A Catalogue of Indian Recipes (Bhuna, Jalfrezi, Balti, Madras, Korma and many more)

Lots of Indian threads on here lately! Loving them though :) not had chance to make any yet but I will x

Thanks for that.. I have an Asian supermarket that sells everything so I'm sure I could get Kewra there. I will definitely let you know how I get on - I've made biryani before but even tho they say authentic it never quite manages it so I'm hoping this will be 'the one'!

Hi Kay003,

Here's my attempt at the Kofta Biryani. I had to make a few adjustments, as some one of my spices i.e garam masala and saffron was rather out of date! I also didn't have any yellow food colouring. I used half the amount of rice, as there are only 2 of us in the household. I also didn't add bread to the meatballs, and they managed to keep their shape whilst cooking.

I added 2 tbsp or half a packet of 'shan' biryani spice mix (see photo) to spice up the biryani, and I can say it was a big success.

I wasn't sure if the yoghurt was for a Raita, but we needed it after the Biryani :D

I will defiantly be trying more of your recipes, so thanks again for sharing.

SB

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    907.8 KB · Views: 699
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    449.4 KB · Views: 616
Hi Kay003,

Here's my attempt at the Kofta Biryani. I had to make a few adjustments, as some one of my spices i.e garam masala and saffron was rather out of date! I also didn't have any yellow food colouring. I used half the amount of rice, as there are only 2 of us in the household. I also didn't add bread to the meatballs, and they managed to keep their shape whilst cooking.

I added 2 tbsp or half a packet of 'shan' biryani spice mix (see photo) to spice up the biryani, and I can say it was a big success.

I wasn't sure if the yoghurt was for a Raita, but we needed it after the Biryani :D

I will defiantly be trying more of your recipes, so thanks again for sharing.

SB

Wow that's amazing ! Looks better than mine ! Shan spices are great, especially when you are in a hurry and do not have all the spices at hand. They have most of the important spices such as garam masala, cumin that are needed in most curries. I am glad you played around and halved the quantities for 2. My family is large so most of my recipes serve 4-6, but as you've said you can still make them and half the quantities :) . Glad the meatballs stayed in shape without the bread (less syns the better). The food colour is also optional, other garnish such as fresh coriander still makes it look amazing. The yogurt is for the biryani, it will give the sauce a richer taste, but there is the option to have Raita with the Biryani so you did just fine ! Hope you enjoy the others I have posted up. I think I have the most popular ones up (Vindaloo, Madras, Bhuna, Jalfrezi, Korma) which ever one takes your fancy, would love to see more pics. Let me know if there are any more recipes you would like to see added. Fab Job ! :D

Kay xx

Last edited:
Lots of Indian threads on here lately! Loving them though :) not had chance to make any yet but I will x

Hey, glad your liking them. I have tried to add veg and non veg curries that I make at home for my family. If you have any special requests let me know and I will do my best to post them up.

Kay xx

Thank you for posting these lovely recipes.

Thank you for posting these lovely recipes.

Your most welcome, glad your liking them. Let me know if you would like to see any others :) .

Kay xx

29) Spicy Okra

(Bhindi)
(29) Bhindi.jpg (click on pic to enlarge)

Serves 4

1/2 Syn per serving all plans.

Ingredients

2 cups of Okra (Bhindi)
1 small onion chopped
½ tsp cumin seeds
3-4 dried whole red chillies
½ tsp salt(to taste)
¼ tsp turmeric
1 tbsp ex v olive oil (HE b choice)
1 tbsp tamarind sauce (add 1 syn)
1 tomato chopped

Method

In a pan heat the olive oil, add the chopped onion and sauté until golden brown. Now add the cumin seeds, salt , turmeric, okra and red chillies, tomato, tamarind sauce. Cover and cook on low heat until soft. Do not add water. (Don’t stir too much or the okra will break up). Finally stir to check if it’s done (when the sticky texture disappears it’s done). Your spicy okra is ready to eat ! Garnish with fresh corriander.

Enjoy !! :)

Last edited:
30) Beef Tikka
(30) Beef Tikka.jpg (click on pic to enlarge)

Serves 4

Syn Free on Red and EE

Ingredients

1 kg beef cubed
2 tbs unripe papaya (ground)
½ tsp ginger paste
½ tsp garlic paste
2 tbs fat free yogurt
1 tsp red chilli powder
Frylight
lemon juice

Method

In a bowl, mix together all the spices, yogurt and papaya. Now add the beef cubes and coat. Set aside in fridge and leave to marinate for 5-6 hours, preferably overnight. Soak some wooden skewers for 30 mins before use. Thread the beef through the skewers. Heat a gridle pan and spray with frylight, place the skewers on top, heat through turning sides until cooked. Squeeze some lemon juice on top. Serve on a plate with salad and Raita .

Last edited:
Many thanks for the recipes, I'm trying to make more interesting evening meals, so will try some of these out on my family :D

Many thanks for the recipes, I'm trying to make more interesting evening meals, so will try some of these out on my family :D

Your welcome :) , hope they come out fab. Would love to see some pics. I have done a contents page on the first page listings all the recipes on this thread. If you would like to see any others, just let me know and I will do my best to pop them up. Happy cooking ! :D

Kay xx

Think I'll try the vindaloo with Chicken rather than Lamb

Love Indian food so will certainly be trying some of these.

This collection of recipes is amazing. A true labour of love given the amount of work that must have been involved.

Your welcome :) glad your liking the recipes! I have been cooking Indian food for family and friends for many years. Now I cook the same recipes but in a more SW friendly way, all the taste and flavour but less calories :D . Hope you enjoy making them !

Kay xx

Think I'll try the vindaloo with Chicken rather than Lamb

The Chicken Vindaloo is delicious ! You can adjust the chilli to your taste. Would love to hear how it turned out. Happy cooking ! :D

Kay xx

Love Indian food so will certainly be trying some of these.

Glad your liking them, the Contents Page is on page 1 with a complete list of the most requested and popular indian curries. If you would like me to add any another dish, just let me know and I will do my best to post it up :) .

Kay xx

Appetiser

31)
Spicy Corn Patties
(31) Spicy Corn Patties.jpg (click on pic to enlarge)

Serves 4

1 syn per serving on EE and Green.

Ingredients

1 tbsp plain flour (add 3 syns)
¼ bunch corriander chopped
1 tsp cumin seeds
2 cups sweetcorn
½ cup fried chana dal (yellow lentils)
½ tsp garam masala
1 tsp ginger garlic paste
2 green chillies deseeded, diced
Frylight
Salt to taste

Method

In a frying pan on medium heat, spray with frylight and fry the chana dal (yellow lentil) for 5 minutes and set aside in a bowl. To this bowi add the green chillies, cumin seeds, chopped corriander, ginger garlic paste, mix together and blend in a blender / food processor to a paste. After the coarse textured mixture is ready, add the sweetcorn to it. Blend it again and place the mixture in a separate bowl. Add salt to the mixture and mix well. The final corn mixture will have a little moisture oozed out from the corn. To get a firm texture add the plain flour to the mixture and mix well . Now divide the mixture into equal sized patties, and press gently to form a round burger shape.

Take a non stick frying pan, on medium heat, add 1 tbsp olive oil, then place the patties on it. Allow to cook for a while. If the oil dries up, spray the patties with a little frylight to keep the moisture. As they get golden brown from the bottom, turn them and cook the other side in the same way till golden brown. Your hot and crispy corn patties are now ready to be served !

Serve with a chutney or cucumber raita.

Last edited:
32) Butter Chicken

This is a hugely popular dish at Indian Restaurants but very calorific. Traditionally it is made with butter, but I have replaced that with Flora Lighter and Light (which is 1.5 syns per tbsp) . Flora LTL is a fantastic alternative and gives the same rich buttery taste ! I have seen a few butter chicken recipes around that use oil instead, but that changes the taste profile slightly from the original. Hope you enjoy this recipe!

This is a lovely dish to cook for family and friends, and rich in flavour so be prepared to save a few syns for this one ! :D

(32) Butter Chicken.jpg (click on pic to enlarge)

Serves 4

3 Syns per serving on Red and EE and (Green using Quorn Chicken style pieces)

Ingredients

500g boneless chicken cubed
6 tbsp Flora Lighter than Light (add 9 syns)
frylight
¼ bunch coriander leaves chopped
1 tbsp coriander powder
½ tsp crushed fenugreek leaves
½ tsp cumin seeds
2 tbsp Quark
2 green chillies deseeded, diced
1 medium onion finely chopped
1 tsp red chilli powder
½ tsp sweetner
2 cups of water
200g tomatoes chopped
Salt to taste
1 or 2 drops of red food colour
1 tbsp tomato ketchup (add 1 syn)
pinch of garam masala

Method

Wash the chicken and cut into cube size pieces. Apply the ginger garlic paste, salt, chilli powder, coriander powder to the chicken and mix well. In a pan on medium heat, add 1 tbsp ex v olive oil, and saute the chicken for a few minutes until golden and sealed and set aside. In the same pan, spray some frylight, add the cumin seeds, onions, ginger garlic paste, add 2 cups water, mix well and stir on medium flame, now add tomatoes, fenugreek leaves, green chillies, sweetener mix well, cover and cook on medium low flame for a approx 10 minutes until everything has mashed up and combined together. Now let the mixture cool down and then put this mixture into a blender and form a paste, then set aside.

In a pan on medium heat, melt the 6tbsp of Flora LTL spread, now add the mixture from the blender, cook for a few minutes, now add the quark and allow to melt into the sauce. (Keep a little water on the side and adjust the consistency if needed). Add salt to taste. Add 1 or 2 drops of red food colour, 1 tbsp tomato ketchup. Stir sauce well together. Now add the chicken pieces to the butter sauce. Stir again gently. Cook for a few more minutes. Now add a pinch of garam masala . Turn off the heat and garnish with freshly chopped coriander.

Serve with steamed basmati rice.

Last edited:
Back