Michael Mosley Eat, Fast and Live Longer on BBC

There's seems to be so many different patterns out there, I would never be able to do 5-2 pattern I am more likely to do 1-1. This way I won't get bored of one or the other. There's another one I found and to be honest this looks like my eating habits, I could happily not eat at all till about 2 pm then go for it :) It's called the Fast 5 plan and you do all your eating during a period of 5 hour. So if you eat lunch at 2pm, a snack at around 4pm then you eat dinner at 6pm and that is it!!!
Here's the website
Bottom line is this will be different for everyone and we would only know what works if we give it a try, my grandma just did it, fasting was part of her existence and as kids and teenagers we were also encourage to fast during lent etc.
I am starting it on Monday but not yet sure what pattern I will follow.

Time for me to confess then, I've signed up to JUDDD from Tuesday! Having this weekend off everything to celebrate W's birthday first .... ;o)

P x

Time for me to confess then, I've signed up to JUDDD from Tuesday! Having this weekend off everything to celebrate W's birthday first .... ;o)

P x

Oooo you little cheeky so-and-so lol!

Let's make sure we post our results so we can see what is working out and what isn't.

Sure you mean conceived Laura?

oooh P I didn't see that one coming, enjoy your FREE weekend and Will's Happy DAy. :D

Hiya girlies, did you see this program on Monday night? I found it very interesting and so much of it has struck a cord with me. Afterwards both myself and my sister were talking about my grandma. She lived until she was 82 and was a thin woman all her life and never watched what she ate, Romanian food especially in the Country is very rich, everything is enjoyed with copious amounts of fat thrown in. However one thing she always did do was fast every Friday for religious reasons. She would eat nothing that day until 8pm after the sun has set and then she would have a no protein or dairy meal, strictly vegetarian.

Hi guys, just saying hi! I watched this on BBC i and found it very interesting, just for the health benefits alone.. A couple of the girls a work have decided to give it a go, but still a bit unsure. Not sure I have enough will power lol! Will be very intereseted to see how you all get on. It may spur me on to give it go :rolleyes: Good luck xx

I started today and I worked out that I can have quite a bit of real food for my so called fast day, my first meal consisted of four yummy wheatbran pancakes with coconut greek yogurt and stewed raspberries all for 214 cals.

i had a quick squint at the first link for BBC news and this bit stuck in my head One area of current research into diet is Alternate Day fasting (ADF), involving eating what you want one day, then a very restricted diet (fewer than 600 calories) the next, and most surprisingly, it does not seem to matter that much what you eat on non-fast days. It made me think that I personaly would binge binge binge then fast or start the day fasting then binge... cant really see the health benefits in that.... ill stick with Dukan

I think this is once again a debate that will divide people. It questions everything we've been told about food so its hard to look at it because we have very preconcept ideas of what a healthy diet is, its been drummed into us for like ever but personally (and all of this is just my humble opinion I am not trying to convert anyone to anything we are all here adults and we have the right to choose what we think or what works best for us) the bottom line is people just can't seem to grasp it and make it work, we all know what we should do but somehow we cannnot manage it, so i am left wondering why is that? Heck even my GP is a size 20 and she should know better, why can she be slim and not worry about food all the time?
The bit that struck a cord with me was that after only 5 weeks of being on this plan he reduced his risks of heart and cancer dissease by HALF!! that's whats most important to me at this point.
I loved Dukan for loosing my podge so quickly, I loved the safety of the cruise and the ketosis induced stage but I have also done this long enough to know that outside ketosis life is HARD no matter what and most of us struggle to keep a reign on it (also being told and encouraged to eat a full chicken a day can't be terribly healthy). I found it incredibly hard to get back on it after one week holiday. Binge eating is a risk no matter what plan you follow and is a reality I have to live with and manage the best I can.
For now I can but try who knows what the future holds.

Oh and you could see Michael's face when he realized that the other 50 something year old was indeed a different species compared to himself even though he looked about the same. That guy was following a CRON plan and after a year his risk of developing any of the top killing diseases was one in a million and this was scientifically proven.

Cron is a tough one i know i would never be able to sustain that, it would drive me insane but there's a lot of folk there who are living well into their golden years claiming to be fit and healthy and enjoying things their friends of the same age wouldn't dream like wild sex well into their 70's:eek:, and for this reason alone i don't even want to consider it LOL

Like ellie1969 I shall stick with Dukan, it works so very well and is so easy to do. I have very quickly got my weight down to a decent BMI, and even better my body fat ratio is 23% and dropping, which for my age is very good. I don't want to mess my body around with different diets (I'm not an experienced dieter, other than cutting out carbs last year this is my first diet) and to be honest, the stabilisation stage with its strict protein only day is much the same as a fast day as it is inevitably going to be a reduced calorie day. That is the day that makes up for the minor gains during the rest of the week. As I plan to maintain a very low carb future, for health reasons, and will at stabilisation slightly up the fat intake and maybe add occasional low sugar fruit, and a bit of plonk, I don't think I will need a fast day beyond the protein day. Eat anything I want? Ok, a bit of cheese here and there, maybe lamb shanks occasionally, chocolate? Nope. Bread? Nope. Pasta? Nope. Will I ever fast in the future? maybe, but I'd like to see more research first. But for now, while I think the research is interesting, I do not see that fasting is viable for most people. I imagine a lot of bingeing, then on fast day the odd binge will creep in.......a bad day at work, or some other source of stress....But please fasters, please keep us updated on your progress, and I wish you all a slim and healthy future!

Was interesting, wasn't it? But I agree with grumpy, I've found a balance now with Dukan that works for me so I'm not going to consciously play around with other diets.
My weight is fairly stable now, I'm so pleased with my new slim bod, Im just careful with the carbs and the fat. Tend to avoid routine crisps, bread, potatoes and pasta, but indulge myself with lots of lovely veg and protein. Sometimes I find the thursday pp day a bit difficult to fit in, but I do it on another day and it doesn't seem to make much difference. That's my 'fast' day. A kind of secular fish on friday day. I do have my chocolate fix after my meal every night though - my little treat!
Don't really want to live for ever anyway, just be fit and healthy and enjoy the life I've got

Once you are in Stabilization you can safely try CRON.
I think you can try CRON in Conso too...
Not forgetting the Protein Thursday thought...
I have to research some more before I try it..

Back