Here comes the BOOM!

Thanks Kelpie :)

Bluebell, I’m terrible for planning, as in sometimes I plan so much I actual fail to implement :D Totally agree, good to have an idea of what you’re going to do post VLCD and how and what the effects will be so you’re forarmed with the knowledge.

YW, nice to see you again. You’re probably right about the food and if ever it got to the point where I was confident that those reading my diary could handle it, I’d possibly post the odd thing (I was dubious mentioning the coleslaw). I think it’s more out of respect for everyone here, I don’t want to put something in someone’s mind when they can’t have it, if you know what I mean? :)

So this morning after a UD. 10st 8lbs. I have four UDs in a row including yesterday. Worried? Yup. Cautious? Yup. In control? At the moment, yes. Confident this WOE will still show me a loss next Friday even if only a 1lb? Not yet, which is my main concern. Still going with it though.

Yesterday’s:
Cals in 2532
Cals out 2259

The first day it’s been the wrong way round. I was conservative with my portions. I ate what I might have eaten before except with portion control. I can be sure that I was easily putting away 5k plus cals while putting on weight. Makes me feel a little relieved that I know my body can burn fuel efficiently because of how little weight I put on considering how much I was eating at the beginning of the year.

I still haven’t smoked so it’s been just over a week. Still downplaying it as thinking too much and I’ll probably just cave :)

If I get time, I might try the 30 Day Shred DVD. No gym scheduled for today. I do have a kids party to go to and a lot of housework. My aim is to burn 2k plus. Saturdays are generally the only day I don’t do a lot and historically I burn around 1600. Forcing myself to do the housework will probably be enough to keep me to my goal so the DVD may not be necessary. I’d only back out because I have two gym classes tomorrow and I don’t want to be too sore for that. We’ll see how today plays out.

Hope you all have a good weekend and keep cool in the sunshine. No doubt I’ll be back tomorrow with more fun facts about my daily weighing and calorie info 🤓🙄

You are doing so well, Bunny, managing both loss with real food, your different commitments and not smoking! Wont say more on the latter as I know what it's like but I am so happy for you!
Id personally be okay with you telling us what you're eating as I think it would be a great prep for life on the other side of the plan.
I cannot tell what sort of calorific deficit you're going for? Or is this not how your plan works
2500 calories in seems a lot to me - but then again my baseline intake to maintain is (used to be?) 1200-1500 while my output would be about 2000ish, back in the day. And that would merely help me maintain :/ its possible that what those calories were made out of mattered...im not gonna keep an eye on this one until im at least 2st lighter but its uself to know more about how you're doing it.

I’m off to the gym shortly Alecto but later I will give a brief overview of how I’m hoping this WOE will work for me and if no one else complains, I will add in the sort of foods I eat when I get a chance :)

So this morning 10st 9.2lbs. I figure I am aiming to not reach the heights of this time last week in order to establish a loss pattern but perhaps it’s toi early to say? Weekends will also be higher calorie and more junky than UDs in the week. Unless of course that doesn’t work for me and then I will rethink.

Yesterday’s:
Cals in 2546
Cals out 1991 - annoyingly about a flight of stairs short of my 2k target - not even that. I was asleep though and could do nothing about it.

Cals will be equally high today but my burn will also be higher.

Have a lovely Sunday all :)

So as an overview of what I’m doing. Yes, this works in deficit. Two fast days a week of 500 cals or less and “normal” levels for the other five days. This doesn’t mean going crazy. However, I’m naturally greedy and I don’t want to feel deprived for my whole life so I need to mimic reality the best I can to make this sustainable. I can always tweak here and there.

I’m not being careful with macros but may do later on. My carbs are awfully high but I’m not aiming for keto. If my training plan requires more protein then I will do it for that but not for anything else. The desire has to be there. I’m not a saint and I eat what I like within reason. Overall I probably operate 60% saint 40% sinner rule which goes against the standard 80/20. We will see how this goes.

My totals for Sunday to Saturday (not my actual measured week but just to provide a snapshot for you all - my measured week is Friday to Thursday)

Cals in 12417
Cals burned 15240

This gives me a week’s deficit of 2823. Not quite a pound over the week but it’s not meant to be a fast weighloss plan and I feel zero deprivation. As I’ve taken a Sunday to Saturday snapshot and as I’m only into my second week, I can’t give the ultimate run down but it does provide a real illustration. Also, I exercise a lot so these aren’t just movement calories burned. My lean mass will increase so I may appear to lose less. I will be happy with a loss or a STS on this WOE as it really doesn’t feel like a diet despite using it at the moment as a means to lose weight. When at goal I will still fast for two days but just allow myself more freedom on UD.

The plan is to never calorie count but as I’ve come from a VLCD and because I’m a geek that likes to analyse, I am doing just that for at least the first few weeks. I’ll see after that.

After one month, I’ll try and show my daily ups and downs so everyone can see the downward shift (assuming I’m successful). I can also post my spreadsheet and chart which I input to which might be helpful to some. I will also retake my measurements at this time which may be more telling but bear in mind I’m **** at taking accurate measurements :D

If anyone wants me to post anything specific, do let me know. I’m happy to be an open book experiment so we can all see where I do well and where I fail. This is all a learning curve for me :)

Last edited:
There’s was something I was going to add to this yesterday but I’ve since forgotten. It was a significant thing relating to the WOE - bah, totally gone!

10st 9.6lbs this morning. Creeping back up there and I still have another UD today. On top of that, there’s a leaving do after work and I will be going. Not a mad one (Monday night after all) but a couple of drinks (alcohol stalls me without fail. I’m better of not drinking but I’ve largely knocked it on the head and refuse to go tea total). There is also a meal to contend with. I’ve been more conservative with my day time food which is packed and ready to go. I just need to make sensible choices at the restaurant. If this was UD # one of the week I’d probably go hell for the leather.

My weekend of UDs were higher than my cals out. I’m not going to worry as I’m not even meant to be counting and I imagine if I’d not have recorded it all, I would have eaten more.

Cals in 2535
Cals out 2296

I really boost my cal burn on a Sunday with the double workout but then totally lazy for the rest of the day. I need to make a conscious effort just to move more generally but that will come with time (I hope).

Have a great day all :)

I’ve been thinking about this WOE on the way into work and it took a while for the penny to drop. I was wondering how it works if I spend the majority of the week at a weight that’s higher than I would like. Then it finally dawned that obviously there will reach a point where the majority is my ideal weight and for two days a week I will dip under it. Dear me, shows it doesn’t take a VLCD for my brain to work slowly!! My faith is now restored though as I started to wonder why I was doing this.

Trying to input what I think I may eat tonight. I’m being careful but not too restrictive. My cals will probably be around 2500k again but my burn will be nowhere near it as I haven’t moved from my desk today. The first two weeks on 5:2 were always going to be unknown but I think I may have a gain or STS this week. I’ve had four high UDs in a row. Let’s see how higher cals in than cals out works on this plan. I have a two week holiday in September which I plan to fast two days a week but every other day of the holiday will be a high UD, this week will help determine if I should expect a gain over my holiday but then to be fair, I think that is likely even with the DDs. I will be joining the local gym if possible so the only difference from being at home will be eating out more regularly and eating unrestricted. I am definitely being more mindful of what I eat right now, even if I’m not necessarily denying myself.

I see a last minute dive onto Exante in my future if I don’t lose the excess by my surgery date ;)

Sorry for the rambles. My diary, my rules I guess but still feel the need to apologise when I just seem to go on and on.....

Last edited:
In case I forget the link:

I just found www.eatthismuch.com which has a calculator and offers menu suggestions based on total daily calories and the number of meals you want to be able to eat. Good for anyone but especially if doing fast days with set calories.

that's a bril site bunny. thank you!

Okay, 10st 12.2lbs. Restaurants have a lot to answer for! Not panicking but this isn’t quite the high I was expecting. On a down day today.

This WOE is really flexible but a social event and beauty appointments have messed up my gym sessions which means I need to do them all on a DD. Not sure how that’s going to go so considering 30 Day Shred instead if I feel too weak tonight.

Obviously really hoping that by Friday I will at least get a STS. I have a few ideas on what I can tweak and will recap on Friday depending on the outcome.

I was relatively reserved last night. Three vodka and slimline tonics (I will suffer from that though as weight sticks when I drink) prawn starter and chicken Greek salad. I could taste the salt which will be some of this issue. No dessert ordered but did have two mouthfuls of someone else’s. Fingers crossed this DD does me good and tomorrow I’m looking better on the scale.

Cals in 2601
Cals out 1965

Short again of my 2k aim. Another desk bound day and then dinner out so not sure what more I could expect.

Have a great day everyone :)

Another interesting link. http://physiqonomics.com/eating-too-much/

Don’t click if you are sensitive to swearing - there are a number of mofos in the text!

Most of this I know but there’s an interesting section on metabolism. There’s so much info out there, who knows what’s right anymore? What I do know is this does explain, in part, why I don’t put on as much weight as I should using the simple in/out calculation. It doesn’t actually give me an answer though.

I’m even more looking forward to how this experiment pans out as it will really tell me personally how my body responds to certain foods, quantities, days, times, exercise and all sorts. I’ve never been on a ‘plan’ that offers to reveal so much! :)

Article SO spot on!

Another DD completed. I feel no lighter and extremely bloated, as if I’m due, but I’m not. Feeling a little uneasy about the significant increase on the scales. Did some reading and it can take up to a month for weight to settle and for losses to be clear on 5:2. I do also realise my cals have been a touch too high the last few days with no fast day until today. I will stick to my guns for one month and go from there. No point in giving in as I see this as the only way to live my life so I want it to work, just need to find my own sweet spot.

Will report tomorrow as usual with weight and cals info :)

Morning all. 10st 9.2lbs this morning. Not a huge drop but better than nothing. UD today, DD tomorrow then weigh in. I don’t think this week will be a good one but that’s life.

Cals in 471
Cals out 1973

What is it about not hitting my 2k - I even went to the gym and did back and biceps. It’s got to be work related. I need to figure out how to keep moving even when I’m chained to me desk. Maybe this week is just unusual? Is it the impact of giving up smoking and my heart rate decreasing across the day?

I have the usual carby day planned and no gym as that’s the way this week is working out. Cereal, fruit, ready meal, yoghurt, jacket potato and salad for dinner with ham.

I’ve started to compile a list of breakfasts, lunches, dinners and snacks for quick reference and planning. They are all geared towards lazy cooks. Let’s see if that changes over time too. In the mean time, I’ll just keep adding to that :)

Have a good one all :)

Hi gymbunny, I've been reading your diary and just wanted to say thanks for all your posts - I have not long started exante and my starting weight and long term goals are similar to your own, so it's been very motivating and inspiring to see your progress! It's good to know as well that there is life after total solution as I was wondering how to eventually transition 😂
My friend had a similar issue when she gave up smoking, she didn't see any movement on scales for a couple of weeks after then says she had a huge drop in 3rd week - not sure if it's the shock to the system initially? Good luck anyway, you're doing amazing! 😊

Thanks Centime. What are your weight stats and how are you feeling on Exante?

Interesting to hear about your friend. I take it she was dieting before quitting hence she was expecting to see a weekly loss but didn’t? Can i ask what diet she was following? It would be nice if that happened to me but I think I have probably overdone the cals slightly, carb rich foods and also the VLCD switch so I may just have to suck it up :)

Good luck with your weightloss :)

Hi, I'm feeling good so far thanks, my top tip so far is adding a shot of coffee to the shakes, seems to keep me going and more people friendly lol! My starting weight on Exante was 11st7 I lost 3 lbs in week one and have lost 2 so far this week. I am only 5 foot 3 so aiming for 8 st12 ultimately.

Yes my friend was on slimming world for a while but switched to Exante 5:2 plan, she was on it for 3 weeks then decided she might as well quit her smoking too for max transformation- she said weeks 4 and 5 were showing 1.5lb lost then she lost a lot the next week. She is still not smoking so making good progress - it's hard doing both though, so I think you're both very brave,it will be worth it!

That coffee tip seems to be helpful to many. I never really went for the shakes - I’m too lazy to shake and wash up afterwards lol! You’re doing really well so far. Do you have any idea when you might switch to something else?

That’s useful to know about your friend. Thank you and well done to her!

Meanwhile, my Fitbit, at 19:00hrs, with no gym visit due, is reading a burn of 1477 - WT actual F?! I get a similar result when I sit on my backside all day so really quite surprised and mildly annoyed. I did take a look at my resting heart rate and since quitting smoking it has reduced from 72 to 60 and will probably go down further. Part of me wants to take up smoking again - if it wasn’t for my vanity and fear of ageing like a pear overnight, I probably would! I will continue this week as normal just to get the lay of the land,but something needs to be done as I really want to be hitting 2k daily and 2.5k plus on gym days. I might need to plan a walk at lunch time (not sustainable in bad weather and I won’t enjoy it) and maybe doing a circuit of the office every hour but I could look a bit odd. Any suggestions on how I can build my burn? Does anyone rate those pedals you can place under your desk? I’m not sure they actually do anything as you’re still seated.

As always, I’ll report in tomorrow with cals in and out and my morning weight. Final DD tomorrow before final weigh in. Not feeling any more positive than I did on Monday but it will be a week of small yet important lessons learned.

Have a great evening all :)

So 10st 8.8lbs today. Probably too much to ask to lose 3lbs on this DD to reach where I was last week but here we go anyway.

Cals in 2125
Cals out 1833

Started looking up how to burn cals at work and none the wiser as most I wouldn’t be seen dead doing.

Have a great day all :)

Back