Everyone elses thoughts on Syns

bbecky1

Hi, I am fairly new to this and unfortunately do not have a very helpful consultant so just wanted others thoughts on syns and what works best for you?

All my consultant says is to have between 5-15 syns a day - does this mean you should ALWAYS have at least 5 a day? There are a couple of girls in my group who don't have any syns at all some days.

When we had another consultant cover for holiday she was quite forceful in saying you should have no more than 10 a day and actually had a go at some of the members who had had up to 15?

What are peoples experiences on this?

Thanks
Bex

Hi Becky,
I think you will probably figure out what works best for you, as everyone is different. I tend to have around 13- 15 syns most days. Although right now i've cut them down to 10 as i'm nearly at my 1st target and weight isn't shifting as fast as i'd like so thought i'd give reducing syns a go. Mind you although i've said i hav 13-15 syns, in absolute honesty I figured out recently that since starting this journey back in May I have been having onken fat free yoghurts as a free food, but realised recently that they weren't free anymore (well they were not free since I began my journey but were before that) so technically i've been having around 18/19 syns on most days! Since finding out I've found their syn value and figured now I know, if i continue them as free i prob won't loose knowing my luck! hope that helps somewhat. BTW I do SW from home that's why I wasn't aware of youghurt changing from free to syn!

The problem is everyone is different and what works forone doesnt work for another. Its not just the syn value its what you using them for to. I think if you use them for things like chocolate, crisps or any high in fat products it will have an effect on your loss. I always have a look on the back of packets to see the fat content per 100g and try to go for something that is below 5% fat. If i fancy something sweet i have licorice and use a make called panda the fat content is 0.4% per 100g and a bar is about 32g so hardly anything, they are 5 syns each and you can have plain, raspberrie or blueberrie. i use most my syns on protein shakes, flaxseed, licorice things like that.

And i am not saying you should do that, its just how i do things. so long as you have upto 15 syns a day you should be fine and reduce as you get closer to target if the losses are not coming. I also go up and down with my syns, say have 20 one day and 5 the next or some days i dont have any. I mix it up quite a bit.

Back