Michael Mosley Eat, Fast and Live Longer on BBC

I was born in the heart of Transylvania will those credentials do? LOL

Vivamus said:
Interesting. Did a PV day yesterday, after my first 2 'fasting days'. Also had wine (blame it on the boogie-erm, no- blame it on Saturday night :)) and some hummous with wholemeal pita. VERY surprised to weigh the same as I did yesterday morning. No expected 'bounceback', yay!

Do hope I'm not in for a nasty surprise tomorrow, heh.

And I'd love to live forever. Anyone know any vampires willing to help a girl out? :)

LOVE it! :D

P x

I have just watched this on YouTube too. Very interesting :)

I am doing the Alternate Day Fast. I also saw the Horizon Michael Mosley programme and it spurred me to start it as people in my family have suffered from many of the diseases that should be reduced by fasting. Weight loss is also important to me as I am considerably overweight. I have been doing the day on/day off, which I've found relatively easy. In fact much easier than the Exante diet I did last year. I've lost about 2.5kg in 10 days which is pretty good for me.

Interesting. Did a PV day yesterday, after my first 2 'fasting days'. Also had wine (blame it on the boogie-erm, no- blame it on Saturday night :)) and some hummous with wholemeal pita. VERY surprised to weigh the same as I did yesterday morning. No expected 'bounceback', yay!

Do hope I'm not in for a nasty surprise tomorrow, heh.

And I'd love to live forever. Anyone know any vampires willing to help a girl out? :)

Hi Vivamus, how are you getting on? Are you still doing it?

Glad it is working for you too Vivamus. Although I am much heavier than you and my stomach is still far from flat, I also feel less bloated since doing the day on, day off alternate day fasting. I think it is because I am giving my body a rest.

Have a great weekend.

Second week of day on day off ADF, and I feel great. Actually much better than before I started when I was trying to lose weight on a low calorie healthy diet. I have loads of energy and walked 1½ miles Tuesday and Wednesday and about 2½ miles yesterday, all trips which I would have normally used the car.

I eat a meal of 500 calories on my fast days as advocated by Krista Varady, aka Michael Mosley's plan so I don't really fast for an entire day. I usually have this meal early afternoon. I want the long term health benefit just as much as the weight loss, however if I don't lose weight I know I stand a higher chance of getting lots of health problems and diseases. So ADF seems a win-win for me if it works and I can sustain it in the long term.

I lost over 3 stone last year with Exante but put most of it back on because moving from a VLCD to real food and maintaining the weight loss is very difficult and I never really got back on track properly after a 3 week holiday. With VLCD you feel deprived and go a bit mad eating all the things you have missed after months on VLCD. I can imagine doing the ADF, or a version of it, or life because I can always look forward to having anything I want the following day when I'm off the fast. By the next day if I still really want it I have it, but I seem to happy with normal healthy food and have mainly been craving fruit and sushi!

ADF is also good for the wallet as I am not spending nearly as much on impulse food buys or "treats".

Here's the link to the BBC Horizon programme on youtube as it is now no longer available on i-player BBC Horizon 2012: Eat, Fast and Live Longer - YouTube

Julie

Vivamus, thank you for the response that is very interesting. I did watch it on You tube and found it interesting and considering it myself. However, the one thing about Dukan that I like so much is that we are allowed to eat as much of the allowed food as we want. In fact we are told the more protein the better! I will find it very difficult if not impossible to stick to one meal of 500 calories a day on fast days.

I know this was mentioned earlier but I'm still not clear if you are meant to eat the 500 calories in one meal a day only or if they could be spread throughout the day. I assume this may dilute the effect, does anyone know?

I know this was mentioned earlier but I'm still not clear if you are meant to eat the 500 calories in one meal a day only or if they could be spread throughout the day. I assume this may dilute the effect, does anyone know?

I too wondered about this.
After watching the programme, I thought it meant to eat one 500cal meal on a fast day.
However one of the lasses I work with took it to mean spread the 500cal throughout the day.
So, I am still none the wiser :)

I spread mine over 2 meals and have been absolutely fine in fact I don't even feel hungry on my DD's and I look forward to them after a full day of UP. I adore this plan I never feel bloated or heavy not even after an UP day when I usually indulge, I can't boast of great losses yet as this is my second week and I didn't check the scales for 4 days(still can't believe this one). I always had a problem with eating as much protein as you want I don't think is normal to have to eat a full chicken/day because you're hungry that to me is not terribly healthy. However I can see its place for loosing the weight quickly, I loved it for shifting the bulk of my weight quickly, it was by far the easiest plan I did for both shifting the fat and making me feel a bit more normal socially. But still not convinced that conso and stabilization is the secret to never pilling the weight back on. You will still have to go through periods of gains then back on periods of PP restricting to lose it and all that jazz becasue life happens and sometimes you have to have a weekend where you eat, eat and more eat (I want to be able to embrace and enjoy these periods not dread them and make myself feel worthless and weak and stupid for not being able to say no to myself).
While on high protein diets your body is in constant new cell production and you do not give it time to rest and repair itself, is working on full throttle all the time to keep you topped up. That's what I have a problem with and that one phrase made me switch to JUDDD immediately. I want to lose weight and look nice in smaller clothes but I don't want to reach my silver years with a slinky but knackered body. I think this is the perfect maintenance plan so easy worry and fuss free, love it.

I reached Consolidation and now I reduced the protein to minimum and also the calories.
I'm implementing CRON at the same time. And so far it is working well.
I added fruits, bread, cheese every day.
My body is not on ketosis anymore and I do not miss the days when I would eat a whole chicken either.
I have almonds, chocolate and other treats once in a while ( two times a week) and I have to add pasta, rice etc too.
I think it is a great diet.

Hopefully I will have some time over the weekend to look into it because I would like to give it a go. I assume there are no restrictions on food choices other than just sticking to 500 calories a day?

Passionflower, it sounds as if you were in conso so it will be very interesting to see if you lose with this plan. Elisheba, I wish I had your willpower. I unfortunately am a binger so don't know how successful I will be with this but I too think it's time for me to stop eating so much protein. It would be interesting to hear what Dr Dukan's views would be in regards to to the programs claims on what it can do to the body's cells.

I am very, very grateful to Dr Dukan for his diet.
I lost over 100 lbs on this diet so it is working.
And the diet is not only about losing weight but also maintaining a normal weight.
Just remember, Dukan diet has 4 phases.

I watched BBC Horizon 2012: Eat, Fast and Live Longer - YouTube again and Krista Varady suggested to Michael Mosley that he ate only one meal daily and at lunchtime (600 calories for men 400-500 for women) and followed a routine of two consecutive days fast then five consecutive days feed. However, a little later in the programme Michael was definitely splitting his 600 calories into two meals - breakfast and an evening meal. Although I haven't seen the twitter message it sounds as if he didn't do his fast days consecutively. However, he lost over a stone from doing 5 weeks on this plan and his medical tests were very promising. Men tend to lose weight more quickly than women.

I eat my 400-500 calories in two meals. One about 2pm and the other around 6pm, mainly because I am hungry by 2pm but I try and eat them within a four hour window to get maximum fasting as recommended by other intermittent fasters. This means approx 19 hours before the 2pm meal and approx 14 hours after 6pm before I break the fast on the feed day. I'm feeling really energetic even on my fast days.

I'm trying to get into a routine of only eating two meals on my feed day to get used to feeling hungry before I eat. I am a picker at heart which is probably why I got so heavy. I'm eating about 1800-2000 cals on my feed day but there will be days when I go over this especially with some special occasions coming up.

I wonder if I would lose more if I just ate one 400-500 meal in the middle of the day on my fast days. What do you think? I am doing the one day fast, one day feed routine trying to fit in around my lifestyles. There will be occasions when I do a two day fast then two days feed because I have social events. I'm going to see this makes any difference to my weight loss as that is the only thing I can chart at home.

Last edited:
Thanks so much for this info Vivamus. Very interesting article. I've not been unhappy with my weight loss so far, but I am going to try just eating one 400-500 cal meal a day on my fast days to see if it makes a difference. I've also been drinking a couple of Dr Pepper zero or Diet Coke cans a day and I'm going to stop drinking that too. I'll stick to black tea or water. I'm as interested in the health benefits as the weight loss, but I'd love to lose a reasonable amount in the process.

Hopefully you'll be able to post links soon. I am not sure if this is the right board either but I think it is probably still the best option on Minimins for ADF the Michael Mosley/Krista Varady way. I've started a blog, but I think I did it wrong. The typeface in it looks terrible, different sizes and spacing,and can't work out how to edit it. I wanted to start a blog for ADF. Feel free to add any advice or comments there.

I did not like the JUDDD plan because in the documentary after a day down they went to a fast-food chain and got hamburgers and french fries.
That did not sound right for me.
The power of example....
But everyone is free to choose what they think it's best for them.

This talk of high protein diets causing new cell production and therefore needing rest to repair,can you please post the evidence? I have searched google scholar but am struggling here....I can find plenty about the crucial role of protein for cell growth and maintainence, and issues concerning deficiency but this need for rest and repair? The only problem I have found in the research is a risk to the kidneys for those with chronic kidney disease which must be evaluated against the risks of obesity by a clinician. Otherwise such protein diets are a perfectly healthy way to lose significant fat, especially with Dukans stages which lead to a very balanced diet (although I do not approve of the carb reintroduction though dukan allows only smallish amounts). Even the cruise stage provides more vital vitamins and minerals than many 'ordinary' diets of sandwiches, pizza, chips, burgers, chocolates etc . Not trying to be difficult here, but I would like to see the evidence is all!

Also I'm interested to hear about particularly active people fasting. I regularly run long distances, enjoy lots of other exercise, and work very long hours in a physically and mentally demanding job, I'd love to hear how others with such lifestyles get on?

Back