France anyone?

Hello, I'm a 'kind of' frenchie - I live just over the border in Switzerland near Basel, but I used to live in France nad often shop there now.

The Leclerc 'fry light' is perhaps the most exciting food thing iu've head in a while (i don't get out much...)

I buy a lot of dairy in France because their 0% yogurts are so good and most of them are free (activia for example).

A couple more products I've remembered.
Maiile make a thick balsamic vinegar called "velours de balsamique" which as far as I can work out is free. See pic here http://www.libertyachts.com/media/c...ac829d4b2a95984a/v/e/velour_balsam_maille.jpg
It's quite pricey, but goes a long way - I just drizzle it on salad, no need for any oil.

Elle & Vire make some soft cheese cubes that are 0% fat. http://4.bp.blogspot.com/_PWGbBdi_O.../SobUPF_4Mrs/s1600/CF+2x75+0%25+3D-716140.jpg
They do a natural and a garlic one.

A couple of fab dip recipes:

For the basic dip:
2-3 carrés topped up with 0% fromage blanc to 100g (use the garlic or the natural ones)
50g fat free natural yoghurt

Then add:
For garlic & herb dip - an extra clove of garlic if using the garlic carrés, maybe 2 if using the plain ones, and a handful of chives. A squeeze of lemon juice and season to taste.

For tzaziki - peel half a cucumber and scoop out the seeds. Coarsely grate it and press into a seive to remove any excess liquid. Add some fresh chopped mint (or a teaspoon of mint sauce, no sugar added), a squeeze of lemon juice and season to taste;

These are so creamy nobody will ever know they're fat free.

I love the Maille balsamic. - we've pretty much always got a bottle on the go. It seeme too much to hope for that it's free though?!

I can't see anything in the ingredients that would be highly calorific - it consists of just "moûts de raisin" which is grape must (see here Must - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia ) and thickening agents. So even if you sinned it as per fruit juice, you use so little as to make in negligeable. The thickening agents are probably what you'd find in any low calorie dressings.

I've never counted it!

Hi
Just wanted to introduce myself - I'm in France as well and have just started SW online so really interested to read the info on here for us lucky people living here in France!

Looking forward to sharing info and losing weight :D

Hi I am a demi Francophile lol. I live half the time in England and half in France. I am about to start slimming world next week so would love to join your French group girlies

Welcome everyone! It's fairly easy doing Slimming World in France, as there isn't much pre-prepared food to distract us and (for me at least) very few takeaways where I live in the Normandy countryside. Just need to steer clear of the pastries and hold back on the vin! I'm a total cheese addict and have been known to have cheese as all 4 HEXs on a green day! I'm currently pushing the boundaries, as I'm now maintaining, which means increasing my HEXs until I find my ideal balance. So I'm tending towards EE days with an extra HEX cheese allowance, or totally cheesing out on Green :D

hi I am followin SW in france too and would love some tips too
I'll post mine as I find them, best brand, products..
bonne chance à toutes

that would be so great but at least we've got this group!
I've lost 2lbs this week so I'm on little cloud!!
hope this week is brilliant for everyone :cool:

hello france
I am struggling a bit finding low syns or free food with the french brands. Anyone got ideas for breakfast? Would love the help
hoping everybody is doing well :)

Hi, yes it's hard to find the branded goods - each time I go back to the UK I go into Sainsburys or Tescos & wander round in awe at the range of things like Muller lights / flavoured cottage cheese etc!

so, breakfast: I'm a cereal person & you can certainly get the following in the large supermarkets such as Geant or Carrefour:
Weetabix
Chocolate weetabix
Porridge
All bran
Fruit & fibre
Muesli

There are probably others too, this is what I can recall from the top of my head.

I also buy activia 0% fat / sugar yogurts & also Taileform(?) yogurts from their 0 range.

All these make a good breakfast especially with some fruit.

thanks for the tips I'll get some next time shopping. I do miss the muller light they are so nice.

through the roof high as it is basically goose fat filled with more goose fat.
But as it is absolutely gorgeous I would indulge without hesitating!then forget about syns for a whole week lol!

Mmmm, I thought it might be, but it is gorgeous. I find it hard to resist, particularly accompanied with a glass of Sauternes. So guess that's how I got to needing SW in the first place :p

Hey, just found this elsewhere on the net (I assume it's still relevant):

"...I put the nutritional data I found on this site

http://www.nutritiondata.com/facts/poultry-products/917/2

into the calculator with red day free allowance of liver it comes out at 5 syns per 28g

without any free allowance it comes out at 6.5 syns per 28g"

Last edited:
Call me un-PC too, but I adore foie gras. My father-in-law is a retired charcutier and does his own, which is to die for.

Ok, here's my little list of French goodies.

For breakfast:
I ditto the cereals. I have substituted supermarket's own brand "fruits et fibres" for Kelloggs. Most supermarkets do them.

Wholemeal bread - a hexb protion is 57g. I have found wholemeal muffins in both Leclerc and Carrefour Market, which weigh in at about that. Otherwise, 1.5 slices of Lidl's sliced wholemeal bread is 57g (you can have the full 2 slices and add a syn or two to compensate - frankly, I have always eaten the full 2 slices and just counted as a hex)

French toast - use a hexb portion of 2 slices of wholemeal bread. Whisk an egg or 2 in a flattish dish big enough to take a slice of bread. Add a little sweetner and some cinnamon. Dip the bread in to coat both sides. Heat some frylight (or similar, see my post above re Leclerc oil) in a frying pan and fry the "toasts" until golden and fluffy. This is gorgeous served with fruit and/or yoghurt/fromage frais.

The classic boiled egg & soldiers is also SW friendly. I put marmite (free) on my soldiers.

I always start my day with fruit, either a fruit salad - I prepare enough to last a few days - or a grapefruit, grapes, melon or strawberries, depending on the season

HEXAs

There are lots of reduced fat cheeses available. it's just a question of whether they are A or B choices (on green)

HEXB's (green)

• Goat's cheese - Carrefour discount do a low-fat goat's cheese called a mi-chèvre. I count it the same as any reduced fat UK cheese, so 42g rather then the 28g. (These amounts might now have increased slightly)
  • Ricotta also a b choice (I love chopped dried apricots in mine)
  • Pagen Krisprolls are available here - I don't like crispbreads, but do like the wholemeal rolls. But Pagen's rolls are soo expensive, so I substitute them where possible. If I want to substitute anything that is a hex, I look up the nutritional value of the one that is a HEX and then check the values on other brands, such as supermerket's own. For example, Pagen rolls are 45 calories each and have 8% fibre. I have regularly bought Lidl's own, which are 7% fibre, treated them as 3 for a hexb and got to target doing so!

Free stuff

Apart from fruit, veg and the 0% dairy stuff, this is the hard part of doing SW, as it is difficult to classify pre-prepared things. Lidl often do "British" promotions and their baked beans are good and I suppose free?
Crabsticks are a great snack on red.
Flavoured yoghurts - make sure they're 0% fat AND 0% sugar added. Unfortunately 0% fat flavoured Fromage frais tends to have sugar added, so needs to be synned.

Syns

Use the 20 cals = 1 syn rule and you won't go far wrong

Low syn products - Bridelight low fat (15%) spread

Eating out
Not easy! But I find most restaurants will do a steak with haricots verts rather than frîtes if you ask. Ok, there will probably be butter on both, but it won't ruin things. Crème caramel or crème brulée aren't too bad for dessert. Otherwise, eating Italian, go for the tomato-based sauces rather then creamy ones.

I'm sure I'll come up with more things, but that's enough for now :D

Back