Learning to stay Thin Inside and Out

Week 3 Day 6

Chopped apple and ww yoghurt for breakfast.

Realised I had three packs yesterday so going to keep to one today. This has got to be the most boring week of RTM (apart from the fruit). I'm using the snacks as a meal replacement, but today I was naughty and had protein for two meals.

Dinner was green salad with a slice of ham and a hard boiled egg. Then a bowl of kiwi fruit, blueberries and raspberries followed by a ww yoghurt.

Had a lemon bar mid afternoon as a 'snack'.

Tea was marinaded quorn with chopped peppers, mushroom and some tomato pasta sauce. Then the leftover smoked salmon, then the other half of the blueberries and raspberries, then yet another yoghurt.

1100 cals and feeling a bit full :eek: right now. Only one pack and no off-plan food choices, just too much in quantity.

I'm planning to break the RTM rules on Sunday.

I have all the winter veggies of swede, turnip and parsnip ready for a hearty beef casserole, to be slow cooked using an M&S onion gravy with low cals, low carbs and only 1.4g fat per 100g. Drooling at the thought.

I didn't realise they were week 5 veggies when I got them today. That will be a whole week early, but I just thought s*d it - I'll go ahead anyway! I really crave something warm and hearty that will satisfy the kids too.

Veggies cooked can't beat them at all trust, never knew they were so damn good :D

Falling off the wagon...

Horrific last couple of days. I'm definitely out of ketosis :( and feeling hungry ALL the time. Yesterday I ate constantly. I think the problem is with the programme a bit here. I need to have two proper meals and reduce or remove the 'snacks' element. I didn't eat off plan - except for having four packs - including two bars, but jelly, yoghurt and fruit were eaten in plenty. I probably had about 2000 calories which is Way too high, even for maintaining. I find that apples in particular make me ravenously hungry about a hour after eating them.

Today I have set the slow cooker in motion for a hearty winter veg and beef casserole. Veggies are a week early, but I think they are needed right now. Second meal will be a big plate of cabbage. I also prefer to be using the seasonal veg than keep eating the imported salad veggies with their huge carbon footprint.

Going to keep plugging away to get my urge to eat back under control. I AM NOT going to allow myself to slide back into old habits.

hi there
i know how ypu are feeling, i remember panicing when i was out of ketosis - that horrible hungry feeling came back with a vengeance.

i used it as an excuse to eat - one of the reasons i put on weight is this irrational 'fear' of being hungry. i still struggle with it now. i think its something to do with having 3 kids and a hungry husband - food is always needing to be bought/thought about - when breakfast is finished i'm already thinking about lunch then dinner etc etc

i really think if i was on my own it would be so much easier (its not going to happen tho so i need to get it out of my head and deal with it)

i'm eating rubbish - you are staying on plan. keep it that way and don't worry too much at the moment, but it does sound like its something you need to keep an eye on.

i have found planning is essential. ive had a couple of weeks sick of cooking, can't think of what to make the kids for tea, really fed up - so as a consequence my diet has been awful and i have put on weight and feel crap about myself

today i am sitting down with the cookbooks, making a list and going to tesco armed with good intentions and willpower!

it sounds like you are taking control - slow cookers are great.

plan, plan, plan - and you will be fine!

daisy x

Uh huh it's all about plan plan plan
I was eating under 800 cals some days now I'm hitting 1500 with gym and everything will be upping to 2000cal very soon didn't wanna rush into it :)
good luck you'll be fine t_I I have faith in you

Hey TI

Well done at least for not going off plan. I think it is very difficult at this time of year with the cold weather, when all that our bodies crave are warming comforting foods. I don't think having the root veg earlier on is going to be too much of a problem. It is low gi and quite filing. My take on most of the RTM "rules" so to speak are that they are there to teach us restraint - something that we need out there in the big wide world of food. IE "yes I can eat anything I want, I just choose not to at this time" (I used this mantra big time in RTM and still do) Physically however it cannot do you any damage. Perhaps if you are having the comforting filling foods it will stop you wanting to snack on other bits??? Jelly is fine, the fruit and yoghurt do add cals. I had read lots of things prior to RTM about people experiencing that 1 hour later hunger with apples, and so I was very wary with them in the first stages of RTM. I didn't often eat them on their own. More as part of a meal : chopped up in yoghurt and things like that. I seem to be ok with them now thought, perhaps because I have a variety of fruits now and I don't have to rely on them quite so much as a major fruit source??? Have you been going for your WI's? And have you had a chat with your LLC about how you are feeling at this stage? Also have you done any food/mood diaries to help you spot when things are going slightly awry? The most important part of it all though is to be aware, and it sounds to me like you are.

Hope the casserole was a good one.

Jez
xx

the only thing i am tempted by right now are the cereal bars
i really want the geobar :) to substitute my peanut bar with
would that be a problem?

Ken, you are finished RTM you can eat whatever you like!!! just temper it with your own judgement hun, there is no reason you cannot have a geo bar - there are no restrictions anymore. BTW you have been doing 1500 cal for about a week, and now its time to increase again :)

Jez
xx

yeah ill be increasing to 1750 now :D
im loving it, the only thing i really have quite abit of is lovely fruit :D
i love fruit now and roast vegs :D

What herbs or spices, balsamic etc do you roast them in? WHat mixes of veggies works best, and what oven temp should it be?

Can you roast veggies in a slow cooker?

So many questions.... thanks for any answers. xx

Week 4 Day 1

hi there
i know how ypu are feeling, i remember panicing when i was out of ketosis - that horrible hungry feeling came back with a vengeance.

i used it as an excuse to eat - one of the reasons i put on weight is this irrational 'fear' of being hungry. i still struggle with it now. i think its something to do with having 3 kids and a hungry husband - food is always needing to be bought/thought about - when breakfast is finished i'm already thinking about lunch then dinner etc etc

it sounds like you are taking control - slow cookers are great.

plan, plan, plan - and you will be fine!

daisy x

Thanks Daisy for making me feel less alone in struggling - I feel like I hit a wall and I'm having to work hard to break it down, tunnel under or climb over. You're right - weekend has been constantly about food for the family and for myself - and my needs don't fit well with the family food needs at this stage on rtm. It's not so easy as when I was on packs which took only seconds to make up.

Desperate to make most use of the slow cooker. I need a bigger one for all the family though. The beef and winter veg in onion gravy casserole for lunch today was lovely and drew comments of suprise from the kids that I was eating the same as them :eek:. I added some potatoes to their plates though. Still way too much yoghurt, fruit and jelly at regular intervals during the day.

For my tea I had a big plate of cabbage and sprouts with pepper and a couple of rashers of very lean back bacon chopped into it. I used to love this as a student but used to add a large knob of butter and tomato ketchup. This time it was steam cooked (bacon dry fried) and needed no extra fat or sauce.

Only one pack today though - breakfast hot vanilla shake. Cals around 1000 so a lot better.

I know I can get back in control. Need to get back to running too. I have signed up for a 5k in mid March and am determined to run the full distance.

New years resolutions are all about fitness targets - back to competitive swimming, 5k and 10k runs, bagging a couple of munros and walking the Great Glen Way over 5 consecutive days.

Hi TI

KEEP CALM AND CARRY ON - Sounds like youare doing well.
Our LLC says you can't unlearn long term eating habits without the odd blip.
We are all prone to slipping. The difference now is that we are aware of it and determined not to let it become the norm again.
It is a panicky time. Ithink most of us have thought it would be so much easier to remain on abstinence. All or nothing seems easier than having to be in control.
I too eat loads of the jelly and fruit and yog. It seems safe, but I know I have too much sometimes. I eat a lot more fruit than Idid before LL. I used to hate raw apples - now I've got appleitis!
Another thing that takes getting used to is feeling your insides working properly again, digestion and bubbles and gurgles and movement. I don't like it even now.
Good luck over the Christmas period.
It'll be good to be able to eat something with your family won't it?

SB exactly the same, cant get enough of apples, never liked raw apples before LL, now love them :D beautiful thing :D
and t_i you will be fine :D

Starting Week 5

Back in control - enjoying eating and the variety now is more than sufficient to satisfy most cravings. Averaging about 1100 cals per day and feeling good about things.

Really busy with work and kids and Christmas preps so not been blogging, but still here and doing fine.

It feels like I am in a routine now and don't really have much to offer in the way of fresh observations that folk are interested in. So I'll probably only post occasionally from now on.

Hope everyone else managing fine.

We're loving all the snow and the schools were closed yesterday so we've been sledging and building igloos. More heavy snow forecast for Wed so likely to be a white Christmas and the kids unlikely to be back at school until after the hols.

Hope you all have a great Christmas.

xx

TI - well done for sticking with it and getting back in control. I'm a few weeks behind you so am reading your experience with interest as I'm sure I'll go through similar struggles in the weeks ahead.
We have only a very small dusting of snow but it's very cold and I can't seem to keep my toes warm at work ....roll on tomorrow night when I can veg at home in my cosy slippers!
Have a good christmas

Confession time....

:cry::cry:

What a difference two weeks makes. I fully lost control on Christmas Eve, stuck my head in the sweet bowl, bread bin and cake tin and stayed there in full binge mode. :break_diet:

Tried to stop after a couple of days, but too many temptations about and slid back into the depths, only to emerge this morning with the realisation that I have gained a staggering 16lbs. :eek:

I faced the LL scales tonight and acknowledged the gain, fronted up to the reasons for it and plotted the way forward. There are reasons for the gain and I have learned lessons. I had a good chat with my LLC, my adult head is in place and I am back on packs for at least two weeks of full abstinence.

Thankfully I am back at work and not at home with a focus on feeding the hoardes. Day one is almost over and I have found it easy enough. About to have my last pack for the day - a hot banana shake.

Lovely to hear from you TI, have really missed you being around :) The weight will just drop off hun, and don't feel bad, a whole load of people in my group are back on full abstinence for a bit after Xmas. At least you are addressing it straight away - lessons have indeed been learnt! Well done for facing up to it hun and getting back on track. Look forward to reading your posts and having a proper catch up. Are you still snowed in there?

Jez
xx

T_I sorry to hear about that
good news you are on the road back to where you want to be.

come on girl, you can crack this!!

daisy x

Back