Anyone else suffering under the regime of a money-driven Slimming World Consultant?

SW is not a social club. I do get a little annoyed with the women who have attended my group for years and still dont lose weight, it kinda puts a dampner on all the people who do lose weight, who do plan, who do you the recipe books, who do share their tips, who do use a food diary, who...do SW!

I have only been with SW for a month, so please forgive me if I appear to speak out of turn. However, it appears to me that SW is a social club, of sorts. Our consultant always says that we are all there for the same reason, we like to eat!

The way I see it is, at SW we get to meet with people in the same situation as ourselves, who are (hopefully) non-judgemental and have some understanding of the problems we face. Don't get me wrong, I like to lose weight every week just as much as the next person, but if I don't manage it, how does that 'dampen' things for others who do? There are always a few each week at our group who don't lose, stay the same or even gain. It is often quite interesting just hearing them recount their stories and experiences.

We are all different, and as Emsie says, at least if people are following SW they are trying to manage their weight a little at least.

There is a 'social' element to all slimming 'clubs'. That's what a 'club' does, brings together like-minded people. We have a cup of coffee and a chat, we have a raffle, once in a while we bring in food we have cooked and have a taster 'buffet', we exchange tips and recipes, support each other and share our experiences on our journey. For some of us, (me included) it is often the only chance we get to get out and meet people all week. Therefore I DO look at SW as a kind of 'social club', but one that helps me to manage my weight problem. Am I wrong?

Last edited:
Gallifreya i agree with you! I lvoe going to SW every week as its usually only time i get out in week and i enjoy seeing a different group of people. We have losses, gains and STS every week but we all share reasons for these changes in weight and help each other. I was also asked to join the social team a few months ago and love it! I feel like im following the progress of the other members as much as the consultant and its lovely seeing the same people each week and watching their progress. I think even if you are target, stuck in a rut or losing week after week the club, and staying to Image Therapy, is a big part of SW.

I agree with you all. However, the point of going to SW is to do SW, no? Even if you maintain, youre still following the plan, you dont go to a SW meeting just to see people, surely? You go because you have an interest in your weight not because of a raffle!

I quote the OP "I plan on going to group as a target memeber until I get my act together"

Using this as a reason I could set my target as 3 lbs lower than what I weigh now. Then chage it when I lose 5lbs, and then move my target down 3 more lbs and so on and so on. Technically I would always be within my taregt weight (3+ or 3- my chosen weight) and would never need to pay and well within the Sw 'rules'. just because you can, doesnt mean you should I doubt that is what the Op is all about. However, I agree with the consultant, you should pay to attend class.

I quote the OP "I plan on going to group as a target memeber until I get my act together"

Using this as a reason I could set my target as 3 lbs lower than what I weigh now. Then chage it when I lose 5lbs, and then move my target down 3 more lbs and so on and so on. .

And wouldn't it be better that the op did that rather than feeling she should leave group and continued to get support and guidance rather than leaving and possibly ending up bigger and miserable?

You wouldn't be able to change a target like that as it has to be changed by a minimum of 7lbs at a time (other than at a c's discretion which probably wouldn't be given in such a case)

This all sounds very sensible to me - and the people who want to 'call' target because they are genuinely stuck or because they're a few pounds away and would find it emotionally easier to have less pressure should go ahead and do so. Your consultant's approach sounds very sensible to me.

But this is different to what the first poster described - which was a situation where she deliberately wanted to save money and spent it on other things rather than group - whilst still benefitting from advice and support from her consultant and the members. This seems, to me (and the consultant by the sounds of it) to be unfair. Also, naming the consultant on an open board, without giving her or him chance to respond is inappropriate.

I can't see where she named her?!.... Or is this just me being blind

And wouldn't it be better that the op did that rather than feeling she should leave group and continued to get support and guidance rather than leaving and possibly ending up bigger and miserable?

You wouldn't be able to change a target like that as it has to be changed by a minimum of 7lbs at a time (other than at a c's discretion which probably wouldn't be given in such a case)

Yes, in which case you are then using the resources of the group, wether it be the consultants time, other group members or such like and that isnt free. We as memeber spay for that gery service, hence why I beleive the OP should pay too.

I just don't get why you would set a target as something that isn't your target? To me, you may aswell not bother going. What are you going to get out of it?

By "getting your act together" what are you aiming to do? If you mean to start losing again, then you will start paying again - because you can only go 3lb out of target, either side. Again, it defeats the object.

I really dont understand your logic I'm afraid.

The op would be maintaining a weight which as a target member she would be entitled to do if she lost or gained weight she would go out of the target area and have to pay.
In one way I can understand that members who are paying to attend sw and lose weight would think that everyone should but then where does that leave this forum and those of us(myself included) who aren't attending group or paying online membership but get support from members that are and much of the advice/info is from sw and we should be paying for it.

Maybe the op will come back and be able to explain where she is coming from as sometimes posts when we are feeling upset can come across not entirely as meant etc or maybe she will have been scared off or not bother.

I would definitely agree that the consultants are not money grabbing whatsoever. My C has offered target to a few people in our group, who are nowhere near the original target they set. Some take the offer, others dont. The C's reasoning for this? "I can see your struggling with issues outside of losing weight and I feel bad taking your money every week if you feel deep down your head is not in the right place, however I dont want to to lose faith in yourself. You can call target so you can still get the support from the group and stay motivated to start when you're feeling better". The one woman I saw take this option, did so for 2 weeks whilst having family problems and ended up losing that 4lbs in that week, meaning she went back to fighting for her original target.

If you mean that you want to come along to maintain thats fair enough and if she is truly holding a grudge that that is unproffessional but perhaps as others said, because you were kind of friends she feels like youre throwing away you chances and wants you to be more determined?

x

I think the issue here is that she said she wants to be at target so she is not "frittering away good money every week". If this was the only reason that she wants to call target and told her consultant these exact words then the consultant probably would be a bit miffed.

I'm so sorry that you are having such a horrible time, have you though of reporting her to Sw headquarters? You're consultant sounds like a right tw@t, and why should you find another group, is she only like this with you or have any one else had a similar experience? If I was you collect as much information as possible write it down and find out who you can complain too, and will it be confidential (you don't want her finding out its you if nothing happens against her). I hope you can find closure hun ;) x

I wonder if the OP has actually thought this through. If anything maintaining is harder than losing weight so if she is struggling already, calling target is not miraculously going to change that. So in all likelihood even if she calls target she will very soon be outwith the target range and having to pay again. So better to address the root problem I think.

I'm so sorry that you are having such a horrible time, have you though of reporting her to Sw headquarters? You're consultant sounds like a right tw@t, and why should you find another group, is she only like this with you or have any one else had a similar experience? If I was you collect as much information as possible write it down and find out who you can complain too, and will it be confidential (you don't want her finding out its you if nothing happens against her). I hope you can find closure hun ;) x

I disagree. Imagine you are a consultant, your members set target, get within a few pounds, go off the rails and then set target while they get their act together..... I reckon you'd be a bit annoyed. Yes, you can set target at whatever weight you want but to reset to save money is just a bit wrong.

I agree with Sandy too, the OP hasn't replied to any of this. I'm sceptical too!!!

The more I thought about this thread today the more I started to think it was a personal vendetta/ trolling; knowing this is googleable, putting the C's name on... The whole thing stinks. Would naming the C alone not be enough to delete the whole thread?

Starlight said:
If youve posted a thread like this why would you not log in and read it though, why go to the bother of registering, surely youd want to reply to some of the points made... maybe Im just cynical...

Because the replies have been so rude and unhelpful? Not sure I'd post again either

Back