Decent weight losses with PCOS?

"Normal women" ??? Clearly you have no idea how insulting that is! You also don't know much at all about pcos either. Poor advice given.

Am new to this forum. Am a severe case of pco with no periods for months together unless I induce them with medication. Needless to say I am dealing with huge weight issues. I generally eat a healthy diet. Last week tried the green sample plan on slimming world and achieved some success. Week two and that's it. No loss. Very worried. Stuck to the plan earnestly. Does anyone have similar experiences and advice?

Have not done SW but you might find some good advice on that specific forum.

I thought I would post in here. I have PCOS, thyroid cancer which meant my entire thyroid was removed but the levels still aren't right with tabs so its like having a constant underactive one, and another cancer. The PCOS and the type of treatment my thyroid cancer needs (some have it where it helps you lose, in my case its the opposite) means its very easy for me to gain weight. But that doesn't mean I cant lose weight either. From treatments to just my general heath I cant exercise all the time so I have to be careful about my diet. I cant do VCLD like I did in the past as my doctors say I am simply not well enough to do them so its been my own plan and I don't attend a group.

I will be honest with you I don't really bring carbs into. Which might sound odd but for me it was about having the "right" carbs rather than not eating x amount of them wholemeal bread vs white etc (thin sliced). So obvious things like I am also a veggie but that's a personal choice. I do calorie count but been doing this for a while I usually know what I am putting in my mouth without looking. But sometimes I do find great new ideas on here for things to eat.
I have lost over 10 and a half stone. I am hoping to lose 160lbs overall and so far its 150. So it can be done but I wont lie my losses have really slowed now, so I am hoping I can meet my goal. I have heard good things about SW and WW too I am sure they have experience dealing with ladies who have PCOS so can give tips on how to adjust on their weight loss methods. So don't give up, it can be done.

Am new to this forum. Am a severe case of pco with no periods for months together unless I induce them with medication. Needless to say I am dealing with huge weight issues. I generally eat a healthy diet. Last week tried the green sample plan on slimming world and achieved some success. Week two and that's it. No loss. Very worried. Stuck to the plan earnestly. Does anyone have similar experiences and advice?

Hiya, I too have PCOS. Tbh I didn't have much luck with SW or WW and have only really had major success combining VLCD with exercise. It can be done though. I've lost 3 stone, it's just been very slow is all. Keep you chin up - slow is better than not losing or gaining!!

Thank you for writing. I had a better week and the scales moved a little. I think the answer lies in low carbs and complex ones at that along with protein built in every meal. I hope I can sustain the loss. Will keep looking up this thread for advice and encouragement :)

That's good news. I definitely had more joy in red days.

Oops, pressed enter too soon lol. Yeah, red days which were more protein based were definitely more effective for me. They're also yummy!

I guess try the different options till you find what suits you.

Best of luck!!

Update: Day 5 on Lipotrim and 6.4lbs off! I have PCOS - excess hair, missing periods, weight probs etc. I can't believe something is working! I tried metformin years ago but the nausea was unreal. I'm on cyproterone acetate these days which really helps with the excess hair. Not sure if it's contributing to the weight loss.

I didn't have success on eating diets. I still have till Monday to weigh in- half a stone in a week is well worth giving up food for shakes. Plus I actually like the shakes lol.

Good luck everyone,
Natasha xx

That's really good, so pleased to see others having results on a vlcd. I've now lost over 8 stone, most of it with Slim and Save. It's all totally doable :)

Noodles, that's so impressive! Week 1 done and 8.2lbs off!!!!!! I am so chuffed!!!!! X

Sent from my iPhone using MiniMins

Have any of you looked at insulin resistance and cutting down your carbs? I've got the full works of pcos, endo and fibroids and struggled to get off a total of 3 stone in the 5 years since I hit my top weight. I've lost just short of 5 stone in 7 months using a mixture of different ketogenic plans. The evidence is pretty compelling - check out Dr Michael R Eades blogs amongst many others. I'm now looking to shift a little more, but maintain in the main by adopting a low carb lifestyle using a 5:2 intermittent fasting approach to drop another stone. I can't tell you how much better I feel in every single aspect from ditching carbs, it's worth a shot :)

Ive started Dukan and that means cutting carbs but staying low fat and WOW Ive lost 8lbs so far in 4 days. Im not going back to carbs again never again

Hi,

I was diagnosed with PCOS about 6 years ago........... When on slimming world or CD my weightlosses were on par with non pcos sufferers, although, there were weeks when I only lost half a lb or gained half a lb, when I had stuck to the diet, thankfully these were rare and I managed to lose 2 stone in around 4 months on slimming world. As others say a loss is a loss, just keep on going :) x

Hi, I find I can loose large ammounts of weight but then on the same footing I can gain just as much if not much just as quick.

I have pcos and started lipotrim last week- lost 8lb (Sunday update) and i hope i will lose more... I'm on metformin 500 twice a day 2 pills and Fluoxetine to boost my mood.

oh can someone please cheer me up.....

I was diagnosed with PCOS around a year ago. Which in a funny way cheered me up, because after the birth of my 3rd child (which was a shock in its self, finding out at 17 weeks, after endless trips to the hospital with 'sample' pots, pills and failing pregnancy tests!!!!) I find I couldn't shift 1oz of weight in over a year!!
I was put on some medication that, well... was less than useless so i stopped!.
My husband has always suffered with a weight prob, so he my sister in law joined SW. I stayed at home with the kids and just tried to follow best I could. since January I have managed shift 1st and drop a dress size, but now it has all stopped and I can't move anymore. I am still eating healthy and getting regular exercise, but nothing. although i am chuffed i've lost that stone, I really want to shift another 7lbs/stone at a push.

Any ideas???

Caz have you talked to your dr about that?

I also have PCOS and its a massive vicious circle! I am currently doing SW and after trying this before and just doing the extra easy I have moved onto Original (red) plan and lost 3.5lb in my 1st week! The red plan limits your carbs which having PCOS we need to do, try it this may help :)

Will metformin help weight loss? I'm currently not on any medication but have been offered tis... Wondering if it will help me as my weight loss seems to be so slow x

Metformin generally isn't recommended unless you do show pre-diabetes signs on a fasting glucose test. It works for some people but doesn't do anything at all for many others.

Back