Lemon Couscous Cake

Because you would normally have cous cous as part of meal with other free and super free foods that help to make it really filling and help limit how much of it you eat. When you have it as a substitute for flour in a cake, you don't get that and it's really easy to eat a few slices or more and consume a lot of calories just in snacks before you even start on your syns. If you are only doing it every now and then and are happy with your losses then don't worry about it. But if you are eating it a lot then it could potentially affect your losses and would be something you might want to change. But the official SW advice is that you should syn it.

I just heard about someone making this on Twitter - i thought "ooo free cake" but now I think i'm just better off using my 'syns' for actual chocolate or something Im 100% sure of the syns for.

But I do have a mega craving for lemon curd now.... ;)

I'm think i'll just play it safe and stay away! :)

cous cous cake again

This is from the SW website

2. Are couscous cake and lasagne-sheet ‘Doritos’ Free?

You might be disappointed to hear that they’re not. Because changing the use of a food can make it easier to over-eat, to protect your weight loss they become Synned.
When foods like pasta, rice and grains are used in their original form they’re low in energy density (calories), bulky, appetite-satisfying foods. Pasta, couscous and rice are usually the main ingredient in a meal packed with other Free Foods – giving it sufficient bulk to be satisfying as a meal in itself. However, when ground down, used as flour (like in couscous cake), seasoned crisps (like Doritos) or puréed (like smoothies) they’re often used as additions to a main meal… and on top of your day’s Syns. It is a very effective way of adding a lot of extra calories in a non-bulky way, and as such would then be counted as Syns.

Hello All,

Sorry to raise an old post from the dead again, but I've just joined SW and had this recipe recommended to me as low syn value. free depending on the ingredients. Looking at the quote from PatchworkPuss, I get what is being said, but the above quote from the website says that when things are ground down, that's when they become synned, something to do with needing less energy to digest and break them down, hence lower potential weight loss. But the cous cous cake doesn't use ground down cous cous, it uses nice little balls type of cous cous in its natural fresh from the supermarket shelf state, so it isn't synned, at least that's what 'Miss' in class said. Has anyone been told different by their class leader?

Thanks everyone!

Bye

Hello All,

Sorry to raise an old post from the dead again, but I've just joined SW and had this recipe recommended to me as low syn value. free depending on the ingredients. Looking at the quote from PatchworkPuss, I get what is being said, but the above quote from the website says that when things are ground down, that's when they become synned, something to do with needing less energy to digest and break them down, hence lower potential weight loss. But the cous cous cake doesn't use ground down cous cous, it uses nice little balls type of cous cous in its natural fresh from the supermarket shelf state, so it isn't synned, at least that's what 'Miss' in class said. Has anyone been told different by their class leader?

Thanks everyone!

Bye

I read it as saying when ground, (or) used as a flour substitute but to be honest I don't know how much clearer they can be when they pose the question "Is cous cous cake free" and answer "you might be disappointed to hear they're not" and it's a shame if consultants are giving different information in class :

Had a discussion about something similar at my group today. We were talking about making cheese sauce and the consultant said someone blended a tin of macaroni cheese (a few syns) and it made a thick sauce. I asked but would the pasta not then be synned as it was changed from a bulky food to a sauce. The consultant seemed to think not. So much conflicting theory, I think if anyone really wants this then the best thing is to try it once and if there's less or no loss on the scales that gives the answer whether it's worth it.

Back