Diet coke chicken

I heard about this last week at my meet. Apparently butchers use diet coke and tomato ketchup to give the meat a bbq taste

I am going to try this cos it sounds lush, how many syns does tomato ketchup have?

Hiya. I am glad its come out as a success cos it does sound bizarre. I used to do it with chopped tomatoes instead of the spices so if you havent got the spices just use that and it will be syn free.
Glad someone has tried it with quorn as we are trying to start stop eating chicken and meat after seeing those jamie oliver things on tv.

xx

I did this last night, but slightly different.

I used a pack of Quorn peices, a can of diet Irn Bru, equal amount of passata, a tsp of garlic, a splash of balsamic vinegar, and a drop of woucester sauce.

Bloody scrummy!

Ooo did that make it taste more like a sweet and sour chicken then??

Right i am going to give it a go tonight. So let me get this right, my chicken breast, chinese spices and a can of diet coke?? But if i don't have any spices i can use ketchup oh what about fruity sauce??? In fact i can't wait, i am going to have it for lunch and serve with egg noodles. Will let you know how i get on and what i used, i'm off to experiment x

I don't think it will matter as i am using morrisons diet coke from a big bottle. It isn't going sticky though. I have put the chicken to brown, diet coke and a tbsp of ketchup. Just hoping it simmers down to stickyness then i will boil up my noodles . might put soy sauce through noodles.

EEEEEEUUUUUWWWW i didn't care much for it, probably i never made it properly. I used Morrisons diet coke, tomato ketchup and i had no chinese spice so that was all i used along with my chicken. When it had soaked up all the diet coke i had it with egg noodles mixed with soy sauce. It looked absolutley gorgeous but i feel sick now. All i could tase was the diety coke taste that reminds you its not real coke (if that makes sense).

However i think i will make sure i have the proper diet coke and not the cheap one and invest in some chinese spices and try it again properly. Ha that is what i get for trying to make it with nothing in the house.

oh and whilst on the subject of cooking with fizzy drinks. If you are cooking a big ham, drain the water then stick it back in the pot with half a bottle of diet fanta. Apparently it is lovely. I heard about this at sw first time around x

Susie, I used Diet Irn Bru, so I can't see Pepsi Max being a problem. Diet lemonade could be nice, too.

I think it is a little more authenic with the barr bru...and gives it the right colour, too! lol

I do a similar recipe to this and its beautiful, don't think its healthy though as its full of sugar. A chinese guy I used to live in halls with taught me how to cook it and we have it very occassionaly because it is very rich and morish!

Ingredients -

Coco Cola Chicken
Dark Soy Sauce
Light Soy Sauce
Sugar
Oil/fry light

Cut the ends (feet I think) off the wings and cut whats left in to two

Get your oil really hot and add your wings in to brown

When the chicken browns, cover over with a table spoon of sugar, mix all in and then add anothertable spoon of sugar.

Then cover over with light soy sauce and mix in, then cover over with dark. Be generous :)

Simmer for a few minutes then add in a ottle of coke,so it covers the chicken and leave to simmer on low!

This will decrease to a sticky BBQ type, texture, sauce. It sthen ready. e careful not to burn it!

Serve with rice, Beautiful! This recipe tastes like a sweet sticky sauce. You can taste the soya lightly too :)

i would recommend the real diet coke to be honest the cheapy ones are gross at the best of times.
Also try it with a tin of tomatoes and then its completely free!!!
xx

Yeah i will give it a go properly when i have been shopping and see how it goes.

yummy! I've seen this recipe call for 1/2c ketchup, 2 chicken breasts and 1/2 can diet coke - I might try that next time as I think the ketchup will give it a nice stickyness.

But it was really yummy - thanks!

I've got it in the slow cooker now - will let you know how it goes! I did 2 sliced onions, coke zero, chinese 5 spice and the chicken. It smells pretty good!

mmmm i never thought of doin it in the slow cooker!!
what way did u do it stacey? i just cant get my head around all these ingredients together and bein so nice :confused: but i REALLY wanna try it :8855:xxx

I sliced a couple of small onions, bunged in the bottom of the slow cooker, 2 chicken breasts on top, half a small bottle of Coke Zero, tsp or so of chinese five spice and 2 tbsp ketchup. Popped it on high and left it for about 4-5 hrs. The last hour I took the lid off so it would thicken up.

Back