KD Rambles No. 2 Food addiction and peptides

What's up hun?

Sending you big hugs xxxx

Fank you Jem:thankyou: We haven't spoken for a while. Hope all is well with you.

New telly, I love new tellies, Ive got a v+ box too, its ace, only Ive got 80 hours of recording on it and cant get off the darn computer to watch it!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

We've been umming and ahhing about getting it. We love Tivo, so wasn't sure whether we needed another gadget, but we needed to upgrade phone, internet connection etc. Didn't work out much more to get the whole caboodle. Not sure how we are going to connect them altogether mind you, but sure I'll find a way;)

Hope the walk has helped KD?..xx

I know sometimes I can easily become tearful and have absolutely no reasoning for it:confused:

Thanks Lacey. Weird innit. Can't be hormones. Past that I think:confused: Was feeling so cheery too, then all of a sudden Bang! Huge drop in confidence (not on the dieting side...just everything else:rolleyes:)

I also think this thread is fab and have just read it from the start as I am at home all day!!! Yippee :D
Oh! I'm sooo pleased. Was beginning to wonder why I was bothering:p I know we all have to find a way, but I hate seeing people struggle and so want to find a way for everyone. Impossible though:(

At the moment they are on stage 3.... "Shouldn't that bit go there?"

It's a man thing:rolleyes:

I wanted to just say "right..put that there, and this here", but I had to remember that men have little to test their masculinity these days. Will keep them happiest if I spend time each week gasping at how well they parallel park, throw a ball, and sort out wires. Keeps them feeling useful;)
But sometimes there simply isn't any reason.:confused: having a good cry is a release for me, I always feel good afterwards, so I class it as a good thing:)
Thanks Tracey. Aww gawd. Silly beggar I am:cry:

I think this post is so very helpful

What can I say, what you talk about is so true, I have never thought about it before. But I understand now, life is what we make it and the choices we make in it are our choices........ AD I had never come across it..... It is funny, but earlier today... (I'm still up, had to read all this thread when you pointed me to it), any way like I said.... earlier today I was thinking back to when I stopped smoking over 5 years ago. I realise now that I was/am addicted to food, this has really only been an issue over the last 6 years, but it has been forming all my life, through life patterens and ways of eating living I have learnt............ So as I was saying I was thinking that I had the willpower and my brain was in the right place to make the no smoking choice, my brain was then in the right place to make the choice to do the SS CD and it is only now I have found the going so very hard. So now you have introduced AD to me, it will give me a handle to use to over come the hard bits and the little green men inside my head telling me to eat everything I like quick before I have to SS again. (I keep getting to the point where I need to be on the plans and then falling of the waggons, got to 790 then back up a few pounds to sS again, I've done this 3 times.....).

So now all :rolleyes: I need to do is try get through the being hungry bit and looking into this AD thing and asking you for tips...... if that is ok. I have always understood that this will be hard, keeping the weight off will be hard, but I have looked forward to planning my eating, like you really, learning about a different way of eating, portion sizes etc etc etc. I know I don't need to eat more or as much as my hubby. But until I pass this next hurdle I can't get to that stage.

Thanks for the thread, the knowledge that I have and AD which doesn't need to be acted on really does help and trust me, whilst I am not NOT going to put it on, I was worried it would be a horrid battle for years, if I can understand my AD and learn to say oh yes, fancy a cream bun, but not having one today, I may just have a better chance of staying the distance.
Sorry for any typos, really late now and my eyes are shutting.....

Thanks honey for your help.
And this is for you......:thankyou:

And this is for you also, hope you are feeling better soon .:grouphugg::patback:

Night Night
Luv Chitty....

Lovely post chitty x

That's it Chitty. Some people never accept that they are addicts, so then the idea of AD won't work for them.

It's kind of tough to work out what is addictive eating and what isn't. It's not as clearly defined as smoking. You either are smoking or your not. Of course, you can't just stop eating.

So we must continue to desire food. We just want to act on it less than we were doing before.

We could probably consider anything that we eat which is beyond what we actually need to keep us alive and healthy as addictive desire, but then even the healthy slim people eat things beyond beyond that. So it's not getting rid of it all entirely, just doing less of it.

Notice that I say healthy slim people as many slim people aren't healthy and often don't eat normally either. Diet on/diet off forever, bulimea etc.

Notice that I say healthy slim people as many slim people aren't healthy and often don't eat normally either. Diet on/diet off forever, bulimea etc.

Yes I agree with you, lots of slim people are seriously unhealthy.

I don't think week on a diet week off a diet is very good for you....

But hay one step at a time for me. I need to get back to SS. I've had a day off today, for all the wrong reasons, I've eat the wrong food just like I used to. I have been thinking all day about the AD thing and know when I have finished SS it will really help me. But that's it isn't it, my brain said I didn't need to do that today.... now if it had I wouldn't have had the pick and mix or the sausage roll.......... I've a long way to go, but I will get there.

Thanks Honey....
I am turning off for the day now.
I need to get on with the rest of my life.

Chitty XXXX

But that's it isn't it, my brain said I didn't need to do that today.... now if it had I wouldn't have had the pick and mix or the sausage roll

Yep, you must get to target, work through the plans. I've suggested a way that might work for you when you are ready for maintenance.
Don't let it interrupt your present 'journey'!

I consider myself and Intuitive Eater. The purists would argue with that, so let’s call it intuitive eating using common sense. Of course, that is a bit of an oxymoron;)

Before I continue, please remember this is my opinion. I feel sure that many people manage to eat intuitively as per the book, without needing to tweak bits here and there, but not I.

To use intuition means to understand or know something immediately without needing to think about it, learn it or discover it by using reason. So if a thousands of scientists discover that eating certain foods are likely to kill you, you should disregard this, and eat it anyway if you feel drawn to it.

In this day and age, I think it’s very difficult to do. We are surrounded with unhealthy foods, not the foods that we were designed to eat. We are born to eat healthily, but constantly bombarded with extra sugars and fats (often disguised). Assuming that we are born perfect, we would eat intuitively unless we were taught otherwise. (Nature vs nurture).

So, a small child is offered sweets and crisps. Do they nod and refuse to eat it? Do they ‘eck as like’. There again, if these foods weren’t so readily available, I’m pretty sure they would all eat whatever their body needed. But unfortunately they are in most people’s cupboards.

I don’t believe that I was born to instinctively know I should stay away from unhealthy fats and sugars, because they weren’t there in such huge proportions when the human race evolved and we all know that our bodies haven’t quite caught up with the pace of the modern food manufacturers.

Another thing the intuitive eaters believe is that you should only eat when you are hungry and stop when you are satisfied.

I have even more of a problem with that. It is generally thought that slim people do this. Well, I did a little survey;) Out of the 100 slim people I asked, only a handful said they only ate when hungry. How about that.:eek:

But anyway, I needed this to work for me. I didn’t have to follow that rule, if I knew I would never be able to do it.

I didn’t disband it immediately, just thought it through and tried it out.

Wake up in the morning. Am I hungry? Nope. I know I have to go to work and I might not get a chance to eat for hours. Maybe a few short breaks, but certainly not the opportunity to eat in them. So, do I leave breakfast, knowing that I won’t get to eat for maybe 8-9 hours or do I leave my class because I fancy a sandwich at 10:30? Could I do that daily? Not unless I wanted to lose my job.

What about the family meal? What if I’m not hungry then? The evening meal is a chance for us all to get together and share our day, enjoy our dinner. Can I get away with saying “actually…I’m not hungry, but I’ll sit here and watch you eat”. Then settle down after my evenings work only to get up again cook another meal for me?

What if the whole family did that! Every day, wanting to eat at separate times? Can you imagine if my class were intuitive eaters and were allowed to pop off to enjoy a snack or meal when they became hungry?

It just wouldn’t work in my world anyway.

DH books a meal at a posh restaurant. Do I sit there and tell the waiter “actually…I’ll pass on everything thank you”

As I try to live naturally, I wondered how the cave men would have managed this. “Woman…I need feast. We go hunt buffalo for days…prepare the grain and dried meat for us and the visiting tribe and tonight we will eat and worship the god of buffalo”. Woman spends hours grinding. Feast is prepared. “oh…actually woman…I’m not feeling hungry at the moment, throw feast out or keep it warm for when I return” :D

Perhaps I’m not going back far enough. Eve takes a bite from the apple, then tempts Adam. No mention of him not being hungry at the time. Why would she need to tempt him anyway? He would have just had it if he was hungry.:D

So you see, I just couldn’t go along with that one.

Load more to come :D

I'm waiting with bated breath for the next installment :)

Me too - so much for my 'early night'!! :D

Yep, you must get to target, work through the plans. I've suggested a way that might work for you when you are ready for maintenance.
Don't let it interrupt your present 'journey'!

I won't Karion, I understand this is something to do when I start working through the plans.

As the moment I'm having problems with the food demons:devilangel:, I get up feeling fine, a little pensive in case I feel weak and tired as I did on Tuesday, but fine and by tea time the food devil has made me, go into the cupboard and he only wants to eat bad carbs and sugar loaded food. Of course I know I have the choice here, but I haven't been able to make the right one. But I believe that this morning, I have had a wake up call. I weighed in at 10stone 4lb on Monday today I am 10stone 7lb. I have gone lost 6 stone and at 10stone 7lb I have 2 stone to go to get to goal. I need to get my focus back and make the correct choices.

I feel I am begining to learn the simple fact that all the foods I think I miss are in actual fact terrible for us and should only be eaten once every so often. Crisps, chocolate and cake should only be in the cupboard every so often and the same with processed foods. I am lucky in this way as I have a keen interest in cooking healthy food and not using pre made versions, so perhaps with a little get up and go I can convert out kitchen and hopefully the whole family will shift their eating habits.

You are a wonderful source of inspiration and ideas. I am reading a book called 'How to eat less at the moment', very interesting, but I am only on chapter two at the minute.:D

So here I am setting off to earn my first star again as a fallen angle, who is going to pick themselves up. I am so worth more than the crap I have eaten over the last couple of days, I will win this battle and have tools to use to keep it of now, thanks to you.

Hope you are feeling happy today, I'll send you some good :vibes:. I love these smilies, so cute......

Ok thats it I'm off. I will up date my dairy this evening, not that it gets read.... this site is very busy...... It is hard to keep up.

Also LOL :rotflmao: at your argument regarding eating when you are hungry............ Yep I could just imagain how cross :whoopass: I would be if my hubby said he wasn't hungry after I had spent the afternoon make a yummy tea for him.....

Luv Chitty.

Luv Chitty. XXXXX

Eating when hungry is the one I had the biggest problem with when I read Beyond Chocolate for the very reasons you state, it's just not always convenient, but I think I eat less when I do try and follow this principal.

For example on a Friday morning I go shopping to Sainsburys, I have my breaksfast of muesli before I go and when I come home I always have a piece of fresh seeded bread I've just bought toasted with a cappucino, it's like a two part breakfast and takes up a lot of calories. So yesterday I woke up and wasn't hungry, I'd eaten later the night before a biggish meal and could still feel that, I thought about it and realised that I really wasn't hungry. Had a cup of tea, showered and dressed, checked for hunger - nope still not hungry so off to Sainsbury's I went. Did my shopping and didn't spend loads more cos I was shopping on an empty stomach, came home and really, really enjoyed my toast and coffee, I was ready for it, I was hungry by the time I got home, not starving but hungry and it tasted really good. I ate my usual lunch and don't feel I ate any more or less than I would have done by not having my cereal first thing and I definately saved around 300 or so cals by not having my breakfast before I went. So logically i feel that if I eat when only hungry I'll eat less overall and possibly enjoy it more. However, saying that it does mean I will always be able to do it, but Monday to Friday's (except school hols) I am here on my own during the day, so if I do choose to follow that principal I can, but I still need to eat in the evening with the family.

So I guess I'm saying I'm sorta on the fence with that one, I think there is sense in it but not always practical, but I don't think it hurts to acknowledge whether you're eating because you're hungry or not, or still choosing to eat when not hungry, it's all part of the process of listening and getting to know your body and your habits and the whys and wherefores of eating.

Eating when hungry is the one I had the biggest problem with when I read Beyond Chocolate for the very reasons you state, it's just not always convenient, but I think I eat less when I do try and follow this principal.

For example on a Friday morning I go shopping to Sainsburys, I have my breaksfast of muesli before I go and when I come home I always have a piece of fresh seeded bread I've just bought toasted with a cappucino, it's like a two part breakfast and takes up a lot of calories. So yesterday I woke up and wasn't hungry, I'd eaten later the night before a biggish meal and could still feel that, I thought about it and realised that I really wasn't hungry. Had a cup of tea, showered and dressed, checked for hunger - nope still not hungry so off to Sainsbury's I went. Did my shopping and didn't spend loads more cos I was shopping on an empty stomach, came home and really, really enjoyed my toast and coffee, I was ready for it, I was hungry by the time I got home, not starving but hungry and it tasted really good. I ate my usual lunch and don't feel I ate any more or less than I would have done by not having my cereal first thing and I definately saved around 300 or so cals by not having my breakfast before I went. So logically i feel that if I eat when only hungry I'll eat less overall and possibly enjoy it more. However, saying that it does mean I will always be able to do it, but Monday to Friday's (except school hols) I am here on my own during the day, so if I do choose to follow that principal I can, but I still need to eat in the evening with the family.

So I guess I'm saying I'm sorta on the fence with that one, I think there is sense in it but not always practical, but I don't think it hurts to acknowledge whether you're eating because you're hungry or not, or still choosing to eat when not hungry, it's all part of the process of listening and getting to know your body and your habits and the whys and wherefores of eating.

Hmmmm, interesting. I could got well into the afternoon without eating and without being hungry if I have had a main meal later in the evening, say 7-8ish.... But I have always been under the impression that eating 'breakfast' at the time you start your day kick starts your
metabolism for the day..................... Wouldn't waiting until later to eat slow it down...

I am reading a book called 'How to eat less at the moment', very interesting, but I am only on chapter two at the minute.:D

Let us know what the principles are when you get there :)
So here I am setting off to earn my first star again as a fallen angle,
Woohoo! You got it :clap:
imagain how cross :whoopass: I would be if my hubby said he wasn't hungry after I had spent the afternoon make a yummy tea for him.....
Me too :D

So I guess I'm saying I'm sorta on the fence with that one, I think there is sense in it but not always practical,

Agreed. I don't think BC is quite so strict about only eating when hungry. Other IE methods can be. It's baaaaad;)

I do follow the 'hungry' principle when it's practical to do so. Not always...not even when I can, because sometimes I fancy something before then:confused: There's such a fine line between knowing when you can eat out of 'fancy' and eat inappropriately. IYKWIM.

I'll probably go into how I try to IE with common sense (which most purists would consider wasn't IE at all:D)

Love to have feedback over this :)

Hmmmm, interesting. I could got well into the afternoon without eating and without being hungry if I have had a main meal later in the evening, say 7-8ish.... But I have always been under the impression that eating 'breakfast' at the time you start your day kick starts your
metabolism for the day..................... Wouldn't waiting until later to eat slow it down...

Not sure Chitty, for me I'm not likely to be leaving it too long, 10,11ish latest probably so I don't think it would slow it down too much, but I'm not sure how it would be affected if you didn't eat anything until much later in the day??? Gawd, it's not straightforward is it? :p
x

Most of the experts will say that it kicks your metabolism off, but I think any benefits or otherwise would be negated by whether it causes you to eat more or less through the day.

So, if you find eating breakfast earlier, means you are less likely to pick during the morning, then I would go for it. If you find you aren't hungry until you've had breakfast...then it seems to set it off, and you end up eating more lunch, then leave it.

I really think it's a personal choice myself.

Oh...if it makes no difference to what you eat, I reckon eating it first thing is probably best as you would get the benefit of the slightly speeded metabolism.

The next thing that I as an intuitive eater has to believe, is that diets don’t work. This is one of the fundamental principles of IE, and you have to believe this with the faith of a thousand born again Christians.:eek:

Obviously, that’s a big problem for me, as it did work:confused:. I did the diet, I lost the weight. Of course, this wasn’t always the case. Sometimes I didn’t do the diet, sometimes I lost the weight then didn’t deal with other issues. Usually, I thought doing the diet was the whole story. The diet puts cream on the spot. It doesn’t necessarily mean you won’t ever get a spot again. You have to believe that diets don’t work if you are purist and I struggle with anybody telling that I have to believe in anything.

For a number of years I was a deeply religious person, then I started having issues with some of the Bible. Now that is a huge problem if you are in a religious community:eek: At the start, it was just bits here and there, but once you start doubting parts of the Bible, you can lose your faith in all it says. I was warned that unless I believed I would spend eternity in damnation. Well, that was completely lost on me, because by then, I didn’t believe in Hell, so I had a get out clause;). Then everything fell to pieces when I stopped believing in the existence of God. Not a lot of hope left.:eek:

It was a difficult time, as it’s kinda cool having a God. Means you have someone to share you problems with. Someone there to hold your hand and be with you 24/7.. Losing God meant I was alone. It also meant I could sin without guilt though…which is also kind of cool :D

Anyway, this is how I feel about IE. How can I trust the books when you have to believe in something that I know is not true. It makes me doubt the whole system and also means that I will never be accepted by the IE community as I can't possibly believe in IE unless I also believe diets don't work.

Back