Lynne: Low Carb Fan

Hi Lynne, I've enjoyed reading your diary so far. I think people use diaries to just blog anyway, a place where all your thoughts and bits and bobs get written down :)
I love the idea of that bacon thingamajig, will give that a go for a lunch idea for sure :)

'Here I go again', did you join Fatsecret?

Lauren, I am glad you are enjoying my witterings. I hope you enjoy the "non B, BLT" :p

Claire, I am OK today. Been busy taking 2 dogs and a cat to the vet for their yearly jab. I feel raumatised and glad to be home: 1 dog barked all the time at the vet (fear), one dog trembled all the time (fear), the cat yowled all the time and exited the car when we got home, leaving me in a cloud of acid fart (big fear).

I have DANDR in reach and will peruse to inspire me as to shat I will make for dinner, I havent a clue. Yes I see UK is in for some good weather. Currently its 31c at 4pm. Nice breeze, -luvverly.

Morning Lynne and a big hello and welcome from me :wavey:

Lucky you, living in Turkey - I was just there in May, and loved it! :)

Susie

Thanks Susie. I am glad you liked Turkey. Where did you go? We first came here (on recommendation of friends) in 2001 and were bowled over. It was dismaying how many of our friends werent interested in Turkey and one couple say they will never visit because its "too dangerous"!!! Last year two of our reluctant friends, caved in and came and they were stunned by it. We loved showing them around and they say they will return :).

Today I am feeling happy because the weight has gone down a little. But I do need to drink more. Going to a BBQ tonight, so that will be good, and easy ;)

A friend and I did a Jules Verne historic tour, so we flew in to Istanbul, travelled (in no particular order) to Izmir, Iznik, Ephesus, Troy, Pergamon and back to Istanbul.

Also went to Anzac Cove (as a Kiwi it has special significance and I bawled my eyes out), and it was so lovely to see it being so well used as a picturesque picnic spot by local families. One man even ran over and offered us some food! I thought Turkish people were lovely, so friendly and welcoming - and generally smiled sweetly whenever I attempted any Turkish :D

Whereabouts are you? Enjoy your BBQ :)

Ooh Sally I would have bawled too. I got weepy just reading the memorial online!! ANZAC - Turkish Memorial at Anzac Cove I hear Capadoccia is wonderful, especially if you take a balloon trip over it. We live in a village surrounded by mountains near Fethiye. Its a proper Turkish community, I am trying to learn the language, its tricky :/. there are other expats here, I sincerely hope it never overtakes the village.....

Ooh Sally I would have bawled too. I got weepy just reading the memorial online!! ANZAC - Turkish Memorial at Anzac Cove

Oh I know, I completely lost it there, get choked up just thinking about it now! :)

And I know what you mean about the language - I'd been practising Tesekkur ederim all week, said it to the Customs man at the airport when we were leaving, and he made a face, so I apologised and explained I'd been trying to practice to get it right and he said "Take a break"! :8855:

Susie

ROFLMAO!!!! Awww, at least you tried! The grammar is a nightmare to remember, especially when chatting (using the term 'chat' loosely), and not helped by the fact that it seems this area is like banjo territory and if you speak the Turkish equivalent of the Queen's English, they either don't understand OR they correct you, and I know, often their correction is very wrong. So I struggle on.

Last edited:
I have been snacking on nuts. Last night, I decided to have a refresher in how many carbs are in them. Upshot, it turns out the almonds are at the higher end, so I am switching to walnuts and brazils. But I LOVE my Almond porridge or Mim made with 2/3ds almond flour. So, I will continue with that unless I hit a major stall.

I have a nice glass container to keep them in, and I will take a few and leave the container 'over there' in the kitchen, so I cant continue to pick.

Had a little bit of a go on my resistance bands. I have saved some youtube vids and plan to follow them. Did arms today but tomorrow the 'abs' get it.....

Just back from BBQ. I am not sure what I ate. It wasn't very well lit. I know i had chicken and meatballs. I had a carrot, garlic and mayo dish, 1 piece of beetroot and a tiny bit of red cabbage. Some esme (spicy tomato) runner beans, Mushrooms with mint, and russian salad. Yes it did have potato in, but not much.... Had no bread, cigara borek, pasta OR rice. Dead chuffed with that. Oh AND I won the raffle, and chose the red wine instead of the chocolate. BT, I dont drink wine, but DH is happy.

Hi Lynne, just catching up on diaries. Enjoyed reading yours. Turkey sounds lovely.

Love the animal 'outing' to the vets :)

Gosh well done you on saying no to borek!

Other peoples' parties are tricky, it's hard not to seem impolite while you're grilling them about the contents of their lovely spread :D

How long did it take to feel like you were accepted in your village?

Coffeelover. I am glad you have enjoyed my tales. Our pets are an endless source of fun (and headaches). We now have 5 rescue dogs. 4 of them are Turkish. So many needy, so many needing care and homes. So you take some in, and they make you laugh, and cuss... :)

Susie, the BBQ was a fundraiser, a big do. Last year it raised money for 2 children to get hearing aids. To be honest, I am not sure about what this year's one was in aid of specifically. But we have been to others also, some to raise funds for operations on a 16 year old's legs, she has cerebral palsy and needed the ops in order to walk. Interestingly after her first op, she spoke as she came round. In 16 years she had never spoken. Now they know there's hope she will be able to talk :p Great fun was had.

The table was long and lit by one candle. So I took anything that was obviously not carby. Seems I didn't do too badly. Today I had lost 1lb, so that was a bonus.

We have never had any problem here, maybe we are lucky or maybe we just haven't antagonised the neighbours. I know some expats are ham fisted in their communications with their neighbours. All our immediate neighbours are Turkish, and they are all absolutely lovely. I hear that some Turks see us here as a positive, some aren't so nice. But we havent had any bad experiences. We go walking and say Merhaba to people. They usually respond. Once we were given a freshly cut bunch of grapes. Another time, a picnicking family instantly offered us tea. When I declined and told them (in Turkish) that one of our dogs (that we were walking) was crazy, i was told 'Your Turkish is very good' (which I dont necessarily agree with, but lovely of them to say). As we walked on, we commented that it would be unlikely to see picnickers in the uk, say hello to them and instantly be offered a cuppa... Its part of the magic of living here.

Here's a photo of our place, the big pine is in our garden and were told way over 100 years old.

Uzumlu.jpg

Last edited:
Oh wow the rust-orangey one? That's beautiful, and what a lovely setting!

With a new community, I always believe a positive outlook is the key to getting on with people - and it sounds like you have that in buckets :) That, and speaking their language - I can't believe expats who don't even attempt to learn a few words.

And what a lovely uplifting story about the young girl - imagine speaking for the first time ever!

Thanks Susie :) villa is different shades of pink plus white. I love the creamy yellow shade of some villas, but SO many are that colour, so I decided on Pink :) The setting is absolutely amazing, and one of the mountains near us has a Lycian settlement, called Cadianda (the beginning of it is to the right of my photo), with baths, stadium and amphitheatre in it. We are SO lucky, it is only 6 kms by road or a walk straight up. And because the road is so bad, it doesn't have many visitors, so you generally have it to yourself. Amazing and very special. This isn't our blog, but I thought it might be interesting. Fethiye Fogies: Our trip to the ancient Cadianda site

It amazes me that people live here without trying the language, it seems. It amazes me MORE that some people dont even pronounce the place names properly!!!!! Really puts my teeth on edge.

Don't ask me what happened, today was going well, I even did the ironing! Then I began to feel irritable, the fish hadn't defrosted so I ate a pizza!!! If it hadnt been there, i couldnt have eaten it (blame DH), none left now. Sooo... Dont worry, I will be right back at it tomorrow.

Oh Lynne, I love your home and the village sounds just so wonderful. I'm well jealous, I think I might come out there and join you one day with my dog gang.

Youve gone and got my brain ticking hahah......I don't like living in Britain you see.

We're all coming to visit :D

Don't worry about the pizza hun, they are so hard to resist when they are in the house. Breads, pastries and pizza are my Achilles heels :(

Back