles will absorb the water readily. It's not a bad thing.

extra fruit, how much ?
How much alcohol do you drink over a week? That's not helped my cause recently, too many celebrations, parties, leaving dos etc, week in week out...

You might not be getting a defecit as quickly as you were before, having already lost 4st ( and regained 2?) metabolism could have slowed up over 4 years?

Are you up to speed with current hex a and b choices and syn values?

You could post your food diary, perhaps some photos of your meals, plenty of help available on here.

I feel your frustration and really hope you find out what's holding you back from your expected losses.

hi x I did 1 month on SW - including an EESP week - in total, I gained 12 lbs . I was simply eating so much food - am a bit disappointed with SW if i'm honest. Nowhere does it say watch your portions/calories etc - it largely promotes itself as no need to count or weigh n measure. Penny started to drop when i saw the SW chips recipe (they are yummm) and for 4 people it was 900g of potato. Spuds are on the free list - nowhere does it say 200ish grams is a reasonable 1 person serving. God knows how many calories I was eating each day and had woeful troubles with heaps of veg and fruit causing wind, toilet troubles etc. I had to give it up and moved to counting calories at 1000 a day. Its not a miracle but I have lost 6lbs in a week. I do have mad hunger urges and think its because I eat little during the day. When I stage my protein throughout the day I do better. I might try the 5:2 diet as I can do 500 for two consec days no probs and even if I do 1200 or more on the other 5 days i'm still ok for my calories. Not rubbishing SW at all - so many people have done brilliantly and the syns list made me pay attention to those things which need to be tightly managed. But I cannot be let loose on a free foods list. I just go mad :0 Hey ho. You might want to calculate your calories position - try n see what you intake on a standard day? use the internet to point you to a site which will calculate easily for you - enter height current weight age n gender n they tell you what you need to maintain current weight n what to intake to lose gently. I was shocked that at 10 st 12 as I was, I need 1000 max to lose. A SW 'legal' breakfast/lunch for me was 2 eggs , beans, bacon and toms n mushrooms with one HB toast. Salad fruit n veg all have calories and that SW breakfast/brunch racked up @ 600 cals :( Anyways, good luck xxxx

Thanks for replies guys. Firstly princess, no I havnt had a thyroid check, can this change at any time that could of meant it was fine before but maybe not now? I don't have any hair loss, fatigue as u mentioned so hopefully not this but I will look into it. Also no medication so definitely not that.
Glad you don't have hair loss and fatigue.... they are a royal pain in the bum :D
I would definitely log your food on here.... there are some real SW superstars who will help you spot the problem I'm sure x

Back