Hello

RA_lady

Hi :)

Just a quick post to briefly introduce myself. I am 43 years old and have had weight issues since childhood. I have some health issues that could be eased (but sadly, not cured) by losing some weight. I currently weigh 20 stone 2lb but started the new year at 21 stone exactly, so I have managed (with great difficulty) to lose nearly a stone so far this year. However, due to having rheumatoid arthritis and other autoimmune connective tissue diseases I have to take various medications a lot of which make me gain weight/stop me losing weight.

I recently read Pauline Quirk's book about her weight loss journey with LighterLife and it really got me thinking...
Trouble is, at the moment, due to my health, I am unable to work and cannot afford LighterLife. After a bit of research into VLCD I came across your site and I have been popping in for a quick read over the last few weeks. Today I finally plucked up the courage to register myself and add my own post.

Also, whilst doing my own research, I came across LipoTrim which, unless I have misunderstood, is similar to LL and should be able to get it through my GP. I went to my GP to ask, feeling very hopeful and she told me she had never heard of it! :sigh:

So now I am still researching, still reading this forum and trying to find the right diet for me. I have tried Weight Watcher and Slimming World and neither work for me; to be fair to them, I don't think they are necessarily bad diets as I have seen a lot of people succeed with them, but I don't think taking steroids and not being able to exercise are taken into account! :rolleyes:

What I wanted to ask is have I misunderstood LipoTrim or should my GP have heard of it?

I really need to address the issue of my weight now as RA has destroyed my knee joint, causing osteoarthritis and left me needing a joint replacement, and they won't even consider replacing the joint until I have lost some weight. So I find myself in a catch 22 situation...

Thanks for taking the time to read my post.

Tracy :)

Welcome Tracy:welcome2:

I got this from the Lipotrim website regarding participating GP surgeries...

The Lipotrim GP programme is only available from participating GP surgeries. Any doctor can assist with Lipotrim if he/she is willing. Before a GP can assist, however, the surgery must request a medical information pack from us. Unexpected packs usually are discarded. It is up to the doctor whether he/she wishes to help you with Lipotrim. If you doctor agrees to treat you with Lipotrim, we need to be contacted by the doctor on our freephone 0800-413735 indicating the intention to treat you. Alternatively you may want to consider the Lipotrim Pharmacy programme. Click here to find a participating pharmacy near you.
Whilst any doctor can assist with Lipotrim if he/she is willing, however there are some who, on a private basis( click for list) will accept patients for Lipotrim who are not registered with the practice.

Lipotrim is a very strict diet and you would need to check with your doctor to see if it would be suitable for you with the medication you are on.

Cambridge diet also does TFR (Total Food Replacement) as well as different plans/steps where you can have a small meal and you do it through a consultant it's cheaper that Lighter Life but has similar shakes but without the CBT... slightly more expensive than Lipotrim but offers more variety.

Exante and Slim n Save also do TFR and offer various plans with food and you do it online.

Regardless of which vlcd you go for it would be best to get your own doctor to monitor you as sometimes medication needs to be adjusted as you lose weight.

Here are some links to the most popular vlcd's on here...

Lipotrim Forum

Cambridge Diet Forum

Lighter Life Forum

Exante

Slim And Save

If you need any help please ask
smile.gif

Hi Mini,

Thanks for the welcome and the info. I am still undecided but I am sure reading the forums will help me come to a decision.

I am monitored very closely by my GP surgery and by the hospital as I am on very strong chemo drugs so they see me every few weeks and always check my weight so I am not too worried about the weight to drug ratio, as it will be picked up on pretty much straight away as my weight changes.

The one thing I am sure of is that I am in the right mindset to make permanent changes now so I will continue to read and to ask questions to help me make the right choice for me.

Thanks again,

Tracy :)

Back