Fasting & SW!

How interesting, thank you for sharing your experiences with us. I was just going to ask about medication, as I myself have to take 7 pills across the course of the day, are people on long term medication able to take part? I suppose in some cases you might be able to switch the routine from day to night but not all.

It sounds to me like you will be fine as you are planning ahead and determined to make it work. Good luck :)

People who need to be on medication and have their dosages throughout the day are also exempt.

People who need to be on medication and have their dosages throughout the day are also exempt.

Well said :) x

Children don't fast either but are encouraged if they express an interest so they are prepared for later life. The way we used to do it when we were little was have two fasts a day - wake up at sunrise and eat, then not eat until whatever was half time between sunrise and sunset, have a little something then, and then not eat until everyone else ate at sunset.

xxx

Hi,
was just lurking in the CD forum and there's loads of ladies doing a ramadhan challenge!
Good reading!

Good luck 10st10! It must be a really exciting and special time for you and other muslims. Wishing you a holy ramadan and fantastic knees up at Eid! ZXXXXXXXXX

I am in awe of anyone that fasts like this. I worked with a lady who would get very faint during the day, but flatly refused to break fast and have a sip of water. It seems very harsh (and a bit dangerous!).

Good luck with sticking to plan Ali and Meli (and anyone else!). Although you may not be having 3 meals a day, as long as you have plenty of superfree and try to get in your hexs, you should do fine :)

Hi 10st10

I've only just found this post and now feel really bad cos I don't fast!
Lately I've been addicted to chana chaat having realised that the potatoes, chickpeas and chaat powder are free on EE and 2tbsp of tamarind paste are 2syns. And my mother used to put chaat power on fruit salad as well. Also I'm not sure but is vermicelli free cos there is this lovely dish (that i cant remember how to make but could find out for you) using eggs that my mother used to make as well. And you could try baking the samosas with a spray of fry light instead of frying. If you are invited to any ifthars you could offer to make them, then it'll be ok to eat them! And save your HEX A's for the shurbath if you break fast with it.

Inshallah you'll do fantastically well. Just be strong and remember your goal, and like you said when you break the fast after the first few bites your full!! It'll get easier after the first few are done. xxx

Good luck 10st10! It must be a really exciting and special time for you and other muslims. Wishing you a holy ramadan and fantastic knees up at Eid! ZXXXXXXXXX

Hey Zoe :) Exciting?! Special?! Lol - extreme hunger and can't-be-assed feeling all day more like! I don't usually look forward to eat but this time I think I am because I'm not going to feel humongously fat in whatever I wear! (I hope :p) xxx

I am in awe of anyone that fasts like this. I worked with a lady who would get very faint during the day, but flatly refused to break fast and have a sip of water. It seems very harsh (and a bit dangerous!).

Good luck with sticking to plan Ali and Meli (and anyone else!). Although you may not be having 3 meals a day, as long as you have plenty of superfree and try to get in your hexs, you should do fine :)

Hey Kel! Just saw your losses and WOW! That's amazing work hun!

No matter how much you want to give in, most times you really can't. I don't know what kind of determination kicks in the moment Ramadan starts but something does happen! Harsh and dangerous it may be, but we live :)

xxx

Hi 10st10

I've only just found this post and now feel really bad cos I don't fast!
Lately I've been addicted to chana chaat having realised that the potatoes, chickpeas and chaat powder are free on EE and 2tbsp of tamarind paste are 2syns. And my mother used to put chaat power on fruit salad as well. Also I'm not sure but is vermicelli free cos there is this lovely dish (that i cant remember how to make but could find out for you) using eggs that my mother used to make as well. And you could try baking the samosas with a spray of fry light instead of frying. If you are invited to any ifthars you could offer to make them, then it'll be ok to eat them! And save your HEX A's for the shurbath if you break fast with it.

Inshallah you'll do fantastically well. Just be strong and remember your goal, and like you said when you break the fast after the first few bites your full!! It'll get easier after the first few are done. xxx

Hey hun :) Don't feel bad! A lot of people don't fast, there's nothing to feel bad about!

I had chana chaat today at a birthday party and thought of your post which I'd just read before leaving the house, hehe :p Yeah, my mum has a thing for chaat masala aswell hahaha, it drives me mad! Regarding the samose... there'd still probably be quite a few syns for the pastry, and I don't think I'd have the patience to wait for them to fry in FryLight. Plus, I think if I had one, even if it was cooked in the healthiest way possible, I wouldn't be able to resist the rest of the plate! The worst is when there's a few left over so they stay on the table or the work top or whatever, and you go into the kitchen before bed to get some water or something, when suddenly your eyes fall onto the plate and before you know it, you're scoffing the samosa in your gob! Or is that just me? :eek: I think I'll just stick to maybe having two a week or something hahaha..

Can I ask what shurtbath is? I think it's the same thing we call roo-afza but I'm not sure! It's not pink and rosey and sugary is it?

Yeah iA I will feel full after the first few bites and it will get easier after the first few days :) xxx

Hi 10st10

I think I've prob spelt it wrong but my Amma used to make shurbath at Ramzan. I think its milk, rose water, prob sugar and not sure what else. Or we had lassi which was my fav cos I prefer savoury stuff like SAMOSAS!!!!! :eek::eek: I have to say I do miss it all...... :sigh:

i know it might not be the same as proper samosas, but you can use filo pastry which is 2.5 syns for a big sheet, theres a recipe for them in the curry book xx

Thanks honey :) I will have a look at the book when I go to class on Thursday xxx

Hi 10st10

I think I've prob spelt it wrong but my Amma used to make shurbath at Ramzan. I think its milk, rose water, prob sugar and not sure what else. Or we had lassi which was my fav cos I prefer savoury stuff like SAMOSAS!!!!! :eek::eek: I have to say I do miss it all...... :sigh:

Yeahh, shurbath and roo-afza sound like the same thing! Very pink, very sugary, I don't even want to think about the syns in the syrup! I think I may avoid it this year, unless I can find some info on the calorie content :)

Is there anything stopping you from keeping a couple of roze this year? And is there anything I can call you other than Piglet?! I think 'baji'? :) xxx

So guys, looks like there is going to be two different Ramadans this year...(!) Some people are starting fasting tomorrow morning, based on the fact that they are following Saudi Arabia who have already seen the moon (being ahead in time). For some reason, the local mosque where we got our timetable from printed the first fast as being on Thursday, and they have set up a message on their phone line that says it is definitely on Thursday. How they have managed to get so sure about this information is beyond me, as today's moon hasn't been sighted in England!

Doesn't look like I will be fasting tomorrow, but Thursday for definite, so I won't be able to eat anything after WI! :( Oh this is gonna be difficult cause everyone brings something for breakfast! :(

Anybody else got conflicting dates? x

Ahhhhh 10 10 that brought tears to my eyes thank you so much :) ...... my names Dijla, its arabic .... as in the River Tigress which flows through Iraq/Iranbut everyone calls me Dij xx

Hey guyz
I start fasting on the 12th too.
My aim is to have a bowl of fruit chaat when i break the fast and after performing my pray have a SW meal.
The rest of the family will be having fried food (samosas, pakoras etc..) but i'm gonna try to stick to plan much as possible.
As for before sunrise, a glass of milk and maybe fruit, that's if i fancy some at that early time! It's gonna be hard but i'm gonna try, i need stick to SW healthy eating plan much as possible! :)

Will have to share ideas with you guys throughout the month of Ramadan. :D

Anywayz, Ramadan Mubarak! to all who start fasting soon! :)

So guys, looks like there is going to be two different Ramadans this year...(!) Some people are starting fasting tomorrow morning, based on the fact that they are following Saudi Arabia who have already seen the moon (being ahead in time). For some reason, the local mosque where we got our timetable from printed the first fast as being on Thursday, and they have set up a message on their phone line that says it is definitely on Thursday. How they have managed to get so sure about this information is beyond me, as today's moon hasn't been sighted in England!

Doesn't look like I will be fasting tomorrow, but Thursday for definite, so I won't be able to eat anything after WI! :( Oh this is gonna be difficult cause everyone brings something for breakfast! :(

Anybody else got conflicting dates? x

Yes, my family start fasting on thursday because the mosque we attend start Ramadan on thursday, but another mosque in our city start Ramadan tomorrow. So in our city 1 mosque starts fasting tomorrow and 2 mosques start on thursday! :confused:

Back