• 2 tbsp hoisin sauce
  • 2 tbsp oyster sauce
  • 1 tbsp fish sauce
  • 1 x 10g sachet instant miso soup
  • 2” ginger, peeled and finely sliced
  • 200g rice noodles
  • 100g shiitake mushrooms
  • 1 green chilli, de-seeded and finely chopped
  • 300g peeled, raw king prawns ( I use chicken instead )
  • 200g asparagus, trimmed and cut into 2” pieces
  • 100g mange tout or sugar snap peas, shredded
  • 200g beansprouts
put in a pan, simmer for a few mins. Lovely & very low fat

All these lovely ideas are great, inspired me to make a curry parsnip and apple soup, very tasty, only a couple of syns for whole soup but makes loads so very worth it, may have to have a second mugful,

I have recently started making lots of soups. I make one big pot and as soon as that is almost gone, I then make some more (different type). I think it is a great thing to have on hand as a snack etc and of course most soups are SYN free.

I have been having, spicy carrot, spicy tomato, minestrone, tomato and pasta, lentil and courgette. The list goes on.

Thanks for the great recipes! I have only just started making soups after some disastrous batches a couple of years ago. I found it really difficult to get the consistency right. A fellow SW friend gave me a tip, which I will gladly pass on.
Spray a saucepan with fry light and add 1 cup of onion chopped and 1 cup of potato chopped. Sauté with the lid on for about 10 minutes. Add salt & pepper. (This forms the base of the soup) Add 3 cups of veg. I try to use superfree, speed food.. eg carrots, butternut squash, leeks, celery, roasted red peppers etc. Then add 4 cups of stock made up from bouillon stock (free). Simmer with the lid on until cooked, and then blend! Yummy!

I made one last night - just put a bit of Fry Lite, spring onions, leeks, carrots, 1 red pepper. When these go a bit soft, then I added the veg stock with 3 cups of water, 1 tsp curry powder, a bit of salt and fresh black pepper and simmered it until they were soft- blended and it was delicious!

the mediterranean roast veg soup in the SW free food cook book is easy and absolutely delish- my mum and I have just polished off a HUGE pan full in two days!!

I do love soup, and I don't know why I don't make fresh, tasty, syn-free soup more often!

Last night I whipped up a super-simple lentil and bacon soup that was really hearty and filling.

I used:

• 200g red lentils
  • 2 rashers of smokey bacon (cut into small pieces)
  • 1 red onion (finely chopped)
  • 1 clove garlic (crushed)
  • mushrooms (small chunks)
  • tin of chopped tomatoes
  • half a teaspoon of dried chilli flakes
  • 1 pint of stock
Over a med-low heat, gently cook the onions and garlic until soft (using frylight).
Add the bacon and mushrooms and cook for a couple of mins til the bacon is cooked.
Pop in the lentils, tomatoes, stock, chilli and add some black pepper.
Cook on a low heat for around 20 mins til the lentils are soft and the soup is thick and tasty!

This soup could be made veggie by leaving out the bacon and substituting smoked paprika for the bacon, giving a similar, smokey taste.

Lentils are so tasty, and extra good at getting fibre into your diet. Great for your inner workings!

thanks for all the recipies - they sound delicious - going to try a couple this week

Ive just had a bowl of homemade soup, most of it superfree.

I made it yesterday and just chopped up whatever veggies were to hand, cauliflower, broccoli, onions, carrots, leeks and sweet potato, covered it with 2 pints of veg stock and simmered for about 40 mins. then I blitzed it with the blender and then added some chicken. It was delish!!!

I find homemade soups are a way of getting your 1/3 superfree easily.

Corn Chowder

100 g bacon, diced
1 onion, chopped
1 stick celery, sliced
1 green pepper, diced
2 medium potatoes, cubed
1 ½ tsp paprika
Chicken bovril made to 600ml with boiling water
1 bay leaf
1 dspn instant potato
225 g sweetcorn kernels
Freshly ground black pepper

Cook the diced pieces of bacon in a large saucepan over a medium heat until the fat runs, pour off fat.
Add the onion, celery and green pepper and cook for 2-3 minutes until all the vegetables have softened.
Add the cubed potatoes and paprika, stir well then pour in the stock.
Add the bay leaf and then slowly bring to a gentle simmer.
Cover and cook for 15 minutes until the potatoes are tender,add the instant potato
Add the sweetcorn and then simmer for about 5 minutes, stirring constantly, until the soup thickens.
Season and sprinkle with chopped, fresh parsley to serve.

add a spoonful of fat free yogurt at the end, if wanted.

My fave is cajun chicken soup - I make a huuuuuuge pan full and freeze it for lunches, lasts over a week.

5 peppers (any colour)
2 medium - large onions
3 cloves of garlic
2 whole chopped chillies
3pts chicken stock
6 chicken breasts
Tinned tomatoes
2 bags of rice
1 tblsp cajun spices
1 tspn paprika
1 tspn oregano
frozen peas
salt and pepper

Chop peppers and onions into large chunks and peel the garlic cloves. Place in baking tray and roast in oven on gas mark 6 for 30 mins. Add the chopped chillies after 25 mins.

Make up the stock and place in a large pan with the tinned tomatoes, cajun spices, paprika, oregano and salt and pepper. Add the roasted veg and simmer for 10-15 mins.

Place chicken breasts in the baking tray you have roasted veg in and place on oven for 25 mins.

Blitz the stock and veg mix with a hand blender until smooth. Empty the rice uncooked into the soup mix and simmer. The soup will cook the rice.

Once chicken is cooked, cut into chunks and add to the soup with the frozen peas. Simmer for further 5 mins and pot up!!

Thanks for posting these - esp the easy ones. Not eating much veg at the mo (and as a vegan I really should!) so you've encouraged me :)

butternut squash and red pepper :)

I'm sipping away at a lovely one I made last night at the mo ...

4 sprays of frylight in the saucepan
1 onion, cook for a couple of mins
Add 2 sweet potatoes and 2 carrots
Season
Add mixed dried herbs
Sprinkle in some ground cumin
Pour in 1 pint of veg stock made with 2 veg oxo cubes
Bring to boil then simmer for 30 mins

When cool blitz with blender

I found it a bit thick so added about half a pint of water

Lubbly jubbly! It is gorgeous!

Kidney Bean Soup

This is a really filling soup.
RED KIDNEY BEAN SOUP

Ingredients
1 Large onion
1 Head celery
1 Red pepper
2 Cloves garlic (optional)
1 Large can tomatoes
1 Can kidney beans
3 tbsp tomato puree
100g red lentils
½ tsp chilli powder
1 tsp cumin
2 pints vegetable stock
1 Can sweetcorn

Chop all fresh veg. Just cover with water, cover and cook for 10-15 minutes. Add all remaining ingredients except sweetcorn. Bring to boil and cook uncovered for 30 minutes. Stir in sweetcorn to heat through. Season with freshly ground pepper to serve.

Eat and enjoy!!

Back