Why Are Thin People Not Fat?

This is an AMAZING thread. Thank you KD, Mini-Me and all others but Katy in particular for initiating the discussion!

I'm still at the start of the journey (4th week of CD) but I am desperate to make sure I set this in stone in my psychic, the length of the battle from now on, the permanent changes, essentially all that has to give :) I typically only accept something after copious amounts of research and it only becomes ingrained after lengthy sessions of reading and debating it so these threads can only help.

One of the goals I've had before I started CD was that I prepare myself mentally for a new life. This to me, involved learning all there is to learn about nutrition and human physiology in all things nutrition connected from metabolic processes to hormonal signals and their translation into weight gain. So I've started a small list of things I need to read on such as Hormones, Aliments, Nutrition information, Exercise information, etc. Eventually I'd like it if I attended a dietist's education or at least a nutrition course but before that (or in the absence of that as my busy professional life may not permit) I need to try and assimilate info on my own. So as you may imagine, with this obsessive compulsive of nature I am grateful to discover others are built the same.

In fact I would have presumed all people capable of drastic weight loss are poised to go the distance and educate themselves but then I came to discover that is wrong. Both my DH and my mother are on the Cambridge and I get to witness very different attitudes to dieting and food in general daily. From postponing their cravings -which seems disastrous to me- to bargaining -the mechanism of grief at its purest form- and to essentially both being keen on the idea of a formula once they have to maintain. In short they hope they will know "what works, what I should eat, a sample menu or two". It's that mentality I am trying to avoid by wanting to learn the ins and outs because it's pure self sabotage, IMO, to presume a formula works when maintaining. Would it be easier if it did and we wouldn't have to educate ourselves at the same time that we exercise our will power? Sure! Is there any point in wishing we could have it easy? In envying the ones who are thinner? About as much point as in wishing we were taller or that our heads were square but the only difference is this we can do something about!

All in all, to me, the best warranty I can issue to myself together with shedding the weight is to educate myself to the point that healthy and balanced eating and exercising will be as clear and ingrained of concepts as the multiplication table!

it talked about thin children turning into thin adults (er, no... how come we have an obesity epidemic then? We can't ALL have been overweight kids!)

I think the statement is correct. It seems plausible for people to have a biological disposition to be slimmer, but become obese when they're older, when you take the social factors into account. As children, most 30+ adults will probably have eaten healthier diets then today's children do and will also have been more active. It makes sense that, as society turned its collective back on eating good, homemade food and opted for the now widely available quick, convenient and high-quantity foods, many adults who were slimmer children would get fat - unless they're the lucky ones who can either resist overindulgance, or who, like the oriental guy in the show, just stay slim because they gain muscle instead.

Kids with porkers for parents will simply learn their parents' patterns of eating and eat the things that their parents eat (just as they learn other norms and values from them), exactly as I did until teaching myself better. So I think that the only long-term solution to obesity is to look towards the next generation of children, and get rid of all the convenient, easy, plentiful foods that have emerged over the past few decades. Teach our kids to eat better than we do.

I took notes on the documentary which you can see in this thread http://www.minimins.com/movies-music-tv/76975-bbc-horizon-why-thin-people-not-fat.html and there is a link to the iPlayer there if you want to watch again.

Hrmmn.. interesting thread... I only hope I can maintain despite my body's perhaps predisposition to overeat :S

Thanks Vicky for bumping... had forgotten I'd ever started this thread, but it is exactly what I need to read now... a year on. Have been having such a struggle to maintain lately - perhaps my own setpoint calling me, very loudly!
This thread and all the wise words from KD and many others on here have brought me up short and made me think hard about what I have been doing. I will not let this slide... I cannot.
A piece of the past, just when I need it the most!

xxx

LOL Can't believe it was a year ago this thread was started, I thought it was started a few weeks ago!!

It is a fascinating thread...

Lynne
x

Back