de-cluttering the home, as well as body & mind

OOh I love flylady !! i love the 15 minute blitzes and have my own 'morning routine' thanks to her.

Yeah I'm loving the fly lady link thanks! Got my house all cleared up, another trip to the dump means clear house again so its a sigh of relief when I get back into my "sanctuary" after the madness of the outside world :)

Girlygirl- There was soooo much stuff that for years i wouldn't part with. I had boxes of tickets for the cinema, for theme parks, flight stubs, I even kept a little box with the cigarette butt of the last cigarette my mam smoked, that might sound disgusting but I just wanted to keep anything that would remind me of her, I also kept the last pack of cigarettes my sister had before she died, never smoked them they just sat there. Just a few examples but that wasn't the half of it.

Pick a few things in each room that you want to keep. I have a two shelves, one in the sitting room and one in the dining room and I just have a few little things that I could never get rid of... not just sentimental but really meaningful. Ask a friend of family member to help go through the stuff with you, it might help put things in perspective.

The boxes and drawers of stuff in retrospect it wasn't healthy and it was like a reminder to be sad, bringing up all the what if's and the why's and ultimately me feeling sorry for myself. Since I got rid of the stuff I've been a different person, honestly, its like a weight lifted and positivity can get through again.

sillykitten that sounds so hopeful and helpful, thankyou.
i struggle with parting with my kids stuff - paper with scribbles on, old notebooks and memorabilia from holidays, like newspapers and maps for a zoo in wycombe and so on! :D
i always tell myself that i'll sit down and scrapbook it, but it's ten years old some of this stuff!

time for a deep breath and a big clear out.
(loving being able to see under my bed too!)

I thought about scrap booking but if i start holding onto stuff like that it's just giving myself an excuse kinda.... I do keep pictures my neices and nephews draw for me, they're on the fridge. My youngest neice is a little prodigy! She can draw anything and I refuse to throw any of her stuff away because one day they could be worth a fortune lol My sister kept all their bands from the hospital when they were born and the clips off their umbellical (spelling??) cords, I saved them for them when theyre older although I doubt they'll want to keep them.... But when it comes to your kids I can understand you wouldn't want to get rid of any of it, they grow up TOO fast! And how will you embarrass them when they start bringing girlfriends and boyfriends home ;)

Hi I really need to de clutter too and reading these posts has given me a bit of motivation.

Im the same if the house is a mess I cant relax and have no energy but when its clear and clean it makes me feel a bit better. I keep stuff that I probably shouldnt too, sentimental things.

All my clutter (especially in the spare room) seems to be causing me alot of stress, but just cant get started with it and dont know where to start. I cant even use the room to make my cards anymore which I find very therapeutic to do as I suffer with depression so it helps me to focus on something other than negative stuff.

If the room is a mess then I cant enjoy my hobby when I do get time to do it. Also I have a pile of bills and paperwork to sort through and file but just cant find the energy and motivation to get started on it.

When I have the time I dont have the energy and when I do feel like doing it it seems to be at a time when I am about to leave for work.

The weekend before last I had some time and sorted out all the food cupboard which is a start I suppose and went through all the dates etc and cleaned it all before putting it back tidy.

Think the house is getting on top of me. One of my jobs is cleaning other peoples house so the last thing I want to do when I get home is tackle my own. This morning I cleaned someones house for 4 hrs and now I have no energy for my own x

Oh, I totally agree with this. I try to keep the house neat but my partner is a total slob! It really drives me nuts and it does affect my mood. Nothing worse than spending all day slaving at work, to come home and find I will be slaving away cleaning all evening. :( I have decided selling some stuff is the best solution. If it's not there, it can't be contributing to the mess. I have found that if I ASK my partner 'do you want to get rid of this?' he will always say no, with a panicked look on his face! Buuuuut... if I know he doesn't even remember the item exists... I just pop it in the charity shop box and he's none the wiser. I have gotten rid of loads of things like this throughout the years and he doesn't know (or care) about any of it. Ignorance is bliss!! ;D

I checked out the FlyLady and found it really interesting but I don't really have a problem with keeping the house clean and tidy and organised and clutter free. What I find difficult is making time for myself, time to pamper and look after myself. By the time I get round to me I am too tired to bother. Oh, I dress to my shoes on a morning etc but I definitely come way down the list of priorities for much more. Any good help sites for that?

SilverS

Well, its gonna be a rainy weekend so good opportunity to give my self a kick up the bum and tackle some of the clutter zones in the house.

Going to try and clear/file/chuck paperwork.

Sort spare room so can use it for what its intended... card making hobby which I find relaxing. Might make a start this evening (sad I know) but with the help of a couple of glasses of wine I reckon I might get somewhere.

Apply for a job ive seen advertised before the application closes.

Hoping doing this will release some energy as seem to spend more time worrying about it and being bothered about it than doing it.

Anyone else going to tackle something with me this rainy weekend?

Could be sort of a challenge to help all of us if we all do something weve been putting off/dreading this weekend :rolleyes:

Any motivation would be appreciated as havnt found any yet but spose this is a start.

I am trying, and getting no where fast, to de clutter, so that I can decorate.
Some if the stuff has memories attached to them, others are "just in case"
It is hard to be ruthless, but I am trying :eek:.

I find it hard to be ruthless too. I only throw stuff I really want to, if it holds special memories it gets kept.

Sorted the mahooosive pile of paperwork this eve so kitchen table is now bills and paperwork free as it should be.

Going to try and sort it as it comes through the door infuture.

De- cluttering living room tomorrow and maybe make a start on the spare room if can find the energy.

I sometimes set a timer for about 20 mins and do part of a dreaded job in that time.

I like the house to be clean and airy its just all the rooms never seem to be tidy all at the same time and causing lots of stress and think it saps energy.

This thread is so motivating! Off to clean my kitchen now :D

Has anyone had a look at Flylady's web site? Brill for motivation on dealing with house work and clutter. If you can get over the Americanisms.

Loving the challenges in it, and quite motivated at the momment. Would love to be a domestic goddess but lack the organisation. Working towards it :)

Sparkling on !

Clarabow - I took a look at flylady but found some of the early steps a bit odd... I never wear shoes in the house for one thing and I think she said I had to?!?! Also the washing up is my OH's ONE job and I wasn't going to start shining the sink for him!
If I'd got further than that what tips have you found useful from it?

I'm off to clear out my wardrobe now :eek:
This, and the bathroom cupboard are the last 2 areas that I have to declutter upstairs :)

Mainly the bits about establising a night time, morning and after work routine. I dip into the bits I like and ignore the rest. The shoe bit is about setting yourself up for the day, making yourself presentable. I dont tend to ear shoes in the house either and I haven's shined my sink. Boy is it a whole lot cleaner though lol

Taken to doing things in 15 mins bursts, far easier to start to achieve things.

i've managed to do all my washing today, dry and put it by. Clear the kitchen table, a favorite dumping spot. Started to scrub up the kitchen tiles, a long job but a start was made.

Onwards x

Totally agree that you have to cherry pick the bits that fit you personally from fly lady !! But yes it does help and inspire !!
The getting dressed thing does make me smile but it's right, it's all about being motivated. Bothering to do things for yourself and your home. I find at weekends when I spend the morning slobbing around in my Jama's i dont feel motivated to do anything

I cleard out our veranda today !!

I need to check out this fly lady :)
Last night and tonight, I have been sorting out my clothes in my pants and bra :D

made a good start on the spare room today and the cupboard under the stairs,plus made the most of the sun and did a bit of washing, not put it away yet though thats going to far lol and got no energy left.

Ache loads now but hopefully burnt a calorie or three doing all that, have hardly sat down allday.

But did you have your shoes on ?? LOL

Heeheehee :D
As a matter of fact, I was walking around in 3 inch heels for a fair bit, to see if I wanted to keep them or not :cool::D
My feet have shrunk since I have lost weight, so I was trying on and walking about in quite a few pairs to see if they were comfy :). The 3 inch heel ones were :D, so have been kept :D

Back