GREEN DAYS ONLY - systemas diary

Just got up and don't fancy it out there - thought I was in UK. It has been lashing it down since Saturday teatime and now along with the rain we have very high winds - not looking forward to the walk to the gym but there is no other way there. :eek: The joys of leaving the car in UK.

(Many years ago the Costa del Sol used to be called Costa del Viento, the Windy Coast but was changed for tourist reasons.)

Just found this on the net and it made me smile - ------
Spain’s climate isn’t as good as many visitors think. When the winter weather is warm and dry, then great, but it can be cool and wet for weeks. It is possible to see visitors from the UK wearing vests and shorts in a stiff breeze and squally rain, seemingly unwilling to accept it can ever be anything but sunny. This can seem to be odd when locals and ex-pats sit huddled in coats and fleecesUnfortunately Spanish property is not designed for cold weather. Spanish homes are great in the summer, keeping out the heat very efficiently… but in the winter they are like fridges. North facing properties, open plan design, marble floors and air bricks result in wearing several sweaters to keep warm. Heating and air conditioning are now seen as a necessity to year round living.Are we ever happy? We do like to whinge about the weather…where ever we are ---------

Oh dear doesn't sound so clever out there, almost as bad as here :( I hope you don't get too wet x

Luckily the rain stopped about 10 mins before I left but the wind was very cold - my friend came to the gym in a Parka with a faux fur lined hood and big collar.:D

Evening,hope you've had a good day :)

Fine thank you after the bad start - thank goodness the sun came out and I could walk without getting wet.

SUNDAY 9TH FEBRUARY

BREAKFAST

Porridge - fruit - yogurt -- hex b

LUNCH

Left over pie from last night with poached egg and salad - mayo and quark
Jelly - fruit - yogurt

DINNER

1-BRUSSELSPROUTCURRY-CHICKPEACHUTNEY-CAULIFLOWERANDMUSHROOMRICE.jpg

Brussel sprout curry - chickpea chutney - mushroom and cauliflower rice - hex b for oil - just 2 tsp

SNACK - 2 ryvita and cheese -- hex a

TOTAL - 1 - hex a -- 2 hex b - syns - mayo 1/2 - jelly 1/2 - drinks 4 - ryvita 3 = 8

REST DAY - no steps

If it is the SW one - it is vile :eek: I love mushy peas so thought I would try it - never again, what a wast of mushy peas. :D

CHICKPEA CHUTNEY 2 syns for oil – 1.5 syns for cornflour – makes 2 good portions.

JAR CHICKPEAS DRAINED AND RINSED OR 200GMS SOAKED AND COOKED–
1 TSP OIL
1 LARGE ONION – CHOPPED
2 CLOVES GARLIC – FINELY CHOPPED
1 TSP TURMERIC
CHILLI TO TASTE
¼ TSP FENUGREEK SEEDS
1 TSP CUMIN
1 TSP CORIANDER
3 CARDAMOMS - CRUSHED
5 CM PIECE OF CINNAMON
4 CLOVES
1 TBP LEMON JUICE
300 MLS STOCK
1 TSP CORNFLOUR
2 TSP GARAM MASALA

METHOD
Heat the oil and add the onions and fry until soft then add the garlic and cook for a couple of minutes. Add cinnamon, fenugreek seeds,cloves and cardamoms and mix.
Add the turmeric, chilli, cumin and coriander and stir well and cook for a couple of minutes over a moderate heat.
Add the chickpeas and stir until the peas are coated with the spices.
Squeeze in the juice of a lemon together with the stock and bring to a boil and continue to cook gently for 5 minutes.
Mix the corn flour with a little cold water and add to the saucepan. Cook for a few minutes then sprinkle on the garam masala and continue to cook for another 5 minutes.

You can use Frylite if you want but I prefer oil to cook spices

Last edited:
The chickpea chutney sounds lovely, another one of your recipes to try :) And as for sprout curry that sound gorgeous, love sprouts. I agree with you about the mushy pea curry, a big fat YUCK!! I made it once, never again. x x

I will put the Brussel Sprout curry recipe up in a few mins when I find it - wish I knew how to use the Samsung Pad properly as my recipes are hiding in there somewhere. :)

BRUSSEL SPROUT CURRY (KULAMBU) 2 syns for oil

1 ½ CUPS PREPARED BRUSSEL SPROUTS
1 TSP OIL
1 ½ CUPS BRUSSEL SPROUTS
¼ TSP ASAFOETIDA
6 CURRY LEAVES
½ TSP FENUGREEK SEEDS
1 TSP MUSTARD SEEDS
1 TSP URAD DAL
½ CUP CHOPPED ONION
½ CUP CHOPPED TOMATO
¼ TSP TURMERIC POWDER
2 TSP SAMBHAR POWDER
1-CUP CHOPPED TOMATOES – (blend a little) or use PASSATA
1 TSP SALT
¼ TSP TAMARIND PASTE (lemon juice will do – 1tbsp)

METHOD
Heat the oil and add the asafoetida, curry leaves, fenugreek seeds, mustard seeds and urad dal. Cover and cook until seeds pop and dal is golden brown – about 30 seconds.
Add the onion, tomato and turmeric and cook for a few minutes – stirring so it does not stick.
Next put in the sambhar powder, tomato sauce and salt along with 2 cups of warm water and bring to a boil then simmer for 10 minutes. Put in the Brussels and cook for about another 10 mins until the sprouts are tender – do not over cook.

Have used 250gms frozen Brussels when out of season and they were fine.

This is from my favourite Indian Cookbook – Healthy South Indian Cooking by Alamelu Vairavan and Patricia Marquardt – nice Valentines present from someone J

Last edited:
MONDAY 10TH FEB

Breakfast - porridge - fruit - yogurt -- hex b

LUNCH

2 poached eggs and baked beans

Jelly - fruit - yogurt

DINNER

Cauliflower and Courgette Provencal - hex a for cheese - hex b for bread (Cauliflower and Courgettes in tomato sauce topped with breadcrumbs and grated cheese)
Quinoa and mixed mushrooms

1-CAULIFLOWERPROVENCAL-QUINOA-MIXEDMUSHROOMS.jpg

SNACK - 2 ryvita with cheese and pickle - hex a

TOTAL - 2 hex a - 2 hex b -- syns - drinks 4 - Ryvita and pickle 4 - yogurt 1/2 - oil 2 - total 10.5

STEPS - 12,927 - 1 hour pilates -- 45 mins aqua

Last edited:
Morning panic - all this money for internet and they turned it off last night. Thankfully got it sorted now but the thought of no internet as well as no TV :eek::eek::eek:

We lost BBC channels a few days ago then yesterday we lost the rest of them so now reduced to watching Sky news and shopping channels for the next few weeks.

This is for I-am-plankton - This is the Vegan Food we found in Vietnam - we could not believe it when we saw it that it was not meat. There are some more pics on Page 58

zzz-VEGANLUNCH2_zps2e63a8e8.jpg

Last edited:
Back