Total Solution Double Trouble...The Exante Duo!

oh thats a really nice memory..

you should go to the supermarket and put the amount you have lost in total into your trolley and take a photo of it!!!!

Amazing pictures, very inspirational.

Thank you everyone :)
Just a quick update as I now have another diary full of my self indulgent ramblings in the JUDD section.

The main news is that I've now been maintaining (loosely) for over two months now. Christmas was a challenge, partly because of all the social occasions, and partly because food was (and still is) still such a novelty. The result was that I ended up 6/7lbs over my goal weight, but I resisted the urge to do anything drastic about it and stuck with my plan to try JUDD (up days down days).
It seems to be working though - I'm now back down to 10st 6lbs, which is just 1lb away from my original goal, and I'm really enjoying being able to eat 'proper' food again. On the negative side I'm struggling to eat mindfully and not obsess about food, and I know I'm nowhere near having an intuitive attitude to hunger. I tend to work on how many carlories I have to "spend" that day, and try to cram as much as I can into that allowance (whether that happens to be 500 or 2000).
In time, I'm hoping the novelty of being able to have cake/chocolate etc will wear off, and I'll be able to end the day without using every last calorie available to me!! I'm sure this is all a kneejerk reaction to living on so few calories for so long. And also because I don't yet trust myself not to count calories - I've never ever tried to maintain before so I actually have no idea what a normal amount of food would be! I've always been bingeing or dieting, so I need to get some regular meals and snacks established before I let go of the reins and stop weighing/measuring/calorie counting.

Anyway, I hope this doesn't depress anyone into thinking that Exante will turn you into a calorie obsessed fruit loop like me! Maintaining is great actually - it's lovely to feel that acheivement of getting to goal, and I had so many lovely compliments over Christmas. In fact a few people I hadn't seen in a while actually didn't recognise me!
I still don't think my head has caught up with my body yet, but occasionally something will happen that makes me realise that I actually am 'average'. Like the other week, I was at work (hospital) and a patient was being wheeled through the ward in her bed so I had to squeeze into a corner to make way. She was laughing with me as she went past and said "it's a good job you're nice and slim!"......that completely stopped me in my tracks!! I thought "who, me?"...but I did walk away with a smile on my face. The funny thing is that she'll never know the significance of that throwaway comment :)
x

I will second what rach has said...

Wow you have done incredibly well, Congratulations! You must feel amazing, very well deserved. Im going to read through your diary now, Im pleased to have found someone maintaining after Exante i can read, as this is what i will be doing in a few months! xx

Well im back a couple of hours later after just reading through all your diary, and wow. What an incredible person you are. Such an inspirational journey, I had butterflies im my tummy reading every single one of your amazing achievements, a lovely read. Absolutely well done to you, The both of you. Im going to pop over to your JUDDD diary next :)

Congratulations on achieveing a dream xx

i am still so amazed at how far you have come :) you have done so well - and i cant help feeling proud of you ( i know that probably sounds mad ) its just you deserve this so much :D

I will second what rach has said...

And I'll third it! You're amazing, Alex, don't ever forget that. When I am wavering I think of you and know that yes it CAN be done!

KB xx

Thanks so much all of you...and the feeling is mutual. I think each and every one of us is amazing, no matter how big the journey or how many times we falter - we always come back for another go. The support we have here is second to none, and I know this is the one place I can be completely honest about my slip ups, my failures, and my completely bizarre relationship with food, without ever feeling judged.

Wow you have done incredibly well, Congratulations! You must feel amazing, very well deserved. Im going to read through your diary now, Im pleased to have found someone maintaining after Exante i can read, as this is what i will be doing in a few months! xx

Well im back a couple of hours later after just reading through all your diary, and wow. What an incredible person you are. Such an inspirational journey, I had butterflies im my tummy reading every single one of your amazing achievements, a lovely read. Absolutely well done to you, The both of you. Im going to pop over to your JUDDD diary next :)

Congratulations on achieveing a dream xx

Aw bless you....but that's two hours of your life you'll never get back ;)
Just kidding - I'm always amazed and extremely flattered that people would want to read my whole story, and what's even better is the feeling that it might help or inspire anyone with their journey. As I've said earlier, I have an extremely flawed relationship with food, and an extensive dieting history, but I'm beginning to believe that I can at least find a way to manage that relationship, even if I never completely overcome my tendency to overeat.
Wishing you the best of luck with your own journey....and thanks again for your lovely comments x x

Almost forgot to mention - I lost 2.5lbs JUDDing this week, which takes me back under my goal weight :) It also means that my 'maintainer' badge is back in its rightful place. Happy days indeed :D
x

Well done hun that's great... I hope to do the same to maintain when I get to goal. Just gotta get there...

Can't believe it's been so long since I posted here, or anywhere on Minis actually. I visit every single day, but something seems to have stopped me from joining in just lately.

Well my latest update is that I'm still hanging around my target weight (4.25lbs above it at my last weight in), but I do feel like I'm only hanging on by the skin of my teeth. Not because I can't control/monitor what I'm eating, just because whenever I try eating at a normal calorie level (albeit low 'normal') I seem to have a gain :( Take last week for example.

My calories each day averaged over the week as 1330, but this involved one 3000 calorie day (Indian take-away) and at least two/three 800 calorie days to compensate. I thought I'd be safe at that, especially as the 3000 calorie day was only the day after my previous weigh-in. Sadly not - I gained again for the third week running :(
Maybe I've just messed my metabolism up after being on a VLCD for so long, but I have a few other medical symptoms going on too (constant tiredness, lethargy, feeling cold, poor sleep, unhappy, dry skin/nails) so I'm in the process of getting my thyroid checked out, just in case it's that. I seriously doubt it, but you never know. I just find it hard to accept that I can't enjoy a take away on a Saturday night with my man without gaining weight, even when I cut right back afterwards.

Onto other news (more doom and gloom I'm afraid). I'm also in the process of seeking some support with the psychological side of things, as my obsessive calorie counting, meal planning, and just general thoughts about food seem to have become very out of control and disordered. It's at the point where I feel very anxious in situations when I'm not able to accurately estimate/count my calories, and I find it extremely difficult to be spontaneous....I even weigh out lettuce for my salad and 2g of raisins for my porridge (which works out at about 4 raisins!)
Food seems to be on mind to the point that it invades every part of my day pretty much, but particularly time when I'm alone/driving/generally trying to relax. I'm even at the stage now where I've had to start reading a book that I've already read - because I know my mind will wander too much to follow a completely new story.

I know I need to challenge these obsessive thoughts, and that it isn't natural to need so much control, to record, plan and think about food as much as I do. Unfortunately, my body isn't giving me the evidence that I CAN relax the rules and habits I've developed lately. If I'm gaining when I'm being as meticulous as I am now, what happens if I loosen the reins?

Anyway, I'm resisting dropping my calories any further, but it's my birthday in about three weeks and I desperately want to be back beneath my goal. I know how unhappy I'll be knowing that whatever I'm eating then is taking me further and further away from where I want to be. It'll also cause tension between me and The Man, because he doesn't really understand this stuggle I'm going through, and will just want us to enjoy ourselves (it's his birthday the day before mine). So the plan is to weigh in tomorrow, see where I am then (hopefully a bit lighter) and take it from there.
My bloods were done this morning, and I have a number to ring to get the ball rolling with the other stuff, but I think in the short term I'm going to have to have a very strict few weeks (maybe just above VLCD levels) just so I can stay sane for our birthdays.

Well I'm sorry this isn't exactly a chirpy update. I'm trying to cling onto the fact that I'm still within a few lbs of goal four months down the line....which I guess is a miracle for me given my history!

Hope you're all doing well
I'll be back with an update soon x x

Hi there :) Well done for your initial weight loss, what an amazing amount to lose, and to keep it off, but I can see from what you're saying that you sound like you need help dealing with the obsessiveness of it. Once it's taking over your life and affecting your relationships it's definitely time to see someone about it. I wonder if hypnotherapy would help? It might be something to look at, if it could allow you to live a little more spontaneously and not get so stressed about worrying about every calorie (while still emphasising healthy eating).

Hi Alex :)
Its good to see you again, and I am chuffed that you have kept the weight off :)
I think that the very fact you can see that you are being overly obsessive will help you see things rationally sooner rather than later.
I hope the help, helps :)

Are you JUDDDing now ?
I did try that, last year, very unsuccessfully though, as I had too many up days to lose :eek:

Hey Alex. I hope you're feeling better now. I think some of the things your going through might be normal for someone who has lost all the weight they needed to lose. Just look how far you have come, you have done so well. I understand your probably so scared the weight will creep back on when upping calories but maybe if you do it slowly and let your body get used to the new amount each time it will realise you're not going to starve it again. It will take time but I am sure you will get there. ( don't ask me what I am going on about lol)

Hello everyone,
Just a quick update to let you know that I'm still maintaining, nearly 8 months on :) In fact, I'm currently a few pounds below goal for the first time this year, which feels like a far more comfortable place to be.
I'm still struggling to let go of my calorie counting regime but I'm not quite so obsessive as I used to be (I don't weigh lettuce anymore for instance!). I've had a bit of support with this side of things via my GP, which seems to be helping a lot. My aim is to get to the point when I don't panic and think that I'm automatically going to gain weight when I eat above my allowances or can't/don't count my calories. However 30 years of black/white thinking and binge/diet eating is not going to be undone overnight
I still have no idea where my maintenence calorie level really lies, but at the moment I'm averaging between 900-1200 calories per day. At that level I've been slowly losing, but I've got a couple of social things coming up over the next few weeks so I've been intentionally trying to build up a buffer. I've also got a dress to fit into for a wedding later this month, which really has no room for manoevre so that's a big incentive to stay below goal!
Other than that, there's not much to update on...The Man and I are still together - I can't believe it's been nearly three years now! He's not currently dieting but seems to be avaraging about 4-5 stone lighter than his heaviest weight, which is a massive acheivement. I know he wants to lose more again and get back down to his lightest weight, but as we all know, the battle with a VLCD is 90% in your head.
So looking back on my last entry, I definitely feel happier and less obsessive than I did then! There's still work to be done, but I think the battle is definitely worth it. I don't want to tempt fate, but I really wouldn't want to undo all my hard work at this stage...
Hope everyone else is well (if anyone is still reading! ;-))
x

Last edited:
Of course we are still reading. I was only thinking about you yesterday actually so I was made up to see this update. Well done with the maintaining, that is the hardest part of all this. I can't believe its been 3 years since you and the man got together, where has the time gone. You look amazing on your pictures, I saw some on fb and you are unrecognisable.

Wow! I'm so impressed. Well done. X

Back