Foolproof galette

Well, I tried these for the first time today but I had to improvise slightly.

First I am cooking on an electric hob so the lowest setting ie number 1 may be a lower temp than the lowest flame on gas.

I did as you describe, left it for 12 mins or so though as I was pegging the washing out so didn't hear the timer going off. :rolleyes:

Anyway, it wasn't cooked properly even after 12 mins so I turned it up to number 2 for a couple of minutes and that did the trick.

Turned it over but it only needed a couple of minutes on the other side as it was nearly cooked.

I think my pan may be too wide though, it is a 24cm one and because the mix was quite thin it came out the same thickness as a tortilla.

What size pans do people use for theirs?

I think I may have to go and buy a 20cm one.

By the way I didn't have and don't intend to buy Quark as it sounds disgusting :D so I used a tbs of greek style yoghurt instead, added 1tbs of light brown Splenda and half a cap of Dr Oetker Vanilla Extract.

It tasted lovely and was really filling.

Although really thin, it reminded me in taste and consistency of treacle tart.

I tried it and worked perfectly! From now on, this is the way I bake my galettes :)

I will give it another go tomorrow with my new non stick pan. :D

I think that the one I was using was too wide so I bought a new small one today from Wilkinsons (20cm £4.50), tested it at lunch time and cooked my gallette the way Dr Dukan says.

No need to grease the pan at all.

But I try the slow way tomorrow as I said and let you know how I got on. ;)

i tried my first one today and it tasted yummy :D but i left my non stick frying pan at the new house when i came back yesterday and trying to do it in a normal boiling pan doesnt work :ashamed0005: half of it is welded to the bottom lol

Thank you so much for this!!

My first attempt at a galette was a disaster, but this morning it was perfect! It looked like a pancake so I put some lemon juice and splenda on it and it is delicious!!

Thank you again. :)

I'm reposting this from another thread, as thought it might be an idea to have it in here.

Since we've so many people just joined us I thought it might help, since everyone's first attempt is a disaster I think. You need a REALLY GOOD non stick pan. Don't worry about seperating your egg - just mix with 1.5 tbsp oatbran if you're in attack, 2 if in cruise, 1 tbsp sweetner & 1 tbsp fromage frais or quark and perhaps some flavouring (a shake of cinnamon or few drops of oil and alcohol free vanilla essence).

A savoury version would be the same without the sweetener and adding dried herbs/spices for flavour.

With your pan on the smallest ring on the lowest heat pour in your mixture and shake it around a bit to flatten and spread it out. Set a timer for no less than 10 minutes and then go away and forget about it. When your timer goes off gently edge a spatula in one side, bring it round the edges and your galette should lift up off the pan. You can flip it now and give it another 5 - 8 minutes to finish it off.

It takes a little practice but once you've got the technique the galettes are brilliant!

tried again today with a new non stick pan and it was almost perfect :)

just made this for the first time - delicious!!!
Thankyou

Am in cruise - I use one egg, 2tblsp oat bran, 2tablsp ff fromage frais, splenda and allspice - it's delicious - I then top it with another dollop of the fromage frais again mixed with splenda, allspice and sometimes a tblsp of gogi berries. Yum. It never ever tastes like diet food to me - simply scrummy.

I added a sprinlke of Garam Masala to mini gallettes yesterday. They were a really nice savoury version. Sometimes they stick in the pan and sometimes not. I think the trick is, "Don't wash the pan afterwards!" Just give it a rub with dry kitchen roll.

I know you posted this ages ago, but, THANK YOU Emmma!!!!!! I tried it yesterday and it was fabbo! I have been struggling with oatbran since the beginning, needless to say my first galette was inedible and so was my second, at which point I gave up in favour of mixing with ff yog. So this was a revelation yesterday.... Sweet, pancakey lovelyness, I smeared it with a tiny amount of vanilla yog and a mere sprinkling of sweetener and scoffed the lot :):):):):)

As my 12 year old would say 'Nom nom nom!'

Back