Its time to get smaller

I don't like the way all the grey stands up and sticks out. I think if I had straight hair I'd let it go naturally but not mad crazy curls.

Hi folks, had a crazy few days, wont be on here much in the next few days.. so busy at work and struggling to get time to do anything at the moment... Had an awful weekend, went to a bbq on sat, my cousin was 30... ate everything in sight.. drank wine (2 glasses and I never drink), yesterday I was so tired and I ate way too much food, im up 3lbs this morning on the scales... I deserve it.. official weigh in on Thursday so if I can get rid of those again by then I will be happy, hopefully they will be gone by the weekend. but its fine.. line is drawn under it. Back on track now, injured my ankle so running has been out for the past few days, so I am swimming a lot... Back swimming again this evening and then trying out a run in the morning.. fingers crossed my ankle will hold up.

Hope everyone is well xx

Orla love, these things happen - but you're sensibly just saying onwards and downwards, and I bet you whooshie away that small gain in no time.

Hope the ankle is ok x

Thanks suzie... I have accepted what's done is done... Old me would have eaten like a pig for the rest of the week, mainly out of anger at myself for eating so much.,.. but new me recognises that we are all human... and can slip up from time to time.. As long as I get back on track then that's the main thing.

Ankle was a lot better.. went for a swim last night, and then a 8km run/walk with a friend who is new to running, I think I could probably run the whole thing if I was by myself... She is away later in the week so I might give it a go. the only issue is that the roads we run on are rural roads on the edge of town and I don't think I would be comfortable going on my own so early in the morning... I am not fast enough to run away from trouble yet!!!

Last night swim was only ok... its a very small pool, only 15m, I usually do 100 lengths but only managed 75 last night.. pool was packed and there was very little room to swim... I am still feeling the effects of the weekends blowout, my digestive system gets very sluggish when I eat badly, hopefully it will fix itself soon.

Working overtime this evening so I brought my dinner into work with me, yummy veggie lasagne, had overnight oats and a banana this morning, and maybe a salad this evening when I get home from work. I am going to the gym at lunch to do some work with the personal trainer too so very busy day.. Might give the swim a miss this evening, or if I do go then I will only go for a short swim.

Have a great day everyone xx

Morning everyone..

What a beautiful morning :)

Been a good day so far and its not even 9am! Those few pounds I put on last weekend have now gone. Im the same weight as I was last Thursday, so thrilled with that. Official weigh in this morning. My stomach has also settled at last after all the alcohol on Saturday (2 glasses :eek: ) .

Went up to the gym yesterday at lunch and met my trainer, she was running late so I went on the treadmill for 15 minutes, and ran the fastest I have ever ran, 10km/h.. my aim is to do a 5km in less than 30 minutes so I would need to be able to run at 10km/h to achieve it... so I was thrilled... I will get under 30 minutes by the end of the summer... went through the plan again with her. Ankle was sore last night so I went up to the pool, did 50 lengths and then relaxed in the sauna.. its a lot better today, I am going for a walk with a colleague this morning, and then to the gym tonight, doing weights and resistance training and then going to do a swim.

Food for today, overnight oats, lasagne, and then an egg salad sandwich for my tea.. im working late again so I am having my dinner at lunch...

Have a wonderful day xx

Last edited:
that little gain has gone!! STS as last week, 17stone 3lbs this morning, same as last week.. so after the weekend I had I am happy with that.

went to the pool again last night, there was some big soccer match on last night so a lot of the usual crew were missing. Had the pool to myself for most of it.. Did 1.5km last night but I think I am going to push myself tonight and see if I can get it up to 2km. Ankle is still very sore, I think its road running that's causing it, maybe I am still too heavy to be running on the roads... so am going to scale back the running, I have my first ever running race next Thursday so I will leave the running until then I think.

Work has been crazy lately, working long day again today, 8-7... then home, and back up to the gym and pool.

Now I need to rant.....

I work in an office with a few ladies who are older than me, most of them are approaching retirement age, I am in my early 30's. For some reason they have gotten it into their heads that I am a) not eating enough and b) exercising too much. They have gotten so bad that they ask me exactly what I have eaten on a daily basis, oh and if I had been to the gym that morning or the evening before... It is driving me insane... I have stopped answering their questions or talking about food... Yesterday I was on a long day, 8am until 7... They were trying to gather up food for me to eat at 5pm, I had headphones in while working and could see them whispering amongst themselves and 3 of them arrived at my desk with an assortment of food for me, crackers, cheese, crisps and chocolate.. "because I wont be having dinner for another while". I told them I was ok, it was met with "you need to eat something.. what have you eaten so far today" . I had to leave the office I was so mad, how dare they quiz me on my food.. (for the record, I had eaten overnight oats for breakfast and a massive portion of veggie lasagne for lunch, and had a banana on my desk incase I got hungry before I finished). I am eating the same amount of food as I always have, minus the junk that is always going around the office, and making healthier choices. It is so infuriating. Im still 17 stone ffs, even if I wasn't eating I aint going to starve anytime soon... Recently I have been asked a lot about the gym, one woman, lets call her Mary.. asks me every day what I have done, she can see i try fobbing her off and not answering her questions but she persists... And I cant tell them to f off, even in a nice way... they are the biggest bunch of drama queens and suddenly I was being mean to poor Mary and she was only trying to be nice..aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh

Oh how blooming annoying - even though their intentions are good.

is it worth making a little office announcement thanking them for their care, but explaining (which I'm sure you've already done) that you are following a really healthy eating and exercise plan that have both been devised/endorsed by your own GP (or some little white lie like that) and then try and appeal to them, by saying "I really want to make sure I stay on this plan so if you do want to offer me food, could it please be fruit or vegetables?" - so they still feel like they can mother you but in a good way!

And what about keeping a food diary and if they want to know what you've had, say "Look in the diary!".

@ladyfelsham I was thinking of doing that alright, asking them not to comment on my food/exercise.. I had to do the same thing with my own siblings.. they were constantly commenting on everything I was eating... Most of them have good intentions.. but some don't have anything better to do except give out about things.. Yea they do try to mother me in a lot of things, lots of unwanted advice about my son too, don't get me wrong I appreciate them helping me out sometimes with advice etc but they give advice if you ask for it or not and get huffy with you of you don't follow it...

I do have one colleague who I have worked with for over 10 years, we are very close friends (keeps me sane), he made the point to me that diet means something very different to me than to them... They are all on a diet, they will tell you so as they are reaching for the cake, coz they need a treat (everyday treat), none of my business what they do, I never comment on their "diet"..... none of them have been successful in losing any substantial amount of weight, again none of my business.. So I am guessing that its their own issues that are making them comment on everything I am doing... I have the motivation to do something about my weight.. they don't.

I think I am bothered by them more because I have been working long hours this week and seeing them a lot... I am probably sounding like such a horrible person and trust me, I do get on well with them all in general.. Its just really getting to me this week. TBH I don't really want to go down the road of showing them what I am eating in my food diary because they will find fault with it anyway...

Sorry for ranting so much..

Went up to the pool last night but I was so tired I only swam for 15 minutes and went to the Jacuzzi and sauna instead.... Only working till lunch today, then I have a date!!!! Mr_d and I are going to the beach for a long walk... little man will still be in crèche so we can actually have a proper walk. going to have our lunch out.. Im so excited.. I haven't seen Mr_d much this week, between working so much and gym. And we rarely do anything without the little man... we don't have family living nearby to help out so cant wait for this.

Food today: overnight oats and not sure about the rest of the day!!!

I know exactly what you mean.about the office women. The building I will be going to has 300 people but its not big enough to be anonymous in or keep your business to yourself. People just seem to work from break to break and are obsessed with what everyone is eating. Also overly involved in how everyone looks and what they are at. Honestly last summer I nearly went beserk the week the leaving cert results came out and had a week of listening to what johnny and Mary got. And then it was even worse when the college offers came out.
Some people aren't happy when they aren't involved in everyone's business. I think those women are just jealous butbperhaos just tell them that your diet is between you and your doctor and not a subject for discussion with them, that until told otherwise you will follow the strict medical advice you have been given.

I've just realised what's wrong with them, you've stopped buying the Friday cakes.

Your friend is spot on. This is a really mature way of dealing with it - bravo! You're not a horrible person at all, and they should mind their own business - but at least you are powering towards your weight goal and their jealousy can't stop you!

Last edited:
ladies, ye are right... it is jealousy, and people with nothing better to do in their lives, was asked already this morning what way I am raising my son religiously... and its not even 9am! Anyway, enough time spent ranting about them!

I have been so bold the past week or so.. not even logging everything on MFP... I am being completely honest and have fell off the wagon a little bit, especially over the weekend, I am maintaining (small gain of 1lb this morning) and I think the running is saving me a little... I need a kick in the rear end! Have upped my calories in the morning... added some mixed nuts to try to increase my calories in the morning so I am not as hungry at night.. not even drinking enough water. Did 8km run/walk this morning... Going with a friend from work.. if I am honest I would rather go on my own.. I am just quicker going by myself... but its nice to have the company... we went out in the lashing rain, got soaked to the skin... mr_d was surprised I was even going... but then again I can still put on weight on wet days! Have my first proper run this week, Thursday evening at 7pm, weather is due to be great thurs which Im dreading.. I feel my running has gone down hill lately so hopefully I will be able for it.. this is a series of 5 5km runs... I am hoping that by the last on in august I will be able to do it in under 30 minutes... last 5km I did a few weeks ago I ran it in 34 minutes so fingers crossed!

So for today:

Pre run: coffee and banana
Breakfast: Overnight oats with nuts
Lunch: salad with spinach, tomatoes, cucumber, olives, eggs, cheese
Dinner: quorn stirfry with bulgur wheat

Well done on all the exercise - especially in torrential rain!

That's what my friend calls the pendulum principle - before you put weight on, take it off :)

Morning everyone... I am so bad this week.. its been hectic.. I feel I need an hour or two to catch up with everyone!

I have upped my calories in my breakfast, I am now eating 600cals for breakfast, overnight oats with nuts and seeds to try to stop me eating so much at night.. I crave popcorn every night, I know I could be eating worse but I end up being thirsty in the morning and then not being able to exercise properly.

Went for my usual 8km run/walk yesterday morning, was beautiful morning. swim last night My running buddy wanted a break this morning.. so I went to the gym, did my strength and resistance workout.. focused on the arms.. they are sore today! But I have my first proper 5km tomorrow. Its an actual race, not just the park run for fun! looking forward to it, but weather is so nice that it will be tough to run in the heat.. But I will do it! Course is a bit hilly too... Im sure I will manage!

So when I was at the gym earlier I was doing my weights in front of the mirror and I noticed just how much my body has changed. I am still over 17stone but I have gotten very toned.. which I love.. still a lot more fat to be tackled but I am starting to hate my body less and less.. The skin on my arms is bothering me a little.. Bit saggy but that's to be expected.

Food for today:

Pregym: banana and coffee
Breakfast: Overnight oats with nuts and seeds
Lunch: Salad
Dinner: Quorn stirfry with bulgur wheat

I love your stats Orla, just look at what you've achieved - brilliant!

And all this exercise will be so good for toning, and your general fitness, bravo! :0clapper:

@ladyfelsham aw Susie, thanks so much.. I think that joining here has been incredibly beneficial. the support from like-minded people is wonderful, ye are a wonderful group of people xx

I have to say I have caught the exercise bug.. I love it..I find it so beneficial for my mental health.. I have suffered a lot with anxiety and depression in the past, but exercise really is helping me a lot.

Running my first ever 5km road race this evening... its so warm here... but guess I will be burning more calories! Just don't want to be last! Did my new strength plan yesterday morning, worked only on my arms coz I am running this evening, I am so sore today!

Down 3lbs this week :) chuffed... I am exactly 17stone this morning :) 6 stone gone from my heaviest. Just 4 more to go... aiming to have that gone by Christmas and spend a fortune on the most fabulous dress to wear on my work Christmas party night!!

On the menu today is overnight oats, salad, pasta bake....

Its so beautiful and sunny here at the moment... I am on the west coast of Ireland so we don't often get nice weather, usually rain! so trying to take advantage of it as much as I can.. have tomorrow booked off work so I will be out for the day in the sun.

Have a great day everyone xx

Hi everyone.. quick update coz I am so busy today.. ran the 5k race on Thursday night in 33 minutes... Was so tough. Weather was really thundery and heavy.. there was a big hill halfway through also...but I did it! I think I might have been closer to my 30 minutes goal if weather was bit better and was a flatter course... But am so happy I did it in the time I did. I actually had a little cry to myself Thurs night.. I'm so proud of what I have achieved.. if you told me last Christmas that I would be under 17stone and running 5k I would have laughed.. signed up for 10km at the end of September so fingers crossed! Just don't want to be last!
Heading to the gym and pool later.
Increasing my cals for breakfast seems to have worked for me.. I am not as hungry anymore in the evening.

Hope everyone is well xx

Hi Orla, that's amazing news about the weight loss but particularly the run, well done its an amazing achievement.

Back