IF AT FIRST YOU DON'T SUCCEED, try try try again and again (and again...)

ahh interesting x

It talked also about two muscles:
your "resistance muscle"; and
your "giving in muscle".
Each time you use either muscle, you strengthen it.

I like that.

oh me too jaqys x

Now there's an interesting comparison - money.

I am EXCELLENT with money... I often (try to) liken the two to try to see why I can't be the same with food!

ie with money =
- if outgoings don't exceed incomings ---> not overdrawn
- if outgoings don't exceed incomings + there's leftover ---> savings

so with calories = same thing should work

- if outgoings (normal calorie expenditure + exercise) exceed incomings (food)
--> weight loss

- if outgoings (normal calorie expenditure + exercise) do not exceed incomings (food) --> weight gain

yes, how to balance your bodies chequebook is what to find out, how much food, how much exercise.

Thing is its easy to see how much things cost, you rarely buy something without knowing.
When dieting you make sure you check everything but when not its easy to underestimate the calories/fat/carbs of what you're eating, especially when out or carb bombed at work.

In reality, sad though it might sound, I expect I know the calorific value of each and every (fresh) food on the market... but I put my blinkers on, stick my fingers in my ear, shout "I can't hear you" and just don't care at some stage of the proceedings...

This CBT process is good for me as, while often it states the darned obvious(!), it's often things I haven't really ever bothered to think about...

(If we forget Dukan for a second, as with his diet treats just can't happen because of ketosis)
but... why do I consider the whole day ruined if I have ONE treat. It would be more logical for me to CREDIT MYSELF for stopping at one. And it would be doubtful that one would cause a weight increase. So on the positive side the CREDIT I give myself for stopping and the warm glow I would feel therefrom would easily outweigh the guilt feeling of having eaten whatever which usually sends me into a binge!

Must reread that regularly!!

Its like they always say, one mars bar won't make you gain weight......20 will.

One treat which satisfies both a taste craving and the psychological aspect is good if its just a treat. I know it can be dodgy ground but in theory if you have a craving and you have a little of that thing you'll stop craving it. If you let the craving build and keep thinking about that food, somewhere along the line you will end up overeating.

You're absolutely right there Becky... and dodgy ground indeed... but reading your suggestion didn't FRIGHTEN me as, I admit, one thing DID in the book when I was flicking through...

Re HUNGER and the need to become less afraid of HUNGER...

"HUNGER isn't an EMERGENCY"... we can be hungry and wait...

<Hunger DOES frighten me, I admit it. Tomorrow I'm invited to a friend's lunchtime BBQ in the country, she's hopelessly disorganised, and the thought makes me scared in case she leaves me hungry and gets nibbles out! so I'm taking crabsticks with me, just in case!>

Anyway, the technique to become less afraid of HUNGER is to let yourself get HUNGRY... really HUNGRY... yet secure in the knowledge that food is coming in <I don't know how long you have to leave it>.

I admit to you all... that that task will be one I won't enjoy...

Indeed, everyone is different but this week by telling myself I can eat whatever I want I've been good. For example at work there is a sweet machine. I told myself, "if I'm hungry I can go get some chocolate but not now as I'm not hungry" then about mid afternoon I got a sweet craving, I could have got a choc bar but decided to have a hot chocolate instead (70 cals) which satisfied the craving.

I keep thinking "I can have that but right now I'm not in the mood"

Weirdly on Wednesday I bought a muffin and wanted to eat it all afternoon but I was saving it for my evening alone at home as a little treat. I wish I hadn't bought it because when I was at home I wasn't hungry and I didn't want it but I still ate it! Very stupid indeed!

I find I'll be starving in work when it comes to lunchtime, but if I go out for a walk I know I'm still hungry but I also know I will have lunch when I get back to the office and I'm able to think carefully about what to buy for lunch. Often when I'm back in the office I don't feel as hungry!

Ahhh so you're already practising with your hunger... I put off breakfast as long as I can, feeling the hunger, but I tend to eat because it's "time" otherwise - as most of us have to with office jobs and times to respect...

I must learn to recognise HUNGER... and to stop eating when I'm no longer hungry...

I know that Sarah, for one, has already picked up on the need to do this and she was consciously not eating beyond her hunger which I know I do with this diet... because I've used and abused the word "unlimited" too often...

WARNING - NOT A DUKAN MENU

So today is a non Dukan day

Started with 6km fast walk...

Breakfast - Dukan muffins with smoked fish in the mixture <always has to be!>

Lunch - restaurant. Already chosen. Salad where you add five ingredients of your choice. Mine are salmon, taramasalata, smoked turkey pita (tiny), smoked salmon pita (tiny), coleslaw. No bread from the bread basket which will wink at me throughout the meal. No dessert. Will drink water.

mid-pm snack: Apple

Dinner - turkey <marinated in ginger, mustard, fromage frais> salad with my own fresh lettuce, beetroot, spring onions, tomatoes and market bought cucumber!
Dukan egg custard

Later if feeling edgy (when other half gets onto his "treats") - 2nd fruit.

The weekend plan is:

Saturday - to allow myself sausages tomorrow lunchtime (those homemade by myself and other half, and those bought by neighbours at local pork farmer's -- we're having a sausage tasting BBQ!) with whatever salad served with it. I'll stay off the bread inevitably served at a French BBQ! No dessert. No wine.
And 1 or 2 portions of fruit

Sunday - ditto re fruit.

Last thing before departure back to city - Perhaps ONE [treat* won't even set my mind off in that direction yet - guaranteed problem if I do].

Taramasalata. yak!
Well planned out Jo - is bbq your treat and what type of sausages are you making?

We made 20lbs of pure pork in May and froze them, so that's what we'll be having... (as OH used to be a butcher in the UK, we buy the "mix" at his ex-employer's when we're over... they're quite spicey).

Our friends are buying pork + herb ones from a local pork man...

Treat is kind of today and tomorrow lunches... (difficult as today it's a friend in town so I'm directing her to this restaurant as I know I can eat healthily there, and not feel deprived! We had previously said "sushi" which would have involved rice of course so I'm pleased the weather is back to "salad weather"!). And tomorrow cropped up after accepting this invitation - and the people are only there until Saturday evening so couldn't put it off another week.

I really only want ONE invitation/treat meal per week, to have a REAL dessert once a week (and have the previous two weeks) but this weekend, with two lunches, think best not!

Also, four weeks to holiday... and am eyeing a return to under 70K by then... (hopefully!)

mm the sausages sound fab Jo!
another holiday? coming over here ?

'fraid not... back to the house for a week.

It's the annual vide grenier of our village (literally "empty your attic; think "car boot sale" without cars!)... and so we'll be there with our stall of junk trying to make some euros!! haaaaa!

It's a tiny village and we make a point of participating in anything "organised" there to be fully integrated. Last year I think there were only about 15 stalls, so it got a bit boring being out ALL DAY (in drizzle!), but hey...

Then there'll be appointments with chimney sweep; man who delivers wood for our fire; one of the cats needs vaccinating then... and hopefully the second load of veggies will be ready if we timed it right!

I love being there... totally relaxing place (with English TV in the evenings!!! something we don't have in the city!)

Sarah is indeed "feeling" her hunger :) want to try and avoid binges so trying a few different methods of prevention :)

hope the head stuff's working out for you Jo xxx

Joanne, you're so focused. You know I'd have been at goal long ago if I could stop myself going off the rails. Dunno why I do that to myself? :sigh: I only wanna lose a measly 10lbs to get to 11.7 st. And can't seem to do it!! Grrrrr! Even now I'm fighting my inner devil that really wants chocolate even tho' I'm just after A huge feed of steak and salad. I know I'm not hungry but I still want it!!

I wish I could be focused at weekends too...

While CREDITing myself to not having binged, Saturday lunchtime at the barbecue I realised afterwards that I must have completely forgotten the concept "diet" because I simply relaxed and ate my way through everything I was given as normal... eagerly dipping my hand in and out of everything as per usual. DUH!

Once home, immediately I thought: "what can I have?"... so poured a mug of scalding tea down and went to visit a neighbour (who gave me biscuits - SOFT biscuits (grrrr!) which of course I ate!!). Back at the house, 35°C outside and COLD inside (we ended up lighting a fire!!), I greedily partook in a large bowl of icecream to accompany the numerous plums kindly neighbours thrust upon us...

And more of the same Sunday...

Why oh why...?

(By the way, plums are better than Senno!!)

So... mea culpa... as per usual... and Monday (AS USUAL) is another day and I'm no more likely to break my PP day than flap my flabby arms and fly home!!

Yours once focused and will be again!

Back