EE - what ham is syn free

Hi All,

I usually look at the ingredients list on the back, My SWC says if its 95% meat then its generally free as rule of thumb. The less meat the more crap!! LOL

Exactly - the only way to know what we are eating, boring and tedious though it may be, is to turn the packet over and read what it says in the small print.

The Bernard Matthews Wafer Thin Turkey Ham is only 60% turkey.

The rest of the ingredients are as follows:
Water, Potato & Rice Starches, Salt, Stabilisers (Carrageenan, Diphosphates), Dextrose, Milk Protein, Natural Flavouring, Whey Protein, Rosemary Extract, Antioxidant (Sodium Ascorbate), Garlic Extract, Preservative (Sodium Nitrite).

Even its "premium" Turkey Breast is only 80% turkey - the rest is Water, Salt, Starches (Potato, Rice, Tapioca), Stabilsers (Carrageenan, Diphosphates), Lactose, Milk Protein, Sugar, Natural Flavourings, Spirit Vinegar, Acidity Regulator (Bicarbonate of Soda), Rosemary Extract, Caramelised Sugar Syrup, Butter Oil, Yeast Extract, Chicken Stock.

Tesco Value Chicken Roll has even less meat:

Chicken (55%), Chicken Fat, Water, Potato Starch, Milk Proteins, Salt, Sugar, Stabilisers (Sodium Triphosphate, Sodium Polyphosphate, Disodium Triphosphate).

Exactly - the only way to know what we are eating, boring and tedious though it may be, is to turn the packet over and read what it says in the small print.

The Bernard Matthews Wafer Thin Turkey Ham is only 60% turkey.

The rest of the ingredients are as follows:
Water, Potato & Rice Starches, Salt, Stabilisers (Carrageenan, Diphosphates), Dextrose, Milk Protein, Natural Flavouring, Whey Protein, Rosemary Extract, Antioxidant (Sodium Ascorbate), Garlic Extract, Preservative (Sodium Nitrite).

Even its "premium" Turkey Breast is only 80% turkey - the rest is Water, Salt, Starches (Potato, Rice, Tapioca), Stabilsers (Carrageenan, Diphosphates), Lactose, Milk Protein, Sugar, Natural Flavourings, Spirit Vinegar, Acidity Regulator (Bicarbonate of Soda), Rosemary Extract, Caramelised Sugar Syrup, Butter Oil, Yeast Extract, Chicken Stock.

Tesco Value Chicken Roll has even less meat:

Chicken (55%), Chicken Fat, Water, Potato Starch, Milk Proteins, Salt, Sugar, Stabilisers (Sodium Triphosphate, Sodium Polyphosphate, Disodium Triphosphate).

OMG shocking really.......don't even want to buy turkey ham any more! Even though its was cheap as chips and nice in pasta n sauce thankfully my OH has moved onto SW soups for dinner so no real need to buy it i will stick to Mackerel in tomato sauce scrummy!

I know this is an old thread but super helpful, I was just munching through some of the tesco chicken roll and though yea its free awesome, just checked on as I doubted myself and 1 syn per slice :O Definitely choosing the ham in future for me! Eye opener!

I know this is an old thread, but I want to bring it up to date, so I'm attaching my question to it as the thread all relates to ham, over which there seem to be a lot of queries. The other day, my local Tesco was doing the large pear shaped tins of Tulip Premium Lean Ham 340g on a clearance offer. It was reduced from £2.99 down to 97p and the tins were good through to 2018. Now that's cheap by anyone's standards and having never been the one to look a gift horse in it's mouth, I cleared the shelf....yep, all 11 tins went into my shopping trolley.

However, before I go on a ham fest of ham salad, ham omelette, ham in curry, ham sandwich, Ham with SW chips and egg, ham and pasta bake, (if I can ever get my head around EE), ham casserole, etc., etc., with ham for breakfast, ham for lunch, ham for dinner and ham for snacks, I want to see if what I've bought will end up in my son's food cupboard because I've landed myself with a syn loaded product. I hasten to stress, it is the Premium Lean variety, not the regular Tulip ham.

Sooooooo.....can anyone tell me what the syn value of this particular variety of ham in when eaten on red or EE days?

Thank you so much to anyone who's reading and can help :)

Last edited:
This is where you really need to read all the information on the label. You already know what I am about to say, as you have the tins, but for those who might be interested, here is what it says on the Tesco website Tulip Premium Lean Ham 340G - Groceries - Tesco Groceries.

The ingredients are:

Pork (83%), Water, Salt, Stabiliser (Sodium Triphosphate), Pork Gelatine, Sugar, Preservative (Sodium Nitrite)

The only problem there is the sugar, but looking further down the page it seems that there is only 0.5g of sugar per 100g, which (personally) I wouldn't worry about. Also, it only has 3g of fat per 100g, which is very low for meat.

I don't have access to the syns calculator, but someone who does could put the values through it for you - but to me it looks as if it would be free.

I do hope you are right AnnaFaraday I must confess that I didn't look at the list of ingredients, simply because I - like you - don't have access to the syns calculator and to be perfectly honest, I never thought about doing so, (must be having a senior moment)

Last edited:
I am a real bore about ingredients lists, go on about them all the time. They tell you so much.

Even though I sometimes need a magnifying glass to read them! (And yes, I do have a magnifying glass in my purse, to use in the supermarket - saaaaaddd!)

Just to bring this thread bang up to date and to keep all informed. There were so many things frustrating me on this site and the syn value of Tulip Premium Lean Ham was one of them, so I decided to rejoin SW today. Now I've joined and have access to the syn calculator I can confirm that Tulip Premium 340g Lean ham is indeed FREE on EE and Red.

Back