Total Solution katmat diary

katmat

I figured I'd start this whole diary business with outlining my motivations for losing weight, beyond the usual health aspects and whatever. Then I can look back at this and remind myself of these things.

- Fashion.
I love clothes. So much. But I'm entirely too aware of my size and feel entirely uncomfortable in all the things I love. I haven't worn a skirt in 13 years. I want this to change. I'm kind of an arty type, and I love creating outfits, but I want to be able to WEAR these things and feel good about it, not just jot them down on a piece of paper!

- Heels.
Is probably similar, but I love heels so they deserve their own mention. Being heavy just puts too much pressure on my feet (and my double jointed ankles don't help..sigh) at the moment I only wear my favourite shoes when there's minimal walking involved - I want to stop buying 'sitting down shoes' that get no love.

- Overheating.
Summer is on the way (theoretically) and I would enjoy it a lot more if physical activity didn't make me feel quite so gross. I walk the couple miles into work and back every day and walk my dog on top of it, and this is great in the cooler months but I CANNOT do another summer feeling horrible when I get into the office.

- Italy!
I have a holiday booked in September for 10 glorious days around Lake Como and Milan, and I refuse to be paranoid about plane seats. I went last autumn to do Florence and Rome and while I got into the seat with no additional extenders or anything, I can't say I was comfortable. All my weight is in my arse! So annoying. But yes, I WILL be thinner by then so I don't have to get anxious over it.

I spent last year using My Fitness Pal which was really good, but I have so much to lose that the slow pace was not working out for me. It taught me a lot about healthy eating, and keeping track of everything but I think I need a big push to shed it all and THEN work on keeping it off. That's where Exante comes in for me, I'm confident I can keep myself on the even keel at the other end of this journey, but I just want to get there now.

Last edited:
Those are great motivating reasons to do the diet :) I have the same issue with heels, can't wear them, it's too much pressure on my poor feet at this weight, but it'd be nice to be able to wear them again in the future :) And yes the heat in summer, although we will be lucky to have a hot summer this year at this rate lol.

I'm currently at the end of day 3 and feeling surprisingly good. Spent the day out walking the dog and then nerding out with Doctor Who.

I'm working through the bumper box and trying different combinations so that I can try and figure out what I like, then I'll go for a pick-your-own box next time. So far my biggest issue is soups.. the thai chicken and tomato & basil were both vile, even stuffed full of pepper. I had vegetable today which was thankfully much more palatable, but I'm already thinking I'm going to be a mostly shake girl. I snagged a few samples of the porridge and carbonara off ebay to try so I can at least see if those work better for me, and I've been digging through the forums here for tips on how to make them (porridge biscuits sound interesting, and precooking the pasta sounds much better too) so hopefully they work out.

My biggest surprise of the day, other than seeing the sun, was that I just didn't feel hungry. I was expecting some kind of evil hurdle on day 3, but all hunger pangs have gone. Fingers crossed that they're not just lying in wait for tomorrow! I also weighed myself this morning to see 6lb gone - I know it's all water at this point, and that I should give it at least a week between weigh ins, but it's still exciting!

Too true about being lucky to even have a summer, jael! I wish the weather would be kind for once. I'm so over being cold now.

I haven't tried all the soups, only the mushroom which I really like. I've started adding a pinch of smoked garlic powder to it and it's lovely like that.

Adding garlic to the mushroom is lovely...
The tomato i add garlic too or a bit more fresh basil.

The chicken i like as is but i put chilli soaked pepper in it..making it extra spicey...

Veg try tobasco..is nice :)

Last edited:
Thanks for the tips :) I need to keep experimenting - have a whole months worth to get through!! Mushroom tomorrow, and I usually love mushroom soup so hoping I saved the best for last. Garlic is always good :)

Vanilla shake with coffee is my new happy place. And another day where I'm not feeling hungry :) I'm out at a friends place tonight, and while the guys will no doubt eat and drink, my friend is at least my diet buddy while being on LL!

Day 1 was the worst, I visit my dad once a week and normally we have dinner, but I gave him the heads up about the diet. I had a fairly lumpy attempt at soup (so nasty) while he tucked into chips and sweet & sour chicken. THAT was mean :|

Last edited:
Lumps are so bad :< I've found that if I just mix it up in my shaker and then microwave it then it's pretty good. Mushroom soup is actually - and thankfully - nice, so I'm glad I've at least got that to fall back on for my savoury kick - all these sweet things are going to get to me else. Although I'm glad Exante's shakes aren't oversweet, that's really helping.

Today is a day of lurking around at home, so I'm going to try and keep myself busy with doodling things! That usually helps the hours disappear. Then back to work tomorrow where it's much easier to get by. Looking forward to work! haha, this won't last

Had to edit my first post because I forgot one very important motivation: Holiday! I'm going back to Italy in September and I need to be able to do it without anxiety over my big behind. I went last autumn too and it was just beautiful - Florence is one of my favourite places now. I even lost weight while there, which is kind of hilarious since the food is incredible - lots of walking is good :) Hoping to do this kind of thing again come September, plenty of sightseeing and burning off the gelato.

Great reasons katmat, I know what you mean about heels and summer. I have loads of health reasons - most of which will worsen in the summer if I dont shift the weight. Hopefully we can help each other along the way

Summer needs to be a good thing to look forward to, I'm sure we'll get there if we keep on going :)

I'm becoming horribly aware of food adverts - they're everywhere! I'm not actually hungry, just the idea of eating sounds nice when all this stuff flashes up. Arg. I will have my nice cup of hot water and deal with it :p

Hey katmat :)
I love your reasons !
Heels kill my ankles when I am heavier. I feel as though they will snap like bambi when I am walking.
Heres to dancing in the sun with heels on, in a few months :banana dancer:
Marge :D

I can't dance for toffee (although give me a few weeks and then offer me toffee!) but yes! Give it a few months and I can flail madly in the sun with my heels on :)

Today I decided I'd try Bouillon. Verdict: :yuk: Hot, nasty salt water. Not for me at all.

Nipped home from work to stuff a soup in my face and now off out to the pub to watch my friends eat! Ahhhhhh

The trick with the Boullion is to start with just a tiny little bit of the powder, maybe a quarter of a teaspoon and see if you like it, then add a little more if necessary. A full teaspoon is too strong and too salty. I use maybe a third to a half a teaspoon and that's plenty for me to have the flavour as I like it.

Thanks for the tip, Jael.. I'll have another go. Only used half a spoon this time but maybe less is the key.

Survived pub night with my coffee and fizzy water (my attempt at a treat lol) while surrounded by steaks and gammon and smothered chicken. +1 to willpower :D

Another way of making the soups I find is to add a little water at first and stir into a paste then gradually add the rest, you have to stir quite vigorously but it minimizes the lumps. I used this method when I done LL and found it works well with the exante packs too.

Well done for being good at the pub :D

Back