Afro Caribbean section

I think smoked mackerel has syns because the smoking process draws out a lot of the moisture in it so you'll be eating a higher concentration of calories. So 100g of smoked mackerel would have much higher syns than 100g of fresh mackerel. Same concept as grapes/raisins. With other fish smoking doesn't affect its syns but because mackerel is so oily, smoking it just makes it that much oilier and though it's good fats I guess its just too much for SW to allow to be free...

On another note, does anyone know how many syns might be in dried/ground crayfish? I use it mainly as a seasoning when cooking Nigerian food, about a heaped tablespoon per batch of stew that serves 4 so I've been counting it as free but I suspect it isn't!

Can anyone recommend a good carribean curry powder? I've been making Mamas carribean chicken curry with normal curry powder & whilst it is gorgeous, I reckon it would be amazing with the right curry powder.

Or, does anyone know what the spices are in a Carribean Curry Powder & I'll make my own :)

Also, any good recipes for use with Pork Loin? I bought a job lot at the market this weekend and now have 6 meals worth I need to do stuff with!

kingleds said:
Can anyone recommend a good carribean curry powder? I've been making Mamas carribean chicken curry with normal curry powder & whilst it is gorgeous, I reckon it would be amazing with the right curry powder.

Or, does anyone know what the spices are in a Carribean Curry Powder & I'll make my own :)

Also, any good recipes for use with Pork Loin? I bought a job lot at the market this weekend and now have 6 meals worth I need to do stuff with!

Hey kingleds

Get the bolsts curry powder. Blue tin. Pic attached

Mama x

Attachments

• image-1643618203.jpg
    image-1643618203.jpg
    317.3 KB · Views: 181
Why not just whizz up your own? All those ingredients are available in all major supermarkets.

You've tried all your local shops I take it? They dont sell it in the supermarket here but they have it in the corner shop and the 'ethnic' shops.

Just found this recipe

8 Tbsp. cumin seeds
4 Tbsp. whole coriander seeds
2 Tbsp. cloves
2 Tbsp. poppy seeds
2 Tbsp. mustard seeds
4 Tbsp. ground cayenne pepper
4 Tbsp. ground cinnamon
4 Tbsp. star anise
2 Tbsp. fenugreek seeds
2 Tbsp. black peppercorns
8 Tbsp. ground turmeric
8 Tbsp. ground ginger

Dry roast the cumin and coriander in a saute pan until fragrant, just a few minutes. Grind all the ingredients, except turmeric and ginger, in a spice grinder, then store in an airtight container

Back