A Catalogue of Indian Recipes (Bhuna, Jalfrezi, Balti, Madras, Korma and many more)

19) Lamb Bhuna

(19) Lamb Bhuna.jpg (click on pic to enlarge)

Serves 4

Syn Free on Red and EE

Ingredients

500g lamb (can use mutton also)
1 green bell pepper diced
Fresh coriander chopped
1 tsp coriander powder
Pinch of garam masala
1 tsp ginger garlic paste
1 green chilli de-seeded and diced
1 tsp fenugreek leaves
1 tbsp ex v olive oil (HE b choice)
1 onion sliced
1 tsp red chilli powder
1 tsp salt (to taste)
pinch of turmeric
½ cup of water

Method

In a saucepan heat the olive oil, add the onions and salt, cook until onions brown. Now add turmeric, green chilli, and ginger garlic paste, mix well. Now add the lamb and red chilli powder, coriander powder and mix well. Add ½ cup of water. Cook until lamb is half cooked. Now add the fenugreek leaves, diced bell pepper and cook until the water has dried out , keep mixing till it is dry. Turn off the heat once the lamb is cooked. Garnish with a pinch of garam masala and fresh coriander. Your Lamb Bhuna is ready !

Enjoy !! :)

Last edited:
20) Bombay Potatoes

The original recipe for Bombay Potatoes uses butter which I have substituted for Flora Lighter than Light spread which is 1.5 syns per tbsp. I use this a lot in my cooking, it's a life saver! It gives the same rich taste but much lower on syns ! :)

(20) Bombay Potatoes.jpg (click on pic to enlarge)

Serves 4

1 Syn per serving on Green and EE

Ingredients

750g New Potatoes
1 tbsp ex v olive oil (hexb)
2 level tbsp Flora Lighter than Light Spread (3 syns)
1 tsp cumin seeds
1 green chilli de-seeded and diced
10 curry leaves
1 tsp crushed garlic
½ tsp salt(to taste)
¼ tsp curry powder
¼ tsp tumeric powder

¼ tsp asafoetida – also known as hing (optional)
¼ cup of water
fresh coriander leaves to garnish

Method

Boil the potatoes and set aside. In a non stick frying pan, on low medium heat add 1 tbsp olive oil, add 2 tbsp flora spread, 1 tsp cumin seeds, green chilli, curry leaves, garlic, stir gently and fry for 2-3 minutes (make sure the heat is at the right temperature, you do not want to burn the ingredients). Now add salt, curry powder,tumeric, asafoetida, stir together. Now add your potatoes to the pan, coat all the potatoes in the herbs and spices, add ¼ cup of water increase heat to medium. Stir fry for another 2-4 minutes, allowing the sauce to coat the potatoes and the potatoes to turn a nice golden brown colour. If you like your potatoes more crispy, cut them in half with a knife in the pan and fry in the sauce for a further 1-2 minutes. Keep stirring all the time. Season with salt to taste. Turn off the heat. Garnish with some fresh coriander leaves. Your Bombay Potatoes are ready to eat !

Last edited:
21) Chicken Madras

(21) Chicken Madras.jpg (click on pic to enlarge)

Serves 4

Syn Free on Red and EE (Green using Quorn chicken style pieces)

Ingredients

4 chicken breasts cubed
1 large onion finely chopped
1 x 400g tin chopped plum tomatoes
5 tbsp tomato paste
4 dried red chillies chopped
salt to taste
1 tsp turmeric powder
1 tsp red chilli powder
½ tsp ground black pepper
¼ cup of water
150ml of water
1 tsp cumin seeds
1 tsp fenugreek seeds (not leaves)
2 green cardamoms (split open)
Juice of 1 lime
2 tsp garam masala
6-7 dry curry leaves
frylight

Method

Heat the oil in a pan, add the chicken and fry for 5 minutes to seal it on low medium heat. Once the chicken is nicely brown, remove it from the pan in a separate dish and set aside. Now spray the pan with frylight, add the onions, ¼ tsp salt, cumin seeds, fenugreek seeds and fry for about 5 minutes until the onions are golden brown. Now add the chopped dried red chillies, turmeric, chilli and black pepper powder, and the split cardamoms, ¼ cup of water and stir fry on low heat for 5 minutes until water dries. Now add the tomato paste and the tin tomatoes, mix well, increase the heat to medium and bring to the boil, then reduce heat and let the sauce simmer gently for 10 minutes (with the lid off). After 10 minutes, add 150ml of water and add in the chicken, stir well, now cover and simmer for 10 minutes with the lid on. Now add in the lime juice, curry leaves and garam masala, salt to taste, mix well and leave to simmer uncovered for another 10 minutes. Now turn off the heat and give it one last stir. Garnish with fresh coriander. Your Chicken Madras is ready to eat !

Last edited:
22) Balti
(22) Balti.jpg (click on pic to enlarge)

Serves 4-6

Syn Free on Red and EE

Ingredients

1kg Beef cut into large cube size pieces
1 400g tin of chopped plum tomatoes
2 large onions finely chopped
2 tbsp crushed garlic
1 inch cube of ginger finely cut into thin strips
3-4 green chillies (whole)
1 tsp red chilli flakes
1 tsp turmeric powder
1 tsp curry powder
1 tsp ground black pepper
3 cups of water
Frylight
3-4 black peppercorns
½ tsp corriander seeds
½ tsp fennel seeds
3-4 bayleaves
1 medium cinnamon stick
juice of 1 lemon
2 stalks of spring onion finely chopped
½ green bell pepper finely chopped
fresh coriander to garnish

Method

Wash and then cut your beef into cube size pieces. In a large saucepan, add the beef, onions, garlic, ginger,chillies and tinned tomatoes. Now add 1 tsp salt, 1 tsp red chilli powder, 1tsp red chilli flakes, turmeric powder, curry powder, black pepper powder, 3 cups of water and stir. Now cover the lid and on medium heat (not too high) allow to boil for 2 hours. During the 2 hours keep checking in between and stirring, so the masala does not stick to the bottom of the pan. After 2 hours, once the beef is done boiling turn off the heat.

For the second stage of this dish you will need a Karahi or Balti Pan which is like an Indian Wok or you can use a normal wok. If you don’t have a wok, you can use a frying pan, but you may have to work in 2 batches depending on the size of your pan.

In the wok heat the olive oil on medium heat. For this process extra oil may be needed to avoid the curry sticking to the wok, so keep your frylight handy. Add the blackpeppercorns, corriander seeds, fennel seeds, bay leaves and cinnamon stick and stir. Now gently add all of the beef . Stir fry the beef for 3 minutes, spray some frylight also if the mixture starts to stick. Now add the lemon juice. Keep stir frying for a few minutes until all the water dries up and the beef is coated in a nice thick rich sauce. Now add your finely chopped spring onions and bell pepper, mix well. Turn off the heat. Garnish with fresh coriander and serve. Your Balti is ready to eat !

Last edited:
23) Rogan Josh

Some curries are richer in flavour and require a little butter. For this I have substituted with Flora Lighter than Light spread which is 1.5 syns per tbsp. I use this a lot in my cooking, it's a life saver! It gives the same rich taste but much lower on syns ! :)

(23) Rogan Josh.jpg (click on pic to enlarge)

Serves 4-6

1/2 syn per serving on Red and EE

Ingredients

1 kg mutton cut into cube size pieces
2 tbsp Flora Lighter than Light Spread (3 syns)
2 small sticks of cinnamon
5-6 cloves
2 black cardamoms
2 bay leaves
2 dried red chillies (whole)
1 large onion sliced
1 tbsp garlic paste
1 tbsp ginger paste
1 ½ cups ofwater
1 tsp salt(to taste)
2 tbsp of Kashmiri red chilli powder (mixed in 2 tbsp of water to form paste)
½ tsp fennel powder
½ tsp ginger powder
½ cup whipped fat free yogurt

Method

Wash and then cut the mutton into cube size pieces and set aside. Heat the olive oil and 2 tbsp of the flora lighter than lightspread in a saucepan. Add the cinnamon sticks, cloves, black cardamoms, whole dried red chillies and bay leaves and stir. Now add the sliced onions, ¼ tsp salt. Fry the onions until they turn golden brown. Now add the ginger and garlic paste, stir and mix. Now add the mutton , stir. Braise the mutton for about 2-3 minutes, until its evenly coloured . Now add 1 ½ cups of water, enough to cook the mutton, add ¾ tsp salt, give everything a gentle stir. Now cover and cook for about 20-25 minutes, stirring in between. Now the mutton should be almost cooked we will add some more spices. Add the Kashmiri red chilli paste, fennel powder, ginger powder, mix everything well. Now add in the whipped yogurt and stir. Keep the lid open and cook for another 10 minutes until the gravy is nice and thick. Turn off the heat. Your Rogan Josh is ready to eat !

Last edited:
24) Vindaloo

This recipe can be made with pork using the exact same method. If you chose to make it with chicken, then remember that chicken cooks very quickly so cook the sauce separately , once the sauce is cooked then add the chicken to simmer at the end until it has cooked through).

(24) Vindaloo.jpg (click on pic to enlarge)

Serves 4

Syn Free on Red and EE

Ingredients

1 kg lamb cut into cube size pieces
3-4 dried red chillies (whole)
1 cinnamon stick
4-5 cloves
2 green cardamoms
½ tsp cumin seeds
½ tsp mustard seeds
4-5 whole black peppercorns
6 cloves of garlic
1 inch piece of ginger
3 tbsp white wine vinegar
½ tsp sugar(add syns)
4 tbsp of KoKo Dairy Free Coconut Milk (HE a choice)
1 tsp salt(to taste)
½ tsp meat tenderiser
1 onion finely chopped
1 cup of water
fresh coriander to garnish

Method

Preparation

Wash and then cut the lamb into cube size pieces and set aside. Now in a small bowl add the red chillies, cinnamon stick, cloves, green cardamoms, cumin seeds, mustard seeds, black peppercorns, cloves ofgarlic, ginger and 3 tbsp of white wine vinegar, ½ tsp sugar, 4 tbsp KoKo dairyfree coconut milk. Soak all this ingredients for 30 minutes. Now put the mixture in a blender to make a fine paste and then set aside. Now sprinkle the lamb with 1 tsp salt and ½ tsp of meat tenderiser . Now leave the meat for 1 hour in the fridge.

After 1 hour, now add the paste from the blender to the meat. Coat thoroughly . Now let the meat rest for another 4 hours in the sauce and place in the fridge. After 4 hours, when all the juices are absorbed by the meat, then the vindaloo will be ready to be cooked.

Cooking

In a saucepan, heat 1 tbsp extra virgin olive oil, now add the meat to the pan (without the sauce , keep the sauce for later) sauté the meat on medium flame for around 5 minutes. Now add 1 onion finely chopped and stir well, now add the remaining sauce. Now cover the lid and cook on low medium heat for 45 minutes, keep checking every 15 minutes and stir in between. After 30minutes add 1 cup of water and stir. Cover and continue cooking for the remainder of the 15 minutes until the meat is nice and tender. After 45 minutes of cooking time, stir and mix well. Turn off the heat. Garnish with fresh coriander. Your spicy Vindaloo Curry is ready !

Serve with steamed Basmati Rice and Raita.

Last edited:
Great thread - subscribing so I can dip in regulary
cheers

Great thread - subscribing so I can dip in regulary
cheers

Your welcome, glad your loving the recipes, will be adding more soon.

Kay xx

Thanks for this, brilliant

Thanks, I have cooked Indian food all my life for friends and family, am happy to share them with you all. If you have any requests please let me know, I will do my best to add them.

Kay xx

Will certainly be trying some of these!

Will certainly be trying some of these!

Hey, glad ur liking them :), I have been making lots of them this week as have been entertaining guests, but I still managed to lose 5lbs this week and that's without making syn free curries lol. I do add a little oil in all my curries, it helps to cook the spices and doesn't leave the food tasting raw. 1 tbsp of olive oil ( as a HE b choice) is the most I use in all my curries but it goes a long way when it comes to taste and flavour ! I am posting up some more very soon. Let me know if you have any particular requests, will do my best to post them .

Kay xx

25) Lamb Chops

(25) Lamb Chops.jpg (click on pic to enlarge)

Serves 4

1 syn per serving on Red and EE

Ingredients

10 lamb chops
1 tbsp ginger garlic paste
½ tsp red chilli powder
½ tsp black pepper powder
2 tbsp fat free yogurt
1 tsp salt(to taste)
1 ½ tbsp vinegar
½ tsp sweetner
1 tbsp coriander powder
½ lime juice
handful fresh coriander chopped
1 level tbsp plain flour (3.5 syns )
1 tbsp ex volive oil (HE b choice)

Method

In a bowl mix all the ingredients together to make the marination for the chops. Once the mixture is ready coat all the lamb chops in the marinade and leave in the fridge for 20 minutes. After 20 minutes, in a non stick pan heat the olive oil on medium flame, gently add the chops to the pan. Cook for 5 minutes and then turn the sides and cover with lid and cook for another 10 minutes. Now you can open the lid and check, the sauce would have dried up and the chops should be nice and brown and cooked. Turn off the flame. Your Lamb Chops are ready to eat !

Serve with mint Raita

Last edited:
26) Spicy Prawns

(26) Spicy Prawns.jpg (click on pic to enlarge)

Serves 4

Syn Free on Red and EE

Ingredients

900g uncooked prawns
1 ½ tbsp. unsweetened shredded coconut (3 syns)
1 ½ tbsp coriander powder
1 tsp cumin seeds
2 tbsp fat free yogurt
3-4 curry leaves chopped
2 green chillies de-seeded and chopped
1 tsp mustard seeds
1 tsp salt(to taste)
½ cup onion finely chopped
½ tsp black pepper powder
½ tsp red chilli powder
2-3 dried red chillies (whole)
¼ tsp turmeric powder
fresh coriander leaves
½ lime juice

Method

In a nonstick pan heat the olive oil. Now add the whole red chillies, mustard seeds and stir till they crackle. Add the cumin seeds, chopped onion and coconut powder and sauté well. (Do not over fry the onions, just until they are translucent). Add the green chillies, salt, curry leaves and sauté well on medium flame. Now add the ginger garlic paste, turmeric powder and yogurt, red chilli powder and mix well and cook until the mixture dries (strain any excess water if necessary). Now add the prawns to the prepared masala. Mix well and cook slowly until the water from the prawns has oozed out and the mixture has dried and the prawns are coated and cooked. Now sprinkle the black pepper powder on top. Turn off the heat. Garnish with chopped coriander leaves and a squeeze of lime juice. Your Spicy Prawns are ready to eat !

Last edited:
27) Egg Masala

(27) Egg Masala.jpg (click on pic to enlarge)

Serves 4

1 Syn per serving on all plans.

Ingredients

1 tsp red chilli powder
2 green chopped chillies (deseeded)
3 medium onions finely chopped
1 tbsp coriander powder
1 tsp cumin seeds
1 tsp cumin powder
3-4 curry leaves
10 eggs boiled
1 tsp fenugreek seeds (not leaves)
1 tsp mustard seeds
1 tbsp ex volive oil (HE b choice)
1 tsp salt(to taste)
3 tbsp tamarind sauce (3 syns)
¼ tsp turmeric powder
2 cups of water

Method

Boil the eggs and set aside. Heat olive oil in a pan, add the mustard seeds, fenugreek seeds, cumin seeds and onions, curry leaves, green chillies and fry until onions are golden brown. Now add the ginger garlic paste, chilli powder, turmeric powder, cumin powder, coriander powder, mix well and sauté for a few seconds. Now add the tamarind sauce and 2 cups of water and bring to boil. Now add the salt and sugar, reduce the heat and let it simmer for 10 minutes. Now add the boiled eggs and let it cook on slow flame in the gravy. Turn off the heat. Garnish with fresh coriander. Your Egg Masala is ready to eat !

Serve with steamed Basmati Rice.

Last edited:
28) Biryani
(28) Biryani.jpg (click on pic to enlarge)

Serves 6-8

1/2 Syn per serving on EE and (Green using Quorn chicken style pieces)

Ingredients

1kg of mutton or chicken cubed
1kg Basmati Rice (soak in water for 30 mins)
150g Fat Free Yogurt
3-4 tsp salt(according to taste)
1 medium onion sliced
6 garlic cloves crushed
2 cups of water
1 tbsp ginger paste
12 green cardamoms
1 ½ tbsp garlic paste
12 cloves
2 tbsp FloraLighter than Light spread (3 syns)
2-3 tbsp kewra
½ tsp yellow food colour
1 tsp sweetner
1 pinch of saffron (mixed in 2 tbsp of water)
½ tbsp. lemon juice

Method

Wash the meat and cut into cubes. In a large sauce pan add the mutton salt and crushed garlic and 2 cups of water. If you are using chicken you can use 1 cup of water. Cook on low flame till the meat is tender and the water dries. In a non stick pan heat the olive oil and add the flora lighter than light spread, now add 1 medium onion sliced, add a pinch of salt and fry until golden brown. Now add the rest of the spices and fry for a few more minutes. Now add the onion mixture to the meat.

Soak the rice in water for 30 minutes before boiling . 1 kg of rice is approx 4 cups of dry rice. Rice normally takes 2 cups of water to 1 cup of rice, so for 4 cups of rice you would need 8 cups of water, but I always prefer to add a bit less because water can always be topped up later, but if you put too much water in the beginning than the rice can end up sticking together so use 7 cups of water for 1 kg of rice

Now boil the rice along with 1 tbsp of salt and ½ tbsp lemon juice until its ¾ cooked. Once the rice is boiled, drain the water and keep aside. Transfer a little rice to a pot and on top of that add some of the meat masala combo so as to make layers of rice and masala keeping the rice layers both at the bottom and top. When you have finished the layers, sprinkle some kewra on top , yellow food colour, 1 tsp sweetner and saffron soaked in a tbsp of water. Keep the pot covered on a low flame for about 10 minutes , keeping the lid tightly closed to steam cook. When the rice is done your Biryani is ready to eat !

Serve with Salad and Raita.

Last edited:
Hi. I've just looked at the biryani recipe and you use " Kewra". What is this? I'd like to make this at the weekend but I've never heard of this. Thanks

Hi. I've just looked at the biryani recipe and you use " Kewra". What is this? I'd like to make this at the weekend but I've never heard of this. Thanks

Hi, kewra water is an essence / flavouring used often in Biryani's. It gives it that wonderful aroma. You can purchase it from any supermarket in the `world food' section or from an Indian cash and carry. Please let me know if you have any other questions. I'm sure your Biryani will turn out lovely. Keep in mind the quantities in this recipe serves 6-8 people, so make sure you use a large pot. Would love to see the pics once it done :) .

Kay xx

Back