JANUARY MONEY CHALLENGE!

We need a new bed desperately too, I just hate the thought of shopping for one and the mattress.
Ive managed to get a load of birthday presents in the sales so that will save a few pennies.

I'm really lucky, I've finally managed to get my son to be classed as disabled and to be made a carer for him so now we can actually afford our mortgage payments, bills and food shopping without dipping into our savings every month!

Well, good start. I usually pay for my car to be cleaned inside and out at a local hand car wash for a tenner. Not today, just washed it myself!
Good body magic too :) x

My January hasn't quite started yet but I've said no to a night out tonight for lack of money. I suppose small wins add up to a big one!!

Now poor! Ordered our new bed, should be here in 2 weeks and managed to get 0% (wouldn't have got it otherwise) at least it all comes with a 10 year guarantee so that's good, but man those things are pricey!

Yeah that's what I thought :)
We get 40 nights (provided you use a mattress protector) to decide if we like the mattress and they will exchange it if we don't like it, feels so strange walking round lying on beds lol
10 years on the mattress, the bed and the tv so happy bunny and he even threw in some Egyptian cotton sheets and pillowcases which is fab cos I've always wanted them and could never afford them :D

Sounds like a good deal Pixie!

We're just in the cinema waiting for a film to start - courtesy of OH but on walking around the shops before the cinema, we bought 3 walking coats and spent 130 quid!
We did need them though as going on a walking holiday next year, and they were on offer so saved over 200quid.
Still means my credit card has increased though! X

That's a good deal on the walking jackets though Hun, those things are expensive. I have three and not one fits so refuse to buy another and just slim into them instead lol
Hope you had fun at the pictures :)
(Still don't say cinema lol)

Think I need to be in here too... I am trying to save as much money as possible for our dream holiday when bf comes home. We are hoping to go to New York and then Florida which will be amazing. Bf is saving loads whilst being away but I am finding it a lot tougher. So far I have £500 saved and would like to double it by end of March.

Things potentially getting in my way:

? Our car needs a new rear silencer. I have £150 put away for that and praying it doesn't cost more. Car will also need a service and new tyres soon ?

? Weddings. This summer we have 3 weddings to attend, only one of them is local. I've already paid the hotel for one but we also need flights to both...

? Me. I've been quite good at not splurging money recently but sometimes I want a treat and feel like I deserve it.

I have plenty to keep me busy until March and hopefully a pay rise in between will also help... Cross everything xxx

Sent from my iPhone using MiniMins

Sounds like a good deal Pixie!

We're just in the cinema waiting for a film to start - courtesy of OH but on walking around the shops before the cinema, we bought 3 walking coats and spent 130 quid!
We did need them though as going on a walking holiday next year, and they were on offer so saved over 200quid.
Still means my credit card has increased though! X

It will be money well spent on the coats, we bought walking boots Summer 12 & paid more than we wanted, but they are still fantastic & so comfy, where you off to?

Think I need to be in here too... I am trying to save as much money as possible for our dream holiday when bf comes home. We are hoping to go to New York and then Florida which will be amazing. Bf is saving loads whilst being away but I am finding it a lot tougher. So far I have £500 saved and would like to double it by end of March.

Things potentially getting in my way:

? Our car needs a new rear silencer. I have £150 put away for that and praying it doesn't cost more. Car will also need a service and new tyres soon ?

? Weddings. This summer we have 3 weddings to attend, only one of them is local. I've already paid the hotel for one but we also need flights to both...

? Me. I've been quite good at not splurging money recently but sometimes I want a treat and feel like I deserve it.

I have plenty to keep me busy until March and hopefully a pay rise in between will also help... Cross everything xxx

Sent from my iPhone using MiniMins

where the eck are the weddings??????

ive got everything crossed for your dream holiday; I'm now thinking Ecuador is a tad too expensive & maybe look at other places. The flights to Ecuador alone are 800 each:eek: Hmmmm serious, serious saving would be needed!!!!!!!!!

One of the weddings is in Nottingham and the other is in Epsom. Nowhere glamorous but we live in the back of beyond so struggle to get anywhere!! In the last couple of years we've been to weddings in Norway and Amsterdam so these are low key in comparison!!

Luckily bfs best mate lives in New York so we don't have to pay for accommodation there. My MIL also has BA cabin crew friends who have promised to try help us get a good deal on flights or at least an upgrade but everything else is looking super expensive so desperate to save where we can!!

It will be money well spent on the coats, we bought walking boots Summer 12 & paid more than we wanted, but they are still fantastic & so comfy, where you off to?

We're staying in Bluestone in South Wales, close to where we live. OH has planned costal walks and routes etc...
It's kinda a taster to see if we like it, if we do we'll do more.
We all need walking boots too. Expensive to start, all the things you need to buy x

Do you have a mountain warehouse in your area? That's where we got our boots, Mine reduced from £70 to £30 and hubbys from £110 to £50 x

Yeah that's where we got the coats from Pixie.
They had some lovely walking shoes there today but they were all in either very big or very small sizes. Think it's cos of the sale.
Will have to keep popping back a forth and checking x

We're staying in Bluestone in South Wales, close to where we live. OH has planned costal walks and routes etc...
It's kinda a taster to see if we like it, if we do we'll do more.
We all need walking boots too. Expensive to start, all the things you need to buy x

Oh that does sound nice, I love walking. We bought our boots from Go Outdoors, the staff were really helpful & made sure the boots fitted & were good for the purpose. Me & OH go to Fuerteventura a lot & he takes me geocaching up all the volcanoes & I bought myself some new trail trainers but wow they were so expensive, in the end I bought Teva ones from ebay, I've had Teva before & they are brill so I was happy knowing they'd fit & be ok & they are, just need a holiday to try them out!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I'm really new to this so have't a clue really lol.
OH mentioned popping along to Go Outdoors as well - I think we'll take a trip there before we go away.
Oooh, holiday would be nice :) x

Can I ask you guys for some advice please?

We got our bed yesterday and it is 0% so never have to worry about interest but we got it over three years so it doesn't end until 2017, I'm wondering whether it would be better to pay a larger payment and have it over either two or just a year. Would mean a bit of scrimping and would mean probably no holidays but it would be paid off quicker.

If I had to pay interest it would be a no brainer but because it's not I can't decide lol

If it's no interest I'd keep it until 2017. Lower repayments and your not affected by interest so why make things harder for yourself x

I agree with Flabtofit, unless you can see your circumstances changing dramatically in the next 3 years where you would be thankful not to have to pay out monthly :)

I have had my first bit of good news this morning, which will eventually help me financially. I have passed the first of 3 assignments which will fully qualify me for my job!! I am determined to submit the other 2 before bf comes home and I will hopefully get a good payrise at the end of that too. Need to get cracking on the second one now!!

Back