Izzyhew's dizzy start to diet......

Morning Doreen, it is hard to put it all into perfect practice isn't it? If you are type 2 diabetic you might find having a few less carbs will suit your body better. I know nothing about type 1 so don't take my advice for that! But I think type 2 is pretty much the same as I suffer albeit that I am not bad enough to fall into the bracket yet. You could have a few less carbs and still follow extra easy for the flexibility if you choose.

you have done well to lose over 2st, I will have a rummage for your diary xx

mushy peas aren't free on original, so I can't try the curry yet, although it might not add up to many syns for the sauce I would have to check how much weight is in the can and how much I need etc....I am too lazy to do that just now. I am thinking I might make some soup with my chicken breast, veg and stock cubes, that will be nice and filling :)

I feel like I am checking in too often.... but if it means I am not leading myself astray it's worth it!

today we have been for a 2 mile walk :) and when we arrived home my daughter and I shared some melon, lovely day here.

I added 4.5 syns worth of pearl barley to my soup at lunch but haven't eaten half of it so I am coounting it as 2 syns, currently feeding the little one and then going to prepare the burgers for tonight, I am too excited ....

burgers went down well with all 3 of us, so that will become a regular I think too! I had salsa with mine for 1/2 syn and cheese from my HE, and parsnip chips, grated carrot and beetroot. So does not feel like diet food!

Although, hubby has just announced that his two were not enough and next time can he please have 4.... and he struggles to gain weight, he is like one of those >>>>:eatdrink023:

I have the familiar abdominal ache that suggests a period is imminent, so I guess I can hope for my weight loss to speed up a little next week, I can never rely on when it's coming with my wonky ovaries! On a positive note, my back feels better, but it came back yesterday so I don't want to assume yet.....

well as expected my period has arrived grrrr. Although I shouldn't complain as there was a time I would go months without one really made it tricky to get pregnant.

Today so far I have had HE toast and banana for breakfast, and a pear for a snack. Usually on Mondays I end up not having lunch, but today I have a mug shot so going to have that as an early lunch before I go to get my son.

This morning I took my son to childminder for his weekly 2 hour settling in session, then home, took hubbys car to the garage, walked along to post office and found it closed, then walked home and changed all our beds. Usually that is my Saturday job but I have left it with my back being troublesome, it's still a bit achy today but I am wondering if the ache I am left with is linked to my period as I do sometimes get back ache with that.

I have been looking at dates etc and if I say I can lose 5lb's a month (which remains to be seen) it will take me 11 months from now to get to my target. Estimating 5lb/month would have me at under 12st when I go back to work in sept, which is lighter than I have been in years anyway so although still far far from target would still be great, and by new year I would hope to be around 10 st 6, which again is still a fair bit from target but I know I feel soooo much better at that weight than this! fingers crossed I can get there! This is the most focussed and determined I can ever remember being.

I have been looking at dates etc and if I say I can lose 5lb's a month (which remains to be seen) it will take me 11 months from now to get to my target. Estimating 5lb/month would have me at under 12st when I go back to work in sept, which is lighter than I have been in years anyway so although still far far from target would still be great, and by new year I would hope to be around 10 st 6, which again is still a fair bit from target but I know I feel soooo much better at that weight than this! fingers crossed I can get there! This is the most focussed and determined I can ever remember being.

It sounds like you are in just the right frame of mind to go for that 5lb per month and it is totally achievable. My consultant worked out recently that I'd lost an average of 1.5lb per week. Taking into account that I've gained a few times, I was pleasantly surprised to hear that. Small targets are definitely the way to go. Slow and steady....

Not great that your back is still giving you problems but hopefully it's on the mend. I sometimes get a sore lower back at that time of the month too so maybe it is all connected. Hopefully that means it'll ease off shortly x

Morning Izzy happy bank holiday. Sorry your not feeling to grand ((hugs)). 5lbs a month is very doable just a steady loss.

I would be over the moon if I regularly got 1.5 Bev, great to see the scales drop!

Thanks Texty, I'm sure I'd feel better if I just popped a couple paracetamol but I am a bit stubborn I kinda keep painkillers as a last resort! Not too bad now it comes and goes.

Hi Brittany good to see you, I will check out your story soon :) couch to 5k weeks 1 and 2 have been ok, worried about week 3 tho....

Had lovely catch up with my friend (childminder) this is our Monday routine, baby goes for 2 hours on his own but instead of just picking him up I stay for a catch up! I have had 2 cups of tea with sugar (3 syns) and some of yesterdays soup, which I haven't synned today as doing an EE day today.

I have noticed I more and more am drinking herbal tea at home, I don't use enough milk to use HE, and have not wanted to use my syns on tea!

Fish baked with sliced tomatoes on top and HE cheese, with potatoes/sweet potato, other undecided veg for tea tonight, and as I am currently on only 3 syns I might have hot choc later too.

Last edited:
What about using cheese as a HE for toppings on dishes Izzy? At least then your still getting your calcium allowance

Morning Doreen, it is hard to put it all into perfect practice isn't it? If you are type 2 diabetic you might find having a few less carbs will suit your body better. I know nothing about type 1 so don't take my advice for that! But I think type 2 is pretty much the same as I suffer albeit that I am not bad enough to fall into the bracket yet. You could have a few less carbs and still follow extra easy for the flexibility if you choose.

you have done well to lose over 2st, I will have a rummage for your diary xx

mushy peas aren't free on original, so I can't try the curry yet, although it might not add up to many syns for the sauce I would have to check how much weight is in the can and how much I need etc....I am too lazy to do that just now. I am thinking I might make some soup with my chicken breast, veg and stock cubes, that will be nice and filling :)

For my type 2 I take Metformin and glipizide. If I don`t have the carbs I get a hypo. Nurse recommends carbs all meals. Sometimes I have my normal meals, do the garden or go for a walk andsometimes down the sugar goes. We are at present experimenting. I used to run on higher sugar but now my average is 6.9. I sometimes feel shaky at 5. Bit of a pain. Carry stuff with me. Thanks for your thoughts.

I love my cheese too Brittany, I recently discovered low fat cathedral city, it is so nice!

Sounds like your diabetes is quite serious and not at all like my troubles Dorreen, so definitely ignore my suggestion and go with your nurses advice! I am supposed to take metformin too, but I must admit I don't always take it, because it can make me really quite ill sometimes. The doc started me off on one a day with a view to taking 3 per day, but said if I can only tolerate 2, or 1 it's better than nothing. I guess my problem is different as my blood sugar don't dip in that extreme way, it's just my body doesn't recognize the insulin, so I have too much of it. Metformin does help some women lose weight but it hasn't had any such effect on me!

Had my fish topped with chopped onion, tomato and cheese, with mashed potato and sweet potato (no milk or butter) with broccoli and carrot, and then ended the day on 12 syns after some go ahead biscuits, I meant to keep my syns lower today, but I am happy enough to have stayed on track.

It's going to be a looooong day. Hubby's alarm for work went off at 0445, which isn't a problem usually I can slip back to sleep easily, but the baba started making noises at 0515, so I nipped in and flipped him over as he gets stuck on his tummy and it's often enough for him to go back to sleep but it wasn't to be today. Sooo we are up, and he has had his milk and back down to catch up on his snoozes, so guess what I did?????

I was on the treadmill before 0630 and completed session 1 of week 3 couch to 5k woohoooo :happy036: I am so pleased because I was worried about making that jump to 3 mins, I found it hard but I did it. Now confident I can complete week 3, and although I am now concerned about jumping to 5mins in week 4 I can see that I have already done what I thought I could not so....just wait and see!

Only down side is I really need a shower now, but daughter will be up imminently so need to wait until she is off to school and her brother takes another nap!

Well done Izzy!!! I was so inspired by reading your diary that I went on the treadmill at the gym last night rather than sticking to just the cross trainer and bike. Unfortunately, it turns out that I have no sense of balance on a treadmill and I couldn't let go!! Not easy to run while holding on so I think I'll just build up on the bike and cross trainer until I feel confident enough to run outdoors.

Hope it's not too long a day for you after that early start x

at least you gave it a go, but you can't take risks if it makes you lose your balance, the other stuff will be doing you just as much good I think, it's important we are doing something for our health I think it matters less what the activity is so long as we are doing it.

I just had a really lovely lunch! I split one of my slightly flat rolls I made the other day(HE), topped it with grilled bacon, sliced tomato, salsa (1syn) and HE cheese and melted under the grill..... I'll be having that again.

we have no fruit, and I am missing it but I had boiled egg for breakfast. Not sure what we are having for dinner, but other half is getting a big shop today so will choose from all the fresh stuff and will have fruit again yay. getting through a LOT of fruit....

Yay I have lost 1.5 :) very pleased with that!

yesterday afternoon I spent a couple hours (baby had a loooong sleepy, then played quite happy) clearing out my kitchen. Our house has gone to the dogs a bit since we had the little one, I never was the best at keeping up and hubby is working long hours just now so we have both shirked our housekeeping responsibilities! The worktops at one side and half the table had become a dumping ground, it was getting tricky to sit there for our meals! There was a pile of recycling, and a pile of paperwork that needed to be organised as well as needing to just thin out the clutter! so it's all done and looks sooo much nicer and bigger! Today's job is to clean the floor though as it really needs doing. I feel like I am getting somewhere in the last month or two.

Food for the day, well the family have requested pasta bake for tea, and although I can see I could optimise that quite easily I still have a few jars in the cupboard so going to use that up for them first. Also I have discovered in the past having so much pasta in one sitting makes me ill with my medication so it's kind of out for me, I could do a smaller portion of pasta though and something with it, so for ease I will probably have quorn bolognaise.

Lunch I think I will have my HE roll halved with bacon, tomato, salsa and cheese again as the rolls need using up and it was so lovely yesterday :)

breakfast is going to be fruit I think. Back to front menu but it's just the way I was thinking it out lol.

I am also going to make a batch of burgers today and pop them in the freezer, as we all loved them so it will be good to be able to have them without the prep.

Ooh and last night at my daughters band practice I managed to NOT buy choc at the tuck shop :) and tonight when I am sat for an hour at the sports centre I plan to again have a nice herbal tea instead of the synful hot choc!

Well done on the loss, that's fab!

Good work on getting the kitchen cleared out, it's a great feeling when you finally get round to doing all of the things you've been putting off isn't it. I feel like I've had more energy and drive to get these kind of things done since I started SW. I'm not sure if it's just a coincidence or not but I'll make the most of it while it lasts! x

thanks Bev, I dunno if it is extra motivation or if it is keeping my mind off chocolate! I also want some order here before I go back to work and although that isn't until september I know it will come around quickly, there are a lot of other things that need to be done including sorting out the garden a bit. Going back will be hard enough without still having a huge list of stuff to do at home.

Managed to get the floor hoovered and mopped today so the kitchen is 90%, the doors all need a wipe down now and it will be sorted, I doubt it will be done today tho lol. I feel like my life probably sounds pretty mundane but I am really happy I've had times in my life that were far too hectic I like things to be mostly calm.

Picked up some alpen cereal bars (the ones that are allowed for HE's) although I need to get my hubby to get Aldi ones next time he gets shopping in, I forgot to add them to the list. I also got some snack a jacks, and 0% vanilla yoghurt as I think I am lacking in variety for snacks.

Morning Izzy well done on the 1.5 off, good loss. Glad you have made headway with the kitchen lol.

Im off out shopping for the day with my Daughter its pi$$ing down but thankfully the shopping centre is all under one roof. Were having lunch and going to a champagne bar her treat im told lol x

Back