Mince?

JoJo1988

Hi everyone,

I was just wondering if I could use normal beef mince when making a bolognese tomorrow? I usually get the extra lean but the hubby picked up the normal beef mince and as we are on a tight budget, i cant go out and get anymore. would it still be free if i completely drained it when im cooking it before i add it to my bolognese sauce?

Ive done this before when we have had to buy just lean rather than extra lean but im a bit weary of doing it with the normal stuff :confused:

xxx

You can use it but you would need to syn it sorry. no amount of draining and rinsing is going to make it syn free I'm afraid

Beef mince, less than 12% fat, 100g raw 2½
Beef mince, less than 20% fat, 100g raw 6½
Beef mince, more than 20% fat, 100g raw 9

aww, no way :( thanks....i think i'll just have the pasta and leave the mince for the hubby then. i'll remember never to let him go to the shop again, lol :) xxx

I always buy lean mince, not extra lean. Extra Lean is so expensive! I cook half pack at time and drain as I go along.
If I make chilli or spaggers or cottage pie I basically use same base - 400g lean mince, 2 tins of tomatoes.2-3 onions, 2-3 garlic, 2 carrots, 1 corgette, load mushrooms and 2-3 peppers dependant on size.

I know its not strictly free but it makes larger portion with all that stuff in - serving 6 instead of 4.

It's a tweak but I do this all the time and I got to target without this impacting my loss.

Not all turkey mince is syn free - there are actually very few that are. Sainsbury turkey breast and organic turkey mince are free but most have a small syn value according to the latest SW advice

PatchworkPuss said:
Not all turkey mince is syn free - there are actually very few that are. Sainsbury turkey breast and organic turkey mince are free but most have a small syn value according to the latest SW advice

Oh god, I always thought turkey mince was free. I never count it as syns :(

Turkey mince, more than 5% fat, 100g raw 2
Turkey mince, extra lean breast meat, 100g raw Free

Dug this out from an old thread

"Recent research has shown that extra lean lamb, pork and turkey mince is no longer readily available in supermarkets.
If you come across a Food Optimising recipe that uses one of these extra lean minces and you’re unable to get hold of it, we recommend that you ask your butcher to mince very lean meat for you (with no skin if it’s poultry) or you mince your own at home. This way you can guarantee it’s Free!
Our database currently shows that there are no packs of extra lean lamb mince available in UK or Irish supermarkets and only the following turkey and pork mince:

• Tesco Healthy Living Pork Mince, chilled, 500g pack
  • Sainsbury’s Taste the Difference Free Range Turkey Mince, chilled, 500g pack
Fortunately extra lean beef mince is still readily available in all the major retailers."

Back